Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   At what age did your children start playing in backyard unsupervised? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525318)

ECingMama 05-09-2018 08:51 PM

At what age did your children start playing in backyard unsupervised?

Mom just looking out window from time to time?

When did they stop playing in backyard due to being "too old"?

Katigre 05-09-2018 09:06 PM

Re: At what age did your children start playing in backyard unsupervised?

When the oldest one outside is elementary aged and the youngest is mature enough not to run in the street I let them.

forty-two 05-09-2018 09:18 PM

I let my oldest play alone in the fenced backyard, with the door to the house open, at 2.5yo, although I was nervous about it. I let her play alone in our unfenced backyard at age 5 or 6. I let the younger ones play with her in the unfenced backyard when I trusted them to stay in the yard (probably age 3 or 4). For some reason, neither my middle nor my youngest will play alone outside, or without someone older (in the case of the middle), even though I have no problems letting them :hunh:sigh.

Soliloquy 05-09-2018 10:40 PM

With our first set of littles it was later than typical because we lived on a really busy street and our yard wasn't fenced until they were a bit older. Not sure at what age.

Currently, I let my 2 year old be outside if the other kids are out there or if I'm out there. If I'm out there, I'm rarely watching her, I'm usually working on something and listening to her babble. Plus the GSD follows her pretty closely.

Our yard isn't fenced but we don't have neighbors in the typical sense, either.

2sunshines 05-10-2018 03:05 AM

So many variables. Fenced in yard vs. non. Busy streets. Older siblings. Etc?

Probably elementary aged for my oldest but we lived in town with no fence.

For my youngest probably as soon as he could be outside. :shrug3 But we live in the country. Huge yard. Quiet dead end street. And lots of older siblings to watch over him.

As for the "too old" side. It gets less and less as they get older for sure but even my 17 year old plays outside with his siblings in the yard. My 11 year old is out there daily and actively -- my olders (15 and 17) play outside for a purpose, not as much just spending hours on end running around like the littles do.

HadassahSukkot 05-10-2018 03:29 AM

We live in a small village, so the only "backyard" we have is really the playground that is one house over.

Since my oldest is autistic and youngest has had other therapy needs (speech, occupational) it has taken until last year to start to allow them time alone for an hour or so unsupervised with the rule that neither is to come home without the other (except in an emergency) and that both have a watch and are to come home at x time or we will come get them.

Aside from the ankle break last year (November), they had been reliably able to do that at 9 and 7. They are now 8 and almost 10. :heart

Atsirk 05-10-2018 05:13 AM

We don't really have a backyard and we share a driveway with our neighbors. So until about 6 months ago I wasn't really comfortable letting him play outside unsupervised. But as long as he leaves the door open where I can hear him I'm ok with it now. He'll be 8 in August.

bananacake 05-10-2018 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 6141034)
When the oldest one outside is elementary aged and the youngest is mature enough not to run in the street I let them.

Pretty much. I still go out because my kids fight and I like the fresh air. But I think I've basically been letting them play outside alone since we moved here (they were 5 & 7). But NONE of my kids have ever run into the street, AND we live in a quiet neighborhood, AND we are a corner lot (so people are either slowing to drive around the corner, or stopping at the corner stop sign).

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

And our backyard was fenced in until all the recent storms made most of it fall! They were only allowed to stay in the fenced part.

MrsHutch 05-10-2018 06:18 AM

In a securely fenced-in yard with nothing perilous, by 1.5 years old mine will happily toddle around and push dump trucks and such. That was true for both big J and A (the only two I've had as babies/toddlers). A was even able to get on and off the trampoline by himself around that age, even though a sibling or I was always there to spot him just in case.

CelticJourney 05-10-2018 06:46 AM

So many variables.

No way mine would be outside at all without someone before the age to 2.5 and could be trusted to stay in specific areas because of fire ants...enough of their toxins and you can die. You have to be very cautious and little people aren't.

On the other hand, even without a fence, mine could have gone out because we had a crazy protective dog and live on a quiet cul-de-sac (one two houses back here). You didn't even think about turning down our road without the lab going off. Snakes took detours.

marbles 05-10-2018 07:28 AM

We live downtown, close neighbors most of whom we trust, our back yard is fenced on three sides. Older two at 5 could play in the back without me. Now at almost 8 and 6 they can roam front and back and a little in the neighbor's yard. Youngest is 3 and can go out with them only in the back yard, but if she alone or there are other kids here I go out with her. Sometimes she can go out and play alone while I keep an eye from the open back door. As someone else said, I do go out with them probably half the time just because outside is nice or I have other things to do in the yard. My oldest doesn't really go out by herself unless she has something to do, she doesn't really do aimless playing anywhere.

tempus vernum 05-10-2018 07:44 AM

We have a fenced yard. My kids were allowed to be out pretty young but I did a lot of gardening when they were young so it was pretty rare they were out there long without me, maybe 2-2.5? I also have a row of widows that looks out on our postage sized lot.

My eldest (about to be 18) still plays outside if she has time - lawn games trampoline or entertains the neighbors occasionally.

My younger two (16.5 and 12.5) are out every single nice day

We’ve always encouraged them as much as possible and changed w their ages (purchased lawn games chalk anything to get them out ;)

Aerynne 05-10-2018 08:08 AM

It’s such a gradual transition. Ours has a 6 foot fence all the way around. At first I would be out there with them always, and then I might run in to grab something. A little later I might go in and make a snack, etc. It’s such a gradual transition I can’t give you an age.

No one in my family is too old, and I have a 14yo.

ECingMama 05-10-2018 08:17 AM

I am an extreme extrovert. I prefer my kids playing in the front when they are too little and need supervision. And we've lived very close to parks with playgrounds and grassy fields. I preferred to go there. I didn't want to sit in the back, so we didn't!

