Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   organizing a small kid's closet (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525719)

esperanza 07-11-2018 08:24 PM

organizing a small kid's closet

I'd love to hear your tips/ideas/what worked for you. We really need to do something more with ds' closet. It's small. I don't have an exact measurement, but it's what you'd expect in a kid's bedroom in your traditional 60s ranch style house. It has sliding doors, though I would consider the idea of taking them off and putting up a curtain.

Right now it just has one hanging bar with one shelf above it. We also have a shelf with the removable tubs. It's not really working well anymore. I want something flat (these are tipped) and also with lids.

Ds has next to nothing hanging in his closet. Everything is in his dresser drawers. I want some hanging space, but not a lot. He also needs to have his laundry basket in the closet. But I really, really need to get something organized for boxes of art supplies, musical instruments, shelves for games or puzzles, etc. We have installed a wire closet kit from Home Depot in our closet. I'm thinking we'll do something like that.

I want this to last. What do we need to think about for down the road when he's older? Not looking to spend a lot of money on this project though either. I do have a lot of plastic boxes with lids from my classroom teaching days in the basement that I can use.

charla 07-13-2018 09:33 AM

Re: organizing a small kid's closet

Closets are so hard to figure out sometimes. My kids have gone through several reinventions of their closet organization as they've aged. Ds has two Ikea bookcases side by side in his closet that fit right under the hanging rod. He folds his clothes on them and they also fit bins to store things like undies, jammies, socks, and he also has quite a bit of legos in bins on those shelves as well. He stores stuff he wants to keep but doesn't use very often up on the high closet shelf. The bookcases leave just enough room on one side for his hanging clothes. Dd has one of those plastic drawer bins in her closet for jammies, underwear, and dance clothes, but she likes to hang her clothes rather than fold so she uses the full length of her closet rod to hang most everything. She has two rods in her closet one high and one low with built in shelves above each rod. The high shelf stores stuff she doesn't need to get into very often. The low shelf she puts her folded jeans and shorts. As they've gotten older their closets have become more manageable. I think the younger the child, the more stuff they have to store with all of the toys and things. I think the plastic bins are super idea for the toys putting like toys together and labeling.

2sunshines 07-14-2018 04:00 AM

Re: organizing a small kid's closet

We use those canvas totes you can get pretty much anywhere as clothing storage on shelves in closets. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ClosetMai...-Grey/49920570