Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   kid craft ideas- help! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527040)

esperanza 04-26-2019 07:31 PM

kid craft ideas- help!

Although I'm not 100% behind this, I'm feeling pressure to have the children make Mother's Day gifts on Mother's Day at church. Please help me think of easy, somewhat frugal craft projects! I am NOT crafty!!
Ages are 4-5 (one adult, one teen helper), 6-8 (one adult), and 9-11 (one adult). They will have about 45-50 minutes. We have general art supplies, and I can buy additional supplies. About 10-20 kids/group.
I don't want these to be totally "mom themed," as some kids may give them to another adult. Also prefer to avoid anything requiring a lot of academic skills (i.e. writing).
What can I have them make?! I have access to plenty of craft stores and Amazon to order supplies.

Singingmom 04-26-2019 07:44 PM

Re: kid craft ideas- help!

Tissue paper flowers?

Aerynne 04-26-2019 07:46 PM

These are pretty and could be made in any color

https://www.thepinjunkie.com/2015/06...uebonnets.html

Giving the kids actual canvases and acrylic paint can make for some cool art (you can get the thinner canvases at Walmart for cheap).

Some kind of trail mix thing could be fun (you put bowls out and the kids scoop a different assortment into each thing)

Paint a flower pot (tiny) and plant a small flower in it

Flower pens (cheap ball point pen, fake flower, florist tape)

Maleldil's daughter 04-26-2019 09:14 PM

I like these:
https://www.iheartartsncrafts.com/mo...n-jar-votives/

If you have a way to quickly take and print each child's picture, they could make a flower out of construction paper, cupcake liner, etc. and put the picture in the middle. It could be glued on a card or onto a pen or hang up or whatever.

Or windchimes out of recycled materials.

Mother of Sons 04-26-2019 09:31 PM

Walmart has some gorgeous bead varieties. I’ve used them for various kid crafts. You could get a bunch and some elastic cord (or wire) and let the kids string them to make bracelets or necklaces. Best part is it’s easy enough for the young crown but pretty and cool enough for the olders and quite possibly won’t get tossed in two days

esperanza 04-27-2019 05:54 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm thinking we'll go with painting flower pots (though I want to make sure the church school isn't doing them too, since a lot of kids also go to the day care and school run by the church). Everyone can do it, including most of the nursery kids (a lot of 3 year olds), and we can all do it together in the cafeteria. Then kids who finish early could make a card. I could have paint pens and regular paints. We did some crafting last winter for their parents, including painting, and they really liked that. Also seems like a pretty easy set up and clean up, and something any level of kid can do.
Thank you all for saving the day for non-crafty me!! This is such a relief to have figured out. Now I have more ideas for this year's Christmas gifts too! :)

ETA- if anyone has any suggestions on the cheapest place to get materials, let me know. I haven't started checking prices yet, and I still have time. I'm thinking my best bet may be one of the craft stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc) with one of their coupons if they sell little pots.

Aerynne 04-27-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6178709)
Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm thinking we'll go with painting flower pots (though I want to make sure the church school isn't doing them too, since a lot of kids also go to the day care and school run by the church). Everyone can do it, including most of the nursery kids (a lot of 3 year olds), and we can all do it together in the cafeteria. Then kids who finish early could make a card. I could have paint pens and regular paints. We did some crafting last winter for their parents, including painting, and they really liked that. Also seems like a pretty easy set up and clean up, and something any level of kid can do.
Thank you all for saving the day for non-crafty me!! This is such a relief to have figured out. Now I have more ideas for this year's Christmas gifts too! :)

ETA- if anyone has any suggestions on the cheapest place to get materials, let me know. I haven't started checking prices yet, and I still have time. I'm thinking my best bet may be one of the craft stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc) with one of their coupons if they sell little pots.

When we did flower pots at a child's party I was able to get them 3 for $1 at Dollar Tree. This is probably a good time of year for that.

esperanza 04-27-2019 10:20 AM

Oooh, that is a great price! Never would have thought of DT! We have one close by. I will check it out. I was thinking a dollar per pot would be a good price!

Aerynne 04-27-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6178730)
Oooh, that is a great price! Never would have thought of DT! We have one close by. I will check it out. I was thinking a dollar per pot would be a good price!

They were pretty tiny but they did the job.