Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Have you made your own diapers? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=446004)

Elspeth 04-13-2012 04:55 AM

Have you made your own diapers?

I was gifted with a sewing machine for my birthday :woohoo

I've found a couple of AIO cloth diaper patterns but wanted to know if any of you had a favorite pattern or fabric to use. I've also found PUL fabric and flannel online (my fabric store doesn't carry PUL or the aplix velcro, and I might as well buy from one location and shipping is cheaper than the gas to drive to the store).

Any tips?

MomtoJGJ 04-13-2012 05:20 AM

Re: Have you made your own diapers?

My favorite thing to do is to take a pocket diaper and use that for a pattern. Then I make a pocket diaper out of flannel and use whatever (prefold, insert, etc) to stuff it... this helps drying time immensely over my fitteds that I made.

I never had much luck with making true pockets or true aios... they always leaked. But I'm also not super talented.

Chaos Coordinator 04-13-2012 05:26 AM

Watch ur thread when stitching the hook side of the Velcro. Mine always gets tangled :doh

Top stitching fixes a lot of aesthetic issues and minor glitches.

Pre-stretch your elastic before stitching it in place (or use upcycled elastic, I always cut the elastic off of old undies :giggle)

If it looks "not quite right" don't be discouraged. I always have to remind myself that even if the seams are uneven or the tabs aren't identical, it still does a dandy job at catching poop!

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

If you're using pul, your thread has to be 100% polyester or else it will wick moisture badly.

After you finish it, run it through the dryer on HOT to help it seal back up at the seams.

To speed up drying time I like to make the absorbent part (soaker) snap in instead of hidden. This way it can also double as mama cloth.

SweetCaroline 04-13-2012 05:29 AM

oh! there was a really awesome pattern for an AIO that you could flip in side out exposing the inner pad so it would dry faster...:think

i'll look

making fitteds out ofprefolds is a worthy use of time as well :) i really like my one fitted i made :shifty :giggle

doh! cross post