Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Breakfast *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=543)
-   -   Breakfast Ideas (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=413561)

MotherSong 06-20-2011 06:27 AM

Breakfast Ideas

We're needing breakfast ideas here.

I would rather avoid cereal (expensive and not healthy) in favor of other foods. Non-traditional breakfast foods are fine.

What did YOU eat for breakfast today? Yesterday? The day before? I just need help in brainstorming ideas so that we don't get so stuck in a rut.

All suggestions are very welcome! Thanks!

MomtoJGJ 06-20-2011 06:47 AM

Re: Breakfast Ideas

Monday's we do muffins... whatever kind I can scrounge together, sweet or savory
Tuesdays we do muffin tin meals... Wednesdays are 'whatever Wednesday' and basically I just figure out something to give them... Thursday's are smoothie "Thirsty Thursday"... Fridays are some version of French toast. Saturday's we do a big breakfast with meat, eggs and either biscuits or pancakes... and Sunday is Cinnamon Rolls.

Kailie 06-20-2011 07:28 AM

Thanks for starting this I had been meaning to start one like it for a while!

I usually have Vector cereal mainly for the convenience factor. Greek yogurt and pb toast were favorites when I was working.

I sometimes do left overs or make a small quiches early in the week and heat them up.

I would love to find a yummy easy to make a small batch of oatmeal because it is usually only me eating breakfast here in the morning as DH makes his own.

RachelB 06-20-2011 07:50 AM

I really, really dislike cooking first thing in the morning, so most of what we do for breakfast is easy. Some of my go-to breakfasts:
- Waffles, pancakes, or french toast made in big batches and frozen. Can be popped in the toaster, same as you would do with store-bought waffles.
- Oatmeal. Put in the crock pot before bed, and wake up to yummy breakfast.
- Breakfast burritos. Buy approx a million eggs when they're on sale, scramble (along with whatever you like), wrap in tortillas, and freeze. Take them out as you need them and heat in the microwave.
- Yogurt with fruit and granola.

Niphredil 06-20-2011 11:16 AM

We mix & match these items -

*Oatmeal or Malt O Meal
*Eggs - scrambled with cream cheese, with salsa or with meat(ham, sausage). Fried served on a bread, roll or bagel. Omelets.
*Pancakes - plain, with fruit mixed in or fruit topping, or, gluttonously, coffee cake topping. Rarely french toast or waffles.
*Hashbrowns or fried potatoes
*Sausage or ham, on occasion.
*Toast & jam, bagels & PB or bagels & cream cheese.
*Smoothies or fruit salad.
*Yogurt - plain, with fruit, granola or cereal.
*Breakfast burritos

greengirl19 06-20-2011 11:30 AM

Today's breakfast was a little non traditional. Leftover ratatouille with fried eggs on top. Most days I don't have the time to cook eggs and we make a smoothie (yogurt, banana, peanut butter, and frozen berries).

I liked having leftover veggies with eggs a lot.

klpmommy 06-20-2011 11:34 AM

french toast this morning

yogurt often
eggs in some form, often w/ bacon or ham
smoothies sometimes

mostly :popcorn for ideas

RiverRock 06-20-2011 11:47 AM

This morning dh poured hot water over quick oats for "raw porridge", I had left over omelet from yesterday's lunch, ds had a bowl of cereal, and the other 3 dk had bagels--2 with butter, one with cream cheese and jam. That's typical for a weekday around here. Sometimes I defrost frozen fruit and mix Greek yogurt with that, or I will make porridge (either in a pan or crockpot). Yesterday I dipped a banana into pb for breakfast. :yum

ncsweetpea 06-20-2011 11:56 AM

This morning it was leftover pizza from fathers day dinner. But it made me think a breakfast pizza might be fun.

Dd nearly always eats yogurt or cottage cheese. This morning it was topped with a spoonful if homemade blueberry jam.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

I was also kicking around the idea of doing a ham and cheese baked muffin. Maybe grating on some zucchini or something.

Iarwain 06-20-2011 01:09 PM

Homemade kefir is the usual breakfast food here, either blended with strawberries and stevia or else with orange juice concentrate and vanilla. I usually add spinach or greens powder to it. Oatmeal and scrambled eggs fill in when that's not enough because they're cheap, easy, and filling. The kids like to add peanut butter to their oatmeal for extra protein. I guess we're pretty boring here but at least it's a rut we enjoy being in. :)

Thia 06-20-2011 06:04 PM

What are these baked muffins that you guys speak of? I'm looking for some new ideas. My husband needs stuff he can reheat in the morning. He says he's sick of eggs. He doesn't eat cold cereal or oatmeal. We have pancakes on the weekend. He has waffles about once every two weeks. I do a breakfast casserole once in a while, but he's sick of that too.

everydaygrace 06-20-2011 08:01 PM

:popcorn

delightedmama 07-07-2011 04:27 AM

We've found that we have more energy when we don't do grains at breakfast, but DH hates eggs and we're sick of green smoothies. Any more suggestions for non-egg or baked/flour-based breakfasts?

klpmommy 07-07-2011 05:55 PM

fruit and cheese? I am partial to watermelon with feta, dh likes can fruit with cottage cheese. The kids like colby-jack with something like an apple or grapes next to it rather than mixed like dh's and mine.

passthemanna 07-07-2011 06:21 PM

we usually do ww toast with coconut oil & pb with fruit. seems like ds & i both just automatically prefer the same thing day after day & get all off kilter if we run out of pb or bread :shrug3 oh no- just realized we only have 2 slices of bread & dh will need a sandwhich tomorrow :nails