We moved into the house we're selling when the kids were 4 and 6, fully fenced backyard. They've played in it unsupervised ever since. They love it. It's terraced. We're getting feedback that children can't play in the yard. We just roll our eyes and feel sorry for their children. Adults care. Children just play. It's a huge yard.

Aerynne 05-10-2018 12:41 PM

Why can’t children play in the yard? The only thing I’ve seen in fully fenced backyards that would make it unsafe are extremely tall walls (remember we live next to mountains so I’m talking back yard is a cliff) or pools.

ECingMama 05-10-2018 01:06 PM

I wouldn't send a 1 year old to play in our backyard unsupervised. I can't in our new yard either though as it's a deck and then steps down to the yard. Mom said she never would have even looked at our house.

I was just curious about when it's normal to play and when kids stop. Our public schooled neighbors never play. That are too scheduled.

Llee 05-10-2018 04:30 PM

Too old for backyard play? Well, I had high school juniors and seniors playing in our back yard several evenings this week. ;)

Virginia 05-10-2018 04:53 PM

We had a fenced back yard and played outside with mom looking out the window starting around age 5 or so, but the kitchen window literally looked right into the backyard.

Too old? Never. DH and I still play catch or volleyball in the backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pragmatist 05-10-2018 06:14 PM

I let my oldest play in our fenced backyard alone at 4. She still plays outside frequently at 11.

ValiantJoy07 05-11-2018 02:12 AM

It has been around 2.5 here, I will let Isaac go out by himself for a bit. At 18months I was letting him be out there with older siblings while I ran inside to grab something. We have a 6foot secure fence around our yard though.

bananacake 05-11-2018 03:44 AM

Outside time is actually in the list of chores/daily responsibilities. We do 30 minutes minimum and plan to do that for life :giggle

ECingMama 05-11-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6141120)
We had a fenced back yard and played outside with mom looking out the window starting around age 5 or so, but the kitchen window literally looked right into the backyard.

Too old? Never. DH and I still play catch or volleyball in the backyard.

Do you have your own fenced yard large enough to play volleyball in?

Or a common area with loads of grass?

We have trails about 10 houses from us that go for thirty miles. Along those trails are grassy fields(maintained, mowed) and playgrounds and soccer fields, and, and, and.

My husband and I have been together more than 15 years and we've pretty much never played in our backyards. We've done yard work in them. We've played with the kids in them (although, again, I prefer to be in the flat front yard with neighbors to watch and talk to). But we LOVE to go for walks and runs together on our amazing trails.

I don't know if that makes us unusual or what.

I really have no concept of how often teens play in their backyards as I was really too busy for that.

HuggaBuggaMommy 05-11-2018 11:40 AM

Last year I let my three-year-old outside in the backyard with his six-year-old sister. Our yard is not fenced but we live on a very low traffic street. Still, they stayed in the backyard, and I stayed in the kitchen (at the back out the house) with the door open so I could hear them.

2sunshines 05-11-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6141178)
I really have no concept of how often teens play in their backyards as I was really too busy for that.

My teens spend most of their outdoor time in the driveway shooting hoops.

Sometimes they'll play an impromptu game of baseball or kickball with the neighbourhood kids.

We live in the country so have a yard large enough to accommodate that.

The other thing they'll do outside is play random runaround games with the little siblings. And actually my 15 year old dd will swing on the swingset with her friends occassionally. :lol We have a really nice industrial strength metal swing set that accommodates even adults at full swing! A friend gave it to us. It's the best thing ever. :rockon

But overall I would say that my teens aren't out in the yard a lot.... But it still happens. :yes

Virginia 05-11-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6141178)
Do you have your own fenced yard large enough to play volleyball in?

Or a common area with loads of grass?

We have trails about 10 houses from us that go for thirty miles. Along those trails are grassy fields(maintained, mowed) and playgrounds and soccer fields, and, and, and.

My husband and I have been together more than 15 years and we've pretty much never played in our backyards. We've done yard work in them. We've played with the kids in them (although, again, I prefer to be in the flat front yard with neighbors to watch and talk to). But we LOVE to go for walks and runs together on our amazing trails.

I don't know if that makes us unusual or what.

We just “pepper” (hit the ball back and forth) with each other in our very small space. Teens seem to shoot hoops a lot in my neighborhood or play catch.

CelticJourney 05-11-2018 04:40 PM

My son is 12.5. He does archery outside. He asked about doing it inside, but I said no. :shifty

ECingMama 05-11-2018 05:18 PM

It's really nice that you have a small yard for KO to play in!

We have a community basketball hoop in our cul de sac. :) We're at the back of the cul de sac too. Everyone plays catch in the big circle in the middle.

The right buyer will come along. I think our market has shifted to 50/50. It's not a seller's market in our town. The prices have gotten to expensive. But we'd take less! Make an offer! :)

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticJourney (Post 6141254)
My son is 12.5. He does archery outside. He asked about doing it inside, but I said no. :shifty

My friend has her archery set up in her basement. :giggle

WanderingJuniper 05-12-2018 12:26 PM

Depending on the child 3-5yo but our yard is small and i can see all of it but on little corner from just about anywhere in our first floor.

Mine are 12-16 and still play outside, front, back, Park. Currently our backyard is more hangout than play but if it’s nice at least o e of my kids is out there with a book or setting up a game if wahsers.

Beth1231 05-12-2018 01:16 PM

My oldest was....six. Because that’s when we had a backyard and not an apartment patio. She played on the patio in her water table and such around age 4. My boys were younger because of where we lived. My youngest is 4.5 and started around age 4 (when we put up a fence).

FlyingBlueKiwi 05-12-2018 02:07 PM

What is the vibe in your neighborhood? Will a cranky neighbor call CPS on you?