Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Fermentation support thread :D (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=415314)

bananacake 08-22-2011 05:54 PM

Re: Fermentation support thread :D

Oh my goodness, the dilly carrots I'm making are so beautiful! I used purple, white & orange carrots from my farmshare. I hope they taste as good as they look :lol

I made 6 more quarts of pickles tonight. I'm out of dill, or I'd make more. And um, I need to find a second fridge within a week so I can store all this stuff :shifty

If I ever decide to do GAPS, we will be all set!

abbiroads 08-23-2011 02:58 PM

I use leftover jars saved from food. Coconut oil jars work well but I save any glass jar I can.

joysworld 08-24-2011 08:45 AM

Okay, my second attempt at fermented carrots is done. I tasted one, and the the texture was rubbery, it was very tangy, and the garlic was overpowering. Did I do it wrong?

bananacake 08-24-2011 09:39 AM

Sounds about right to me! Try using less garlic next time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thankfulforgrace 08-24-2011 07:36 PM

Sounds fine to me. You can use less or no garlic if you wish!

bananacake 08-24-2011 07:39 PM

Speaking of garlic, does anyone just ferment garlic? Do you think eating it out of the dilly carrot jars has the same effect as eating it unfermented raw?
Posted via Mobile Device

bananacake 08-28-2011 05:10 PM

Does anyone pickle eggs in the fermented juice? I'm using the juice from the purple dilly carrots to pickle some eggs :)
Posted via Mobile Device

MTmomma 08-30-2011 09:58 AM

:hi2 Can I jump in here? Now that the pool is closed for the summer, I'm moving on to putting up all of the stuff from our garden.

First up is pickles. I really REALLY want to do fermented pickles, but I don't have the fridge space to store them through the winter. Will it totally negate the good stuff in them if I can them?

And I'm also wondering if anyone has a good tried and true fermented dilly bean recipe. TIA! I'm looking forward to having you all to bounce ideas off of. :rockon

NeshamaMama 08-30-2011 10:55 AM

Alright, I've done dilly carrots, pickles, kraut, and salsa so far (and failed at ginger beer because I forgot to keep feeding my little bug. it's still on my counter. :bag). Everything has been excellent. :yum

I use double salt and no whey, random glass jars that I save from the store, and have discovered that for whatever reason my house and the current temperature necessitate a slightly shorter fermentation time that generally recommended or else I start to get alcohol flavor. Double salt does make them salty, but I haven't minded so far, except for the kraut, which makes me feel sick if I eat more than a couple tbsp. at a time. :shrug

I'm ready to start my second double-batch of pickles - talk to me about using the leftover liquid as a starter. I can do that, right? How? What do I add? Just the cukes? Extra salt? The liquid has obviously been in my fridge since I stuck my first batch in there, is it okay to take it out and let it sit again while I ferment the second batch in it?

Anyone want to share any good fruit ferment recipes? Someone did berry preserves, right?

Oh, and can I also say that as someone with OAS who hasn't been able to eat a raw carrot in 10 years, how AWESOME it was to crunch down on dilly carrots to my heart's content. :rockon Fermenting has opened up a whole new world of food possibilities! It has changed my snacking life. :shifty

Auroras mom 08-30-2011 12:00 PM

My garlic/basicl/ginger carrots came out awesome! They are crisp, garlicky, gingery deliciousness.

Next I am doing yellow an red bell peppers. My dh is doing his own carrots.

Pickled garlic by itself is fantastic too - highly recommend it.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

** where do you guys get your whey? I have greek yogurt, and it is stingy about giving up any whey for me.

NeshamaMama 08-30-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auroras mom (Post 4131266)
My garlic/basicl/ginger carrots came out awesome! They are crisp, garlicky, gingery deliciousness.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

** where do you guys get your whey? I have greek yogurt, and it is stingy about giving up any whey for me.

Recipe for the bolded please! :poke That sounds DELICIOUS!

Thankfulforgrace 08-30-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auroras mom (Post 4131266)

I get my whey from my homemade yogurt. I wonder though if greek yogurt is too thick? That's what I'm making right now. Hmmm.

MTmomma 09-05-2011 09:56 AM

Okay someone hold my hand. I have a gallon of dill pickles fermenting on my counter. They're on day 3 and not ready yet, but it is exciting! I grew up doing sauerkraut, so I'm not totally new to fermenting veggies. I just hope these turn out better than our regular old vinegar canned pickles. :)

AngelaVA 09-05-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 4121241)
Speaking of garlic, does anyone just ferment garlic? Do you think eating it out of the dilly carrot jars has the same effect as eating it unfermented raw?
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking of pressing it and making it into salad dressing. I'm not sure on the effects though.

abbiroads 09-05-2011 04:59 PM

I ave some celery and zuchinni I need to use. Any ideas for fermenting them?