Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Helping children tell the difference between 6 and 9 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=353384)

Herbwifemama 04-04-2010 03:16 PM

Helping children tell the difference between 6 and 9

I saw a thread with useful tips about b and d, and my dd has an issue with 6 and 9. I know she's still young, but she wants to know. She says that a 6 is and upside down 6. She thinks a 9 is a six. And even if she knew the 6 and 9, calling one the "upside down" version of the other isn't helpful, I don't think. Does anyone have some helpful tips for this lil confusion?

Singingmom 04-04-2010 04:06 PM

Re: Helping children tell the difference between 6 and 9

Would it help if you had her learn to write the 9 with a ball and stick? It would be an upside down b, not a 6...more confusion? :lol Maybe she could more easily see how the printed curvy version looked like the ball and stick version... :think

Herbwifemama 04-04-2010 04:10 PM

I don't know what you mean by ball and stick? She's barely writing letters, we haven't touched numbers yet.

Singingmom 04-04-2010 04:15 PM

Ok, some people write the 9 just like it looks when you type it, as one long swoop. Others write it making the loop counterclockwise and then bringing the line straight down... In this example they show the big one looking like the upside down 6 and then the child practices the one I'm describing.http://akidsheart.com/threer/lvl1/no9prnt.htm

If she got used to the "ball and stick" 9, it wouldn't look like an upside down 6...make any sense?

Herbwifemama 04-04-2010 04:22 PM

Yeah. :) I write the ball and stick 9, so perhaps we will practice writing them and it will help her figure it out. Her biggest experience with numbers is the digital clock readout, and they look the same, just reversed. She has issues with 5 and 2 for that reason. She also plays cards, but same deal there.

Singingmom 04-04-2010 04:29 PM

Oh sure, the digital clock would do that! :)

AngelaVA 04-04-2010 04:37 PM

One thing I have done when kids are stuck on a reversal like this is to pick one of the letters or numbers, let's say 6 and practice that one a lot, in a lot of different ways, and don't practice 9 at all for awhile. Practice it lots of different ways, markers, pencil, chalk, shaving cream etc and give it time. Wait until she can always write a 6 correctly without hesitation, and then work on 9 again.

tigerlily 04-04-2010 06:28 PM

I was just trying to think of a word mnemonic... maybe something like "six sits, nine toes the line." And tell a story of how six's round bottom sits down low, but nine just keeps one little toe on the line.:shrug3

tempus vernum 04-04-2010 07:55 PM

we say "6 sticks up and 9 comes down fine" In fact, my older children are teaching my youngest this way when we do matching or they are pointing out numbers to her :tu

It has REALLY made sense to them when I show them what I mean by it :grin and since it rhymes it has stuck in their heads :giggle