Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   I need a hobby (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525278)

Victorious 05-04-2018 12:34 PM

I need a hobby

I don't know if this is the best place for this thread, but it seems the hobby forum is probably the best place ;)

Like the title says, I don't have a hobby. Really, for the most part, I'm fine with that, but it's actually a bit of a problem, mainly with Jo. Jo and her dad have tons of stuff in common, they love sports so dh coaches her soccer and softball team, they love games and have one card/strategy game they play together all of the time, and they love Star Wars so they go to the movies together.

I've noticed lately, that Jo has been asking more and more for me to play a game with her and I think she's trying really hard to find a "thing" with me. I hate most board games :shifty . I can tolerate trivia games (my mind is a steel trap for the trivial) and I'll play super short games like flat marbles or pictionary, but it's not my first choice for sure. And, after a long day at work, none of it sounds enjoyable; whereas dh finds games a way to unwind.

My coordination is terrible so I gave up on sports a long time ago. I dabbled in sewing/knitting/crocheting when the girls were little, but realized that my poor coordination meant too much frustration.

She does love watching The Great British Bakeoff with me and I like to bake, but I don't need to make a regular habit of it because of my weight issues.

I know part of my problem is the internet. I think it's ADHD related, but I constantly crave information. I'm always researching and going on bunny trails and glued to my phone, not for social media, but to learn something new! I realize it's not healthy, but it's what I crave so much.

I'm also in need of a hobby to find a reason to take some me time as well. Dh plays games with a friend, sings in the church praise team and community choir, and he always says we need to find me something, but there's just not much I'm interested in :shrug

So, hobby ideas for someone that is a klutz, has a smallish budget and would like to engage her high energy nine year old. :popcorn

mamaKristin 05-04-2018 12:38 PM

Re: I need a hobby

That very question is how I ended up in roller derby.

Technically, I referee, and only played 2 games. But both my daughters play juniors, and I ref (and older daughter is starting to referee too). And my son will help out with games too.

I'd love to get back into theatre too, but timing is so tricky.

Aerynne 05-04-2018 01:37 PM

Music?

Flash mobbing?

Yoga? Yoga helps my anxiety a ton!

If you are struggling with weight I would try to find something active you enjoy. I thought I hated being active because I hated gym class but it turns out I love relatively flat hikes, rollerblading, and ice skating. My mom thought she hated being active for four or five decades until she discovered she loves fencing. You just never know what will do it for you.

Lately I have enjoyed visiting model homes with my kids.

light of mine 05-04-2018 02:20 PM

I love needlework, and all my kids like to crochet with me even the littlest tries. But both me and oldest dd (12) love cross stitch. I work on big projects and she does the smaller ones. It's not complicated, she caught on right away, we both like sitting down with an episode of something on tv and chatting or just taking alone time.

RiverRock 05-04-2018 02:49 PM

Collage art? It's kinda' mindless, you can read National Geographic (or other magazine) articles before cutting out pictures, the subject can be serious or whimsical and always changes.

Inspiration: Look up Jesse Treece's collage art.

Make a fairy garden. It can be with self hardening clay that is later painted with dollar store paints, or twigs and twine. Basically you can chat while keeping your hands busy. If you don't want to commit to an entire garden you can make one with your dd.

Watch youtube videos to learn choreography from anything that interests you. Napoleon Dynamite's dance routine could be fun. Or Michael Jackson's Thriller. Do you have any gaming systems to do Just Dance of Dance, Dance Revolution that you can do together? If no, youtube is free.

mommylove 05-04-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6140050)

Flash mobbing?

Love this! I've never done one, but I have a friend who does. It sounds SO fun!

How about bike riding? Low key, like to a park or along a body of water.

Are you patient artistic enough to do handpainted nail art?

What do you like to do in your down time? Knowing this may lead us to more ideas.

ViolaMum 05-04-2018 02:51 PM

Mother-Daughter Book Club?

RiverRock 05-04-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6140057)
Mother-Daughter Book Club?

Or cookbook club? You can choose a chef/author and/or country and research and choose recipes to try. You can watch tv show episodes and sign out books from the library.

MegMarch 05-04-2018 03:34 PM

Bake and donate?

If you can nibble and sip, you could probably do trivia team stuff. Restaurants here do them a lot. You could bone up by walking with podcasts.

Swimming in the evenings might be very nice.

For me time, I like reading in restaurants or cafes. It lets me be around people without expectations. I also like driving around with NPR on or mowing to soundtracks.

ValiantJoy07 05-04-2018 06:55 PM

2 of my dd's love to take walks with me. We just go wander and look for "nature surprises" (we live in the city). :heart
We have been working through some of the activities in this book just picking spots to observe in our neighborhood throughout the year, sometimes we write down stuff (usually dd2 likes the data aspect) some times we just reflect on how different it looks since the last time we were there.

Soliloquy 05-04-2018 10:18 PM

I'll just list my hobbies.

hiking
T-Tapp and other fitness pursuits that aren't sports
snow shoeing and skiing when I get the chance (which is hardly ever :cry)
reading everything I can from the library on a topic that interests me
gardening
houseplants
botany

I don't like any kind of crafting or needlework. I hate team sports. There are a few games I like but I generally get bored by the ones my kids like. Video games bore me except for Tetris and fitness games.

Would you enjoy learning a foreign language with your daughter? Duolino and Memrise are free and many libraries have free access to Mango or similar.

Sketching? I have a great YouTube channel that even turned me into a tolerable sketch artist. And that's saying something.

Kiara.I 05-04-2018 11:45 PM

I was going to suggest walks too. Great talking/bonding time. You could add in praying time while walking, if you wanted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 05-04-2018 11:49 PM

Forgot to add that I enjoy math as a hobby. I haven't done much of it in quite some time because I don't get a solid block of time but I do read theoretical math books and theoretical physics books.

And I think one of the reasons I enjoy sketching is that I am developing a skill that allows me to reflect reality on paper. So, it's kinda mathy in that way. And I learned it's not really about talent. :wow It's about learning the skills and practicing.

light of mine 05-11-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6140133)
Sketching? I have a great YouTube channel that even turned me into a tolerable sketch artist. And that's saying something.

I would love a link :)

Quiteria 05-11-2018 09:51 PM

Walking
Gardening
Cooking healthier foods for snacks/meals that you eat anyway, rather than baking dessert/extra food.
I really like the language idea if you have a great trivia memory...maybe it would work with words even if the subject didn't stick in school...languages aren't often taught well in the US, esp. previously.

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Digital art / photography ...not so much fine motor coordination required as most arts and crafts...they make very cheap (like $10) clip-on fancy photo lenses for cell phones now.