Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Heart of Dakota vs My Father's World (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=365982)

laurabelle1317 07-02-2010 06:21 PM

Heart of Dakota vs My Father's World

Has anyone used both Heart of Dakota and My Father's World? What were the differences you saw and what did you like and not like between the two?

We are doing HOD's Little Hands to Heaven (pre-K) program right now. I am super interested in both HOD and MFW. I especially like some of MFW 1st grade with the drawing and writing your own Bible book.

I'm not sure yet what we will do over time. A combo of both? At least in the beginning? Just not sure! But I like them both! lol

The Tickle Momster 07-03-2010 08:11 AM

Re: Heart of Dakota vs My Father's World

We use MFW. I've looked at HOD several times. It looks just as good. I think for me, it came down to layout of the teacher's materials, and focus of later years. Also, MFW donates a portion of the profits to bible translation, something I'm all for. There is a HOD vs. MFW thread either here or on the MFW message boards.

laurabelle1317 07-03-2010 03:24 PM

I would love to see that...if you ever find it, please link me to it! You can PM me if it is on the MFW board.

Thanks!

kwisie 07-03-2010 03:38 PM

:popcorn

The Tickle Momster 07-03-2010 05:58 PM

Here are links to some discussions on here:

Link 1

Link 2

I hope those work. :nails

kwisie 07-03-2010 06:01 PM

DId you know that both links link to the same thread?

Chinamommy 07-03-2010 07:04 PM

Since this links to the thread I started a while back, I will tell you what I ended up choosing for this fall!:giggle

I decided after much deliberation, polling, praying, sweating and researching to do HOD.:)

In the end I really liked both and could not decide between the two. I ordered info on both curriculums and showed them to my husband and he chose HOD. I was leaning toward that one but did not tell him that. I gave him an overview and he looked at HOD and he said he liked that one the best. We are finishing up HOD Little Hands to heaven now.

I think they are both really good. I would pray that God would mke it clear to you which one he wants you to choose. Every child is different and I don't think every curriculum fits every child.

I liked different things about each one. I like HOD because it is truely an open and go curriculum. It is simple and covers everything. MFW has more legwork as far as finding books and such and more preplanning is needed. MFW is a wonderful curriculum.

I really think it comes down to what is the best fit for your family. Cathy Duffy has reviews on her website for both. I think her website is cathyduffyreviews.com

kwisie 07-03-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinamommy (Post 3183340)
I liked different things about each one. I like HOD because it is truely an open and go curriculum. It is simple and covers everything. MFW has more legwork as far as finding books and such and more preplanning is needed. MFW is a wonderful curriculum.

That is really helpful information.

The Tickle Momster 07-03-2010 08:52 PM

Ooops. Try this: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...eart+of+Dakota

I find MFW very open & go. I do have to get online weekly & request books. But with our AWESOME library system, it's not a big deal. K & 1st do have a little more legwork than later years.

laurabelle1317 07-03-2010 09:24 PM

Still links back to the same threads as above. :-)

kissesmomof4 07-06-2010 09:52 AM

I know that you decided on what you would do but I wanted to add my two cents just in case someone else came across this thread and was wondering.

I tried MFW for my dd when we first started schooling. It is a nice curriculum but I found like someone else said that there was a lot of leg work. The lay out was not as simple as HOD. Many of the books that were suggested in MFW were out of print and not available at the library. Many of those books would have been pretty costly to buy and printing them from public domain would cost a lot too.

The other drawback was that my daughter often got confused by the way they taught reading. I ended up putting it aside and unschooling for a couple years. We used part of Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons to get her reading.

Last year I got HOD for all my kids. The lay out is soooooooooooooooo much easier. I love that the lessons are all on one page, there is no flipping to find instructions for something. The books are mostly still in print and you can order them from HOD and I have had good luck getting them at the library. I also had the option to choose the math and reading program that worked best for us. For my son who is learning to read we are using a combo of teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons and another "lighter" book I got from HOD.

So those are my experiences with the two. You can see I am more of a fan of HOD. I am sure some people will enjoy MFW, it is not a bad curriculum by any means it just did not work for our family. I still have a lot of the worksheets from it and we use them as supplements and I was using them with a daycare child I had. :D