Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   surely this doesn't require a plumber.. HELP (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524838)

milkmommy 02-20-2018 02:40 AM

surely this doesn't require a plumber.. HELP

so the handle on our tub/shower broke... No biggie get another right? Well we've tried but we can not figure out what we are doing wrong but it keeps spinning like the new handles are also broke..

We did notice the front of what I'm assuming is the diverter valve is plastic with two little notches where I'm assuming the knob needs to catch to turn. One of those is looks like broke off.. (pictures to come) so is this still something we can replace easily or do we really need to call a plumber?

pictures
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4701/...8d433943_z.jpg20180216_081756 by pollardk2612, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4667/...fa15e8aa_z.jpg20180216_081809 by pollardk2612, on Flickr

ViolaMum 02-20-2018 10:43 AM

Re: surely this doesn't require a plumber.. HELP

It looks to me like you've got broken plastic on the valve. :think

My dh has replaced the kitchen and bathroom sink fixtures several times and the big lesson learned is that the kits for doing it yourself usually don't include all the parts you need. (They leave out stupid things, like a specific washer, or o-ring.) Youtube has been a LIFESAVER. Double check to make sure there's nothing specific to that brand that you need for installation. (We've had to order things from the manufacturer.) Plumbing supply places have more in stock than Home Depot, if you have one near you.

(The first time we ended up calling a plumber because it was just too frustrating, but he found a friendly one who explained the missing parts and dh learned what to look for.)

milkmommy 02-20-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6130425)
It looks to me like you've got broken plastic on the valve. :think

My dh has replaced the kitchen and bathroom sink fixtures several times and the big lesson learned is that the kits for doing it yourself usually don't include all the parts you need. (They leave out stupid things, like a specific washer, or o-ring.) Youtube has been a LIFESAVER. Double check to make sure there's nothing specific to that brand that you need for installation. (We've had to order things from the manufacturer.) Plumbing supply places have more in stock than Home Depot, if you have one near you.

(The first time we ended up calling a plumber because it was just too frustrating, but he found a friendly one who explained the missing parts and dh learned what to look for.)

think if I bring the photo to a plumbing supply place (or like lowes if needed) they might be able to tell me what I need?
We were hoping we could use part of our return for this repair but now it looks like student loans might end up getting the full amount... We NEED to get our second shower back though.

Singingmom 02-20-2018 11:53 AM

I think showing the photo to a plumbing supply guy is a great idea.

ViolaMum 02-20-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 6130427)
think if I bring the photo to a plumbing supply place (or like lowes if needed) they might be able to tell me what I need?
We were hoping we could use part of our return for this repair but now it looks like student loans might end up getting the full amount... We NEED to get our second shower back though.

It wouldn't hurt to try! Sounds like a good plan to me.

Also, search the brand of your shower handle + repair on youtube. I'll bet you get some hits. It's amazing what people will make videos of themselves doing.

knitlove 02-24-2018 05:39 PM

If you have a smaller hardware store than lowes or home depo you might have better luck finding people who know the products.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

milkmommy 02-24-2018 09:44 PM

We're soo frustrated we removed the cartridge and took it by Lowe's home depot and three separate plumbing supply places and we have searched all over the internet for a match... nothing we have stumped everyone.. so what should have been a $20 ish repair... is going to be much higher as we will likely have to replace the whole rough in.. a home we bought brand new 7 years ago.. We've noticed they did a lot of poor workmanship once we dig behinds the surfaces.

Love_Is_Patient 02-24-2018 09:49 PM

I'm so sorry! The poor workmanship has been my parent's experience with a new home as well :(

knitlove 02-25-2018 06:50 AM

Oh that is so incredibly frustrating. I am so sorry.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk