Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Silicone baking mats vs parchment paper (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526300)

Soliloquy 11-12-2018 05:24 PM

Silicone baking mats vs parchment paper

Opinions? I've always used parchment paper. I can toss it when I'm done, not have an extra thing to wash. They're on sale at Costco so I'm considering them.

knitlove 11-12-2018 05:30 PM

Re: Silicone baking mats vs parchment paper

I love my silicone baking mats!

They really aren't that hard to clean. I just wash them with my hand and a little soap under running g water once they are cool enough to touch. I love that I don't have to worry about running out of anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Aerynne 11-12-2018 06:25 PM

I got mine at Costco. Get them! I like that they have spacers for where to put cookies or rolls if you are making a dozen.

Laurlor 11-12-2018 06:37 PM

I don't have silicone baking mats so I can't compare, but parchment paper is seriously my best friend! I buy it at Costco and it lasts me forever. I almost never wash my baking sheets because it keeps them so clean and I just toss it in the trash. NOTHING sticks to it.

sweetpeasmommy 11-12-2018 07:06 PM

I have both but use the parchment 99% of the time. The mats are easy to wash, but why bother if you can use parchment? I think the main reason I pick the paper most is because you can make it just the right size for what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knitlove 11-12-2018 07:31 PM

I use parchment paper for my cake pans, but for my sheet pans I always use my silicone, they are the right size and I feel less like I am being waistfulsencethe parchment paper can't be recycled or composted.

Soliloquy 11-12-2018 07:51 PM

I just looked at the budget. I won't be buying anything extra this month but thanks for all the replies. Maybe the next time they're on sale I'll get them.

And yes, I can cut parchment paper to fit cake and loaf pans. I love that.

knitlove 11-12-2018 08:37 PM

I think part of the reason I've my silicone baking mats is that I use parchment paper cupcake liners on all my muffins ( we are gf, and things tend to stick terribly), it helps me feel like there is a blaence.

ViolaMum 11-12-2018 08:49 PM

Silicone does insulate a little bit so I've found that cookies bake a minute or so faster on parchment and a bit less evenly. Silicone can compensate for hot spots on the pan, but parchment can't. (I bake an enormous amount - it's a little insane.)

I have no idea what Costco is selling, but I prefer Silpat mats to other brands. Absolutely nothing sticks to them, but I've found the brightly colored mats (I've had 3 different brands) are of varying quality and baked goods do sometimes stick. I've had to spray them initially and occasionally after washing. Silpat is sized for commercial pans - they fit the restaurant half-sheet pans I use perfectly. There's even a 9 inch round cake pan liner available now.

When I baked for a caterer everything we baked was on Silpat mats. Nothing ever stuck. Ever. We pretty much stored the Silpats in the pans. Wipe off the crumbs or a quick rinse was all they needed.

2sunshines 11-13-2018 05:00 AM

I have looked at these silicone mats so many times.

My hesitation comes from wondering if there is any concerns with silicones in contact with my food at high temperatures. I keep thinking I need to research this but always forget. :shifty I know *they* say it's completely safe, but it is plastic... at high temps... Right next to the food....

Has anyone here looked in to this and have any insight for me?

Earthmummy07 11-13-2018 05:48 AM

I have the thin woven ones that look like parchment Nd love them, but every time I've tried the rr
thicker ones they hold the smell of the dish soap and everything tastes perfumey/soapy. Same with silicone cake cases etc

knitlove 11-13-2018 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6161864)

My hesitation comes from wondering if there is any concerns with silicones in contact with my food at high temperatures. I keep thinking I need to research this but always forget. :shifty I know *they* say it's completely safe, but it is plastic... at high temps... Right next to the food....

Parchment paper is also treated with silicone some times.

I haven't looked in to it, i grew up around people who have the patents for plastic bags and plastic wrap. Before it was a common thing to worry about in this houses mist plastic was not allowed to touch hot or heating food. Silicone was still considered ok in those houses.

HomeWithMyBabies 11-13-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6161864)

This is what's held me back. My grocery carries biodegradable parchment paper so I've been using that.

marbles 11-13-2018 09:16 AM

I have silicone cupcake "tins" and I do like that they're easy but they bake differently and slower and have a funny smell when cooking. I don't really use them. I did buy individual silicone cupcake liners and those were amazing! Kids lost them all :) I have wondered if the cupcake tins are just cheap (they were a gift) and if that makes a difference. I never wanted to buy a mat based on my experience with those.

Soliloquy 11-13-2018 06:46 PM

I have silicone molds that I use to make chocolates at Christmas (melted chocolate isn't very hot so I'm not concerned). I love them for that. I had one silicone cupcake pan. Used it once and immediately donated it. It wasn't as nonstick as advertised and I still had to wash the thing. I prefer my stainless cupcake pans with liners.

I also use biodegradable parchment paper. I compost it in summer but in winter I toss it in the woodstove. I think I'll just stick with that. I don't bake much. I'm looking forward to the day when the only baking I ever do is for the holidays.