Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Cactus flowers! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527173)

Hermana Linda 05-27-2019 04:08 PM

Cactus flowers!
 
I'm so excited for this year's cactus flowers!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...404dd6092c.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Here's what one looks like close up.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2eb4d9bc03.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

ThirstyTurtle 05-27-2019 07:09 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
My grandmother had cacti like that! The oldest and biggest one was one that her mom raised, and she had it at least 35 years after her mom died before that cactus finally died. We do not live in a desert climate though, so it was in a large pot that was brought inside in the cooler months. I loved the flowers they would make! <3

Hermana Linda 05-27-2019 07:23 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle (Post 6181698)
My grandmother had cacti like that! The oldest and biggest one was one that her mom raised, and she had it at least 35 years after her mom died before that cactus finally died. We do not live in a desert climate though, so it was in a large pot that was brought inside in the cooler months. I loved the flowers they would make! <3

[emoji813]

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

heartofjoy 05-27-2019 08:09 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
Lovely! My avatar used to be a cactus flower!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mummy2boys 05-28-2019 11:28 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
Keep us updated with more photos please :)

Hermana Linda 05-29-2019 06:11 AM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mummy2boys (Post 6181800)
Keep us updated with more photos please :)

I will! :yes

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 05-29-2019 12:15 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
I love them!

Just curious - are the flowers prickly (like the cactus plant) or fuzzy?

Hermana Linda 05-29-2019 12:38 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6181855)
I love them!



Just curious - are the flowers prickly (like the cactus plant) or fuzzy?

No. The bud is fuzzy, but the actual flower is regular flower petals. I could post pics from prior years, but that would ruin the suspense. ;)

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

charla 05-29-2019 01:16 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
I had a Christmas cactus for years but it never bloomed. I'm enjoying your pictures!

MaySunflowers 05-29-2019 02:06 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermana Linda (Post 6181861)
No. The bud is fuzzy, but the actual flower is regular flower petals. I could post pics from prior years, but that would ruin the suspense. ;)

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

This is my third year watching! Lol

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hermana Linda 05-29-2019 02:12 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
This year they seem on track to open at different times. Let year I had 7 open the same night!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaySunflowers (Post 6181875)
This is my third year watching! Lol

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Wish I could give you a badge or something!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

MaySunflowers 05-29-2019 02:14 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
I don't know what it is... I just love waiting on things blooming!

Months ago I bought a death row orchid... convinced it would be white based on the dried up remnants of flowers.... ended up red! Too exciting! Lol

Hermana Linda 05-29-2019 02:15 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaySunflowers (Post 6181880)
I don't know what it is... I just love waiting on things blooming!



Months ago I bought a death row orchid... convinced it would be white based on the dried up remnants of flowers.... ended up red! Too exciting! Lol

How cool! Do you have pics?


Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

MaySunflowers 05-29-2019 02:21 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
Of course! Cambria orchid.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0f9092bb18.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hermana Linda 05-29-2019 02:36 PM

Re: Cactus flowers!
 
Wow!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.