Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Flea Medication Suggestions (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522633)

FoxLady 04-19-2017 08:45 PM

Flea Medication Suggestions

Guys, I need your help.
My two Dalmatians are infected with fleas. I have tried using flea pills and repellents but they keep coming back. Can you give me some good recommendations? Thanks in advance...

Virginia 04-19-2017 08:57 PM

Re: Flea Medication Suggestions

Are they indoor at all?

I'm sorry. Fleas suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECingMama 04-19-2017 09:46 PM

DE all over your house. I use an old protein powder can with holes poked through it to sprinkle it on all our carpet. Wait a few days. Vacuum.

https://www.amazon.com/Diatomaceous-...words=DE+earth

Rose geranium oil on dogs

http://www.primallyinspired.com/easy...ssential-oils/

I assume you've already tried flea shampoo and frontline?

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

http://maxandruffys.com/repelling-fl...cks-naturally/

Maedchen 04-19-2017 10:22 PM

If you are going to put DE out in the house, make sure you use Food Grade quality and wear a mask when putting it out. Don't let your little ones near it while you are dusting it out close to the carpet. (it can dry out your lungs.)

This is the best defense that we have used here. We also spray and respray the animals with Flee Flea.

It also helps to go to the $ store and get lots of lint rollers and before going back inside to rub the adhesive roller all over the dogs to get any fleas as they are just getting on the dog. We use them when we get in the car with my DD's service dog.

JessicaTX 04-19-2017 10:37 PM

I have to switch between advantage, frontline and um..that pill one. It seems the fleas become immune if I keep using the same one, so my animals get one dose of the pill once a year and alternate the other two the rest of the months. My aunt sells doterra and used to tell me to make her special mix flea repellant stuff but she finally moved to my area and sees how useless it is lol. It worked in california apparently =D

ECingMama 04-19-2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedchen (Post 6079673)
If you are going to put DE out in the house, make sure you use Food Grade quality and wear a mask when putting it out. Don't let your little ones near it while you are dusting it out close to the carpet. (it can dry out your lungs.)

This is the best defense that we have used here. We also spray and respray the animals with Flee Flea.

It also helps to go to the $ store and get lots of lint rollers and before going back inside to rub the adhesive roller all over the dogs to get any fleas as they are just getting on the dog. We use them when we get in the car with my DD's service dog.

I sprinkle it before bed. It doesn't bother our lungs at all. I sprinkled it tonight, in fact! Just before reading this thread. Figure the season is upon us!

https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/bl...us-earth-safe/

Many people worry about accidentally inhaling DE. If you accidentally inhale DE, it can irritate your lungs, but it won't damage them unless you inhale large amounts over many years. If you have a respiratory condition, we recommend wearing a dust mask to protect your lungs from irritation while applying DE around your home or yard. If you don't have a respiratory condition, protective equipment is not required as long as it doesn't bother your lungs. For bigger projects, or for projects where you know the DE will be kicked up into the air, it is always a good idea to wear protection for your eyes and lungs.

MrsHutch 04-20-2017 05:40 AM

DE is a good way to kill them. To prevent fleas going forward, we use Seresto collars. They are supposed to be safe for kids to be around, but still work really well to keep the fleas and ticks away. They say they last 8 months, so we just buy one every spring since fleas aren't an issue here in the winter. We used to always struggle with fleas, but haven't seen any since switching to Seresto collars a couple of years ago.

mamacat 04-20-2017 05:42 AM

We stopped spending money on flea meds and switched to using a vinegar water spray or wipe down and a flea comb. To get the one already in the house using a plate and water and light like this http://www.thebugsquad.com/fleas/flea-traps/

ECingMama 04-20-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsHutch (Post 6079693)
DE is a good way to kill them. To prevent fleas going forward, we use Seresto collars. They are supposed to be safe for kids to be around, but still work really well to keep the fleas and ticks away. They say they last 8 months, so we just buy one every spring since fleas aren't an issue here in the winter. We used to always struggle with fleas, but haven't seen any since switching to Seresto collars a couple of years ago.

where do you buy these?

MrsHutch 04-20-2017 10:51 AM

Our vet sells them, but we buy them at our local pet supply store and they're usually quite a bit cheaper than the vet. I think one year they even had a BOGO sale when I bought them.

FoxLady 04-20-2017 09:54 PM

Thanks everyone for these tips.
Is it okay to use DE inside the house? I have mild asthma.
Just yesterday, I saw a line of fleas going down from our ceiling. It really gave me goosebumps seeing that.
Sometimes, I see a flea on our tiles too. I am very worried that our house might be invaded by these frustrating fleas.
By the way, my dogs stay both indoor and outdoor. I have tried putting tick repellent collars on them and they ended up pulling it off.

JessicaTX 04-20-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxLady (Post 6079858)
Just yesterday, I saw a line of fleas going down from our ceiling. It really gave me goosebumps seeing that.

That's not really flea behavior. They jump everywhere, they don't go in lines.

ECingMama 04-22-2017 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxLady (Post 6079858)
Thanks everyone for these tips.
Is it okay to use DE inside the house? I have mild asthma.
Sometimes, I see a flea on our tiles too. I am very worried that our house might be invaded by these frustrating fleas.
By the way, my dogs stay both indoor and outdoor. I have tried putting tick repellent collars on them and they ended up pulling it off.

I don't cover my mouth when sprinkling the DE, and I let it sit before I vacuum it. Somebody told me several days was necessary. Haven't researched. But nobody in my house has asthma. I would think flea bombing would be far worse for your asthma than DE though.

Here is a flea trap idea complete with using battery powered tea lights.

http://www.thebugsquad.com/fleas/flea-traps/

We don't even have fleas. I'm just terrified of getting them. All forces out!

FoxLady 04-23-2017 05:43 PM

Thanks for this, ECingMama.
I have tried the tea light candle trap. I hope it'll work. I set it up yesterday and I can see that there's already 2 or 3 fleas drowned in the water.
I'm wondering if the detergent is better than ordinary soap.

Jeanette598 04-23-2017 06:25 PM

Our cat had very persistent fleas a few years ago. Our vet suggested Capstar followed by Vectra.

Capstar is a tablet that kills all fleas on the animal within about half an hour. (We gave it to our cat and then shut her in a tiled bathroom for that period ... made the cleanup easy. I was disgusted by how many dead fleas we found on the floor. This stuff really works.) Vectra is a topical that will kill eggs and repel live fleas.

We also used DE on the furniture but I'm not sure how much it helped. We flea combed quite a bit too. But the Capstar/Vectra combo was finally the thing that got rid of them for good.