Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Anyone have a zipline? (update: first injury) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526386)

kiloyd 12-08-2018 01:06 PM

Anyone have a zipline? (update: first injury)

We're thinking about getting one for Christmas. But I thought they were around $100. nooooo, they are more like $300!

If you have one, what kind? How do your kids like it?

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Just found this!

https://www.hearthsong.com/p/732787?...SABEgLOivD_BwE

twoplustwo 12-08-2018 08:30 PM

Re: Anyone have a zipline?

We do!

Dh made ours. We have a treehouse and it comes out the back.
He bought all the hardware and the line from some distributor.
The first one is ours. It's attached to a cable that goes around the tree. Its a self stop one (ie you naturally slow down, though there is a wood block at the end in case you have a little speed. The other choice is something that makes you stop - like a half a tire you bounce off of. . . but I voted for what I felt was the safer route with the self stop, but no research on that, plus our zip line is long so felt we could do it and still be fun).
https://i.ibb.co/MZzd9r0/zipline-1-small.jpg

This second image in another one in our neighborhood. Though I dont think its still there, they moved. But they built a rock wall with the sole purpose of having something to zip line from. eta: I removed the 2nd pic bc you can see my kids clearly and it's a public forum. But you want to see the zip line they did I can blur them or post it for a day and then remove it so you can see it.

If you have any specific questions I can ask dh.

Laurlor 12-09-2018 09:16 AM

We have this one which is about $160 if you use the coupon right now. We've had it 9 years and have replaced the trolley a couple of times, but it's been great. It gets quite a bit of use because our homeschool group meets at our house.

kiloyd 12-09-2018 07:36 PM

Thanks! My husband estimated it is 100' between the trees we want to use.

We'll do it towards the treehouse because the tree house is downhill from the other side of the yard, not too steep. The one I posted has a stopper thing before you hit the tree at the end. We'd love to do it from the tree house but then it would get too low at the other end.

We were talking about putting the cable about 7'-8' off the ground and maybe a little ladder or step up for shorter kids. This would be a gift for my younger 3, ages 14,11, and almost 6. They've used one at a friend's house and have asked for one the past couple Christmases.

kiloyd 12-11-2018 08:10 PM

I measured between the trees we are thinking about, 86'. If we go back a little more we might be able to reach a tree that will make it 100'.

DH wants me to order the 150' in case we ever move it. I don't know how these work, like how the cable is measured. I'd hate to get the 100' one and it not have enough room to go around the tree on the 100' stretch. He just says we'll wrap the excess loosely around the tree. :shrug3

KarenBoo 12-15-2018 02:22 PM

We have one. My parents gifted it to Monkey about 4 years ago, and it was wonderful! Monkey started to resent it though, because whenever she had a playdate, they wouldn't play with her. They only wanted to zipline! :giggle

Anyway, nobody uses it anymore, but it's still up. I think that my friend's little boys will soon be old enough to use it when they come over to play.

twoplustwo 12-15-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBoo (Post 6164900)
W because whenever she had a playdate, they wouldn't play with her. They only wanted to zipline! :giggle

We have had that problem before. :yes :giggle It's not so exciting to go 50 times in a row when you have it and they want their friends to do other things.

greengirl19 12-18-2018 04:42 PM

We've put one up (and taken it down again) a few times, just from a tree to a swing in our front yard. It was hard to maintain a safe gliding zone with a toddler who doesn't know to look overhead and we became the gathering place of the neighborhood kids which was several more kids than our tree could hold. But the kids loved it. We need to try again in the backyard and now that N is older.

kiloyd 12-19-2018 07:21 AM

I'll post how our kids like it after Christmas.

I got the 150' from Hearthsong. DH gets to have the fun of putting it up Christmas day! Hope it's not raining.

WanderingJuniper 12-21-2018 04:33 AM

We have one and the kids love it. The only reason it doesn’t get as much use now is it needs to be installed higher since they are all much taller than when we first put it up.

As for getting bored, my kids used to make challenges with cones and flags or time each other. We had a 100ft.

kiloyd 12-26-2018 06:44 PM

Re: Anyone have a zipline? (update: first injury)

Ugh! My 14 year old fell off the zipline when she copied her big brother and used the handles instead of the seat. The stop, even with the rubber stopper, was too jerky and she fell and landed hard! :( Super scary! She hurt her back and wrist and got a mouthful of dirt. DS1 is 6'3" and can do the handles, well he has to, he's too tall for the seat, but he won't be using it, almost too big.

That was yesterday, her back is much better and her wrist is not swollen but can't bend it fully, we've done arnica and ice and Tylenol and wrapped in ace bandage. I probably should have gotten an xray today. I will tomorrow if it's not better.

So dh found a spring stop/break online at Lowe's and might get that or I said to just lower the starting end 6-12".

The younger two played on it today (and me a little), and we started 1/3 of the way and it was slower and better/safer.

twoplustwo 12-26-2018 07:37 PM

Ouch. Sorry your dd was hurt. I hope she heals soon and nothing is broken. :(

kiloyd 12-26-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplustwo (Post 6166116)
Ouch. Sorry your dd was hurt. I hope she heals soon and nothing is broken. :(

Thank you.

Once dh either gets it to go slower or gets it to have a gentle stop then it will be safer. DS2 loves it! But he's the lightest of the bunch.

KarenBoo 12-26-2018 09:05 PM

Oh dear! I hope she heals up quickly! Yes, now I do remember that my DH had to adjust ours to get just the right speed.

kiloyd 12-27-2018 07:00 AM

https://www.lowes.com/pd/slackers-Zi...Kit/1000647495

This is what he found.

But I think if he just lowers the start a little bit it will also slow the braking.