Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Bee Sting Swelling (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523224)

RealLifeMama 07-03-2017 12:28 PM

Bee Sting Swelling

My son's hand got stung by a yellow jacket last night.
His hand looks like Baymax!
He is not itching, his throat is fine, he has no hives, no fever, etc.
Just a huge hand. It is starting to spread down to his wrist, too.

We have done ice water, lavender and copaiba, benedryl, baking soda, and Epsom salts.
He has elevated it.
None of that has done anything!

What else can we try?
I'd post a picture if I could. It is unreal.

Aerynne 07-03-2017 12:33 PM

Re: Bee Sting Swelling

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealLifeMama (Post 6093117)
My son's hand got stung by a yellow jacket last night.
His hand looks like Baymax!
He is not itching, his throat is fine, he has no hives, no fever, etc.
Just a huge hand. It is starting to spread down to his wrist, too.

We have done lavender and copaiba, benedryl, baking soda, and Epsom salts.
He has elevated it.
None of that has done anything!

What else can we try?
I'd post a picture if I could. It is unreal.

I would take him to urgent care. Sorry- probably not what you wanted to hear, but I would. That reaction is not normal and is probably allergic in nature and bee sting allergies can get serious (even if it isn't now). His throat and stuff may be fine now, but may not be in the future. And I don't know if they would give him an epi pen or not. And if he ever is stung again I would give him Benadryl immediately. Carry it in your purse or car at all times in case he is stung again.

mamacat 07-03-2017 12:36 PM

Bentonite clay in a soak and then a paste where the sting site is

Soliloquy 07-03-2017 12:42 PM

If you have liquid Benadryl I'd give that immediately. And I'd call his HCP or go to urgent care. That's an allergic reaction. It could be worse next time and you need to be prepared in case it affects his breathing.

Mother of Sons 07-03-2017 01:05 PM

That is the reaction I get to stings too. It's terrible and nothing has ever stopped it and it lasts for weeks. I agree with taking him to the dr since he is a kid although I never do myself. The itching is INTENSE and it usually starts a few days later for me. Heat makes it works, cold helps. Having something else scratch was the only relief I got but sometimes bentonite clay helps a little.

sweetpeasmommy 07-03-2017 01:06 PM

I used to have this happen as a kid and it never progressed to a worse allergy. Actually it went away after not being stung for a decade or so. They declined to call it a real allergy and said it was just a local reaction. It certainly could progress and quickly next time so I would want to see the Dr.

I had a dog like this and the vet have me give him some insane amount of Benadryl, I think 8 of them for a 60 lb dog. It still didn't bring the swelling down and it was on his face so we had to bring him for steroids to reduce the swelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mamacat 07-03-2017 01:23 PM

If he isnt having any other trouble would def try the clay soaks as it draws it out. They would probably ant to start him on steroids which usually take about 3 days to really kick in. Go by your gut tho. you can always take him in and get the Rx to start using if it doesnt start to go down with other measures

camperjen 07-04-2017 11:30 AM

I was stung two years ago for the first time in almost 40 years (lol - I'm old). I was stung on the knuckle of my middle finger around mid-afternoon. By dinnertime I couldn't see the wrinkles of my knuckle and by morning I couldn't bend either of the top two joints. The swelling didn't get much bigger - and it wasn't terribly hot and red (just pink - not purple-ish) - the swelling went down over about the next four or five days. Yes, it IS an allergic reaction, but it doesn't mean serious. Serious is when it starts to affect other organ systems - throat, breathing, hives, etc. Serious would also be if it continued to swell or was abnormally HUGE, or if the pink turned darker red or even darker, or any level of fever - all of those could be signs of true infection like cellulitis or strep or MRSA.

Use your mommy-discernment carefully and you should know what to do.

KarenBoo 07-05-2017 09:27 AM

Go to the health food store and buy homeopathic Apis 30c and Ledum 30c. Give one remedy, wait 15 min, give the other, wait 15 min and give the first. Continue this until each remedy has been given 3 times. Then, give each remedy 4x daily, separated by 15 min.

You can also try some homeopathic Histaminum 30c if the above doesn't work.

RealLifeMama 07-05-2017 10:17 AM

He is getting much better. His fingers look normal. There is still a little hand swelling. This is the day the Dr. Had said to bring him back if it was not better. It is going away on its own and he is not uncomfortable, but I will get the homeopathic stuff for next time.

Maedchen 07-05-2017 10:50 AM

I am glad your son is doing better. :)

Back in the dark ages when I was small, my parents cleaned the country church we attended and they had huge black wasp that were really mean. I got stung and I remember my dad taking and breaking open some cigarettes and wetting it to make a poultice for the stings. It really worked to draw the poison out.

mamacat 07-05-2017 11:40 AM

I have heard that too about tobacco. Clay works the same way so you may want to have on hand for stings in future because faster you get it on sting site less swelling and reaction there is