Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Fermentation support thread :D (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=415314)

DancingWithElves 07-09-2011 03:14 PM

Re: Fermentation support thread :D

i have a really big jar and i weigh pickles down by wedging in a tupperwear lid just the right size to fit into the jar, and then i put a little clay cup on top if it keeps rising anyways. i notice that larger jars are more likely to get a little moldy (which is ok, these are not bad molds, they can be skimmed off). smaller jars don't tend to do that, go figure.

i didn't think you were supposed to close the lids tight? I thought the ferments needed to "breathe" ? :think

abbiroads 07-09-2011 03:48 PM

I have a question (and I can start my own thread if this is not the right place to ask). I have strong reactions to any sugar and have been eating only low-medium carb fruits and veggies. How does fermenting change the way the body responds to the foods? I'm so intriged but I'm a little too afraid to try without more information.

bananacake 07-09-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingWithElves (Post 4022975)
i didn't think you were supposed to close the lids tight? I thought the ferments needed to "breathe" ? :think

I always close them tight. I know they still breathe some because they leak.

AngelaVA 07-09-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbiroads (Post 4023048)
I have a question (and I can start my own thread if this is not the right place to ask). I have strong reactions to any sugar and have been eating only low-medium carb fruits and veggies. How does fermenting change the way the body responds to the foods? I'm so intriged but I'm a little too afraid to try without more information.

I don't have any scientific data but I've noticed I don't like or crave really sweet foods very much since I've been eating more fermented foods. I still eat chocolate very so often though.

Blue-EyedLady 07-09-2011 06:08 PM

So these are total newbie questions, but do the veggies taste alcoholic? Or more vinegar-y like a pickle? Can you over-ferment something to the point where it's gone bad? How do I know the bacterial cultures are safe to eat raw and not going to give me some dreaded disease?

Soliloquy 07-09-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeofhazzard (Post 4022536)
Lisa, you wouldn't happen to have a scoby available would you? Are they mailable?

Yes and yes. Pm me.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady (Post 4023278)
So these are total newbie questions, but do the veggies taste alcoholic? Or more vinegar-y like a pickle? Can you over-ferment something to the point where it's gone bad? How do I know the bacterial cultures are safe to eat raw and not going to give me some dreaded disease?

No, not alcoholic. Have you ever had Bubbies pickles? That's what they taste like. Briney and sour and satisfying an ancient craving you didn't even know you had ...

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

It might get bad after a few years. Maybe. :lol. It just gets more sour with time. It's a far better preservation method than modern methods. Cheaper too.

DancingWithElves 07-09-2011 06:54 PM

abbi, watch these http://www.youtube.com/user/CorganicTV#p/p

abbiroads 07-09-2011 07:23 PM

I am not an auditory learner (I follow movies/tv best with cc, fortunatly for dh they are available for LOST on Netflix :giggle), is this info summerized somewhere? I watched the first one and it was about GAPS, is that what all 6 videos are about? I am concvinced GAPS works and I do think it would help me but I am not ready to make the commitment yet. I do want to know if I can eat fermented carrots without having a sugar-induced rage day the next day. ;)

curlymopmom 07-09-2011 07:46 PM

Abbi - You'd benefit from drinking the juice. So maybe start there? Just a teaspoon a day and work your way up. That's what I would do.

abbiroads 07-09-2011 07:49 PM

So the juice no longer has carbs, they have been converterted to alcohol?

sweetpeasmommy 07-09-2011 08:11 PM

:help I made some lactofermented applesauce and I *think* it said 3 days. I know it's hot here, but it's been 2 days. When I tasted it yesterday it was delicious. Today it tastes like alcohol. Given C's previous ability to convert ALL sugars even fruit to alcohol in the brain, I don't want him to eat that even if he would. If I let it go another day, will the alcohol be gone or is it a lost cause?

curlymopmom 07-09-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbiroads (Post 4023520)
So the juice no longer has carbs, they have been converterted to alcohol?

Sorry... I don't really know. I have read that kefir is good for people with diabetes and blood sugar issues, because the sugar is consumed by the grains. I thought you were worried about the veggie, so I figured you could start slow with just the juice. :shrug3 Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in!

wallflowermama 07-09-2011 10:43 PM

:popcorn

Blue-EyedLady 07-10-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4023305)
Yes and yes. Pm me.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

No, not alcoholic. Have you ever had Bubbies pickles? That's what they taste like. Briney and sour and satisfying an ancient craving you didn't even know you had ...

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

It might get bad after a few years. Maybe. :lol. It just gets more sour with time. It's a far better preservation method than modern methods. Cheaper too.

I've never had Bubbies - I'm not sure I've ever seen the brand. :scratch

My carrots are floating this morning. This is good, yes?

Re: the alcohol - alcohol is a sugar. :yes I remember that much from high school chemistry. My mom told me that alcohol turns to vinegar after a while (while :jawdrop that I was fermenting carrots and freaking out about it). So maybe let it go for a few more days?

bananacake 07-10-2011 07:53 AM

I have stuff in my blog about sprouting & fermenting.

Sprouting
Fermenting