Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Memes and Vines - help!! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526535)

KarenBoo 01-13-2019 07:33 PM

Memes and Vines - help!!

OK y'all. I'm clueless. I don't know what the heck this is, and why it's funny. I've googled it, and I think these people are all on drugs or something. WHAT IS THIS???

Why is this funny/popular? WHAT exactly is it? I mean, it's a 4 second video with a guy that says "Welcome to Chili's" or "Yeet" or "Mothlamp." WHAT THE WHAT??!!

I'm so confused. And I'm supposed to help my teen daughter understand this stuff because she doesn't get it either.

By trying to understand this stuff, I just feel scared for the future of the world!:shifty

Soliloquy 01-13-2019 09:21 PM

Re: Memes and Vines - help!!

Memes are images, vines are short videos. Vines started with an app, I think, that only allowed 6 second videos. They're just funny, I guess.

We all love funny memes. We're not in to vines. Too short to be very clever.

KarenBoo 01-13-2019 09:22 PM

Well this is my basic understanding as well. I've seen good memes all over FB, but my teen tells me these aren't real memes and that I don't know what a meme is, and that they are now something different. So I feel very confused!

Soliloquy 01-13-2019 09:25 PM

Those are memes. :yes Our adult memes are just much more clear than the popular teen dank memes. :lol

Singingmom 01-13-2019 09:26 PM

My 15 yo just spent ten minutes explaining, showing me things, and laughing, and I'm not any closer to being able to help you understand. :scratch My overall impression is that these things are so stupid they're funny.

ETA after reading Lisa's reply, I think it was vines she was showing me.

KarenBoo 01-13-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6168024)
My 15 yo just spent ten minutes explaining, showing me things, and laughing, and I'm not any closer to being able to help you understand. :scratch My overall impression is that these things are so stupid they're funny.

ETA after reading Lisa's reply, I think it was vines she was showing me.

I'm so glad I'm not alone!:giggle

domesticzookeeper 01-14-2019 06:23 AM

I never got into Vines, personally, but my younger siblings LOVED them and, honestly...there is a kind of brilliance to setting a scene, establishing a set-up, and executing a joke in 6 seconds flat :shifty :shrug3

Internet humor - especially memes - are significantly self-referential, so often the jokes aren't as funny unless you know that *this* is a reference to *that* which was a spin-off of *that* which was an homage to *this* and on and on. For those following the rapid ebb and flow, you get the thrill of a joke that builds on some inside knowledge (and for everyone else there's KnowYourMeme(dot)com).

twoplustwo 01-14-2019 07:11 AM

I know the difference and love memes but not vines.

Except it sounds like KarenBoos teen would tell me those aren't real memes and I don't know what a meme is and she would probably be right. :giggle

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBoo (Post 6168020)
Well this is my basic understanding as well. I've seen good memes all over FB, but my teen tells me these aren't real memes and that I don't know what a meme is, and that they are now something different. So I feel very confused!

I have seen memes on here at GCM. For example in the flat earth thread there is a meme with a cat pushing things off of flat earth.

RealLifeMama 01-14-2019 08:28 AM

My question is how do you pronounce "Meme"?

KarenBoo 01-14-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 6168074)
My question is how do you pronounce "Meme"?

I say it as one syllable. "meem"

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by domesticzookeeper (Post 6168053)
I never got into Vines, personally, but my younger siblings LOVED them and, honestly...there is a kind of brilliance to setting a scene, establishing a set-up, and executing a joke in 6 seconds flat :shifty :shrug3

Internet humor - especially memes - are significantly self-referential, so often the jokes aren't as funny unless you know that *this* is a reference to *that* which was a spin-off of *that* which was an homage to *this* and on and on. For those following the rapid ebb and flow, you get the thrill of a joke that builds on some inside knowledge (and for everyone else there's KnowYourMeme(dot)com).

Thank you! This is probably why she doesn't get them. She has zero time for TV and web surfing. She's probably feeling frustrated at not knowing what is going on. (And I have no time for TV & such either, so that's why I don't get them!)

tempus vernum 01-14-2019 01:33 PM

So this is a recurring discussion here :giggle :crazy

I define meme as "a picture with a saying" so I make bible verse memes :shrug3

My kids say that is not a meme. That a meme is a "picture with a joke on it" or that tells a joke not just a picture with a saying.

vine: is as defined above. A short 6 second video but my 18 year old just told me the "real vine app" doesn't exist anymore. ;)

Soliloquy 01-15-2019 11:17 PM

The vine app is gone but there's a new one called Tick Tock that is supposedly very popular with the under 20 crowd. I guess it's all short videos and anyone can see your videos. I have no idea if it's 6 seconds like Vine was or if you can go longer. Like any social media app, it can be just for fun or really scary, depending on how savvy you are.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6168117)

My kids say that is not a meme. That a meme is a "picture with a joke on it" or that tells a joke not just a picture with a saying.

I agree with your kids :lol but I'd add satire or witty social commentary in addition to jokes.

Pictures with a saying, I call those images because that's what they're called in the Bible app. Shows how trendy I am. :lol

WanderingJuniper 01-16-2019 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonshineMama (Post 6168117)

vine: is as defined above. A short 6 second video but my 18 year old just told me the "real vine app" doesn't exist anymore. ;)

I’d add relevance to pop cultur or current events into the defenition too so for me no a bible verse with a pic would not be a meme.

Somethings about walking on water and a picture of a Latino dude named Jesus stepping out of a boat could be constructed as a meme. ( Not at all saying it is appropriate just the quickest example I could come up with 3 sips into morning coffee)

KarenBoo 01-16-2019 04:31 AM

Can anyone tell me why the following are funny/viral?

Yeet

Mothlamp

Welcome to Chili's

weerach 01-16-2019 05:51 AM

I've got to admit I just roll my eyes at stuff like memes and vines. It all just seems like a huge waste of time to me :shrug

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk