Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Instant pot! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=517412)

backtobasicsmum 01-12-2016 07:15 PM

Instant pot!

So....I've got one of those new-fangled Instant Pots coming in the mail. My crock pot died today and everyone ;) seems to have one. What are you cooking in yours?

ECingMama 01-12-2016 08:22 PM

Re: Instant pot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 5979527)
So....I've got one of those new-fangled Instant Pots coming in the mail. My crock pot died today and everyone ;) seems to have one. What are you cooking in yours?

Instant pot in Colorado is Marijuana.

:giggle

Soliloquy 01-12-2016 08:46 PM

I just heard of these! I want one!

Punkie 01-12-2016 08:49 PM

I love my Instant Pot! (I live in Colorado, but I'm totally talking about the appliance here, lol.)

Tonight's dinner was one of our favorites - white chicken chili. I use dry beans and it is totally done after an hour, even at our ridiculous altitude.

I use it for pretty much everything.... grains, beans, meats.... There's an Instant Pot FB group that is really helpful. Some of the people are a bit obsessed (and make a LOT of cheesecake in there), but there are lots of yummy recipes posted. :)

backtobasicsmum 01-12-2016 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 5979549)
Instant pot in Colorado is Marijuana.

:giggle

I do think they should have reconsidered the brand naming. :giggle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkie (Post 5979566)
I love my Instant Pot! (I live in Colorado, but I'm totally talking about the appliance here, lol.)

Tonight's dinner was one of our favorites - white chicken chili. I use dry beans and it is totally done after an hour, even at our ridiculous altitude.

I use it for pretty much everything.... grains, beans, meats.... There's an Instant Pot FB group that is really helpful. Some of the people are a bit obsessed (and make a LOT of cheesecake in there), but there are lots of yummy recipes posted. :)

I found the Facebook group but it moves FAST! Hopefully I can keep up with recipe suggestions here.

I do a lot of soaking/cooking/freezing dry beans.....I'm hoping this will enable me to skip a step.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 5979563)
I just heard of these! I want one!

They are on sale on Amazon right now. :yes. Half the original price (at least on the Canadian version ).

Lady Grey 01-12-2016 11:22 PM

I just got one too, though I'm finding it a little overwhelming.

So far I have made hard boiled eggs and brown rice lol. I'm planning to do a whole chicken next.

Punkie 01-13-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 5979614)
I do a lot of soaking/cooking/freezing dry beans.....I'm hoping this will enable me to skip a step.

I think it is a superstar when it comes to making beans. I like the texture of pressure cooked beans much better than the texture of crockpot beans. I also love that I can toss dry beans into soup recipes and they come out perfectly when the soup is done cooking.

Steel cut oats cook really quickly in the Instant Pot, too. The trick is that you need to make sure to use non-dairy milk in them, because dairy milk will scorch and taste burnt.

Soliloquy 01-13-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkie (Post 5979667)

Steel cut oats cook really quickly in the Instant Pot, too. The trick is that you need to make sure to use non-dairy milk in them, because dairy milk will scorch and taste burnt.

What if you use water?

They're half price on US Amazon, too. I think I need this more than I need new pajamas ...

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Is this a good one to get?

Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker 6Qt/1000W, Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ..._z7NLwb3XHAGTX

Seriously, I have the world's worst cook top and it has brought me to tears more than once. I've never burned food until we moved to this house. The cook top is so unpredictable and it's an Electrolux! I'm ordering today.

ECingMama 01-13-2016 10:15 AM

Lisa, I bought that one last night. After learning instant pot is more than a drug. Lol. My in laws sent $100 for our special day. I'm hoping my husband can learn to cook with this. :shifty

ctab 01-13-2016 10:23 AM

Got mine during a thanksgiving sale, and it is awesome!

I have made:

Copycat zuppa tuscana Olive Garden soup
Whole chicken in the instantpot
Pork lion with gravy

Soliloquy 01-13-2016 10:57 AM

My mom sent me some money for baby things. I was going to set aside it to order Thai carry-out post-partum but I think G and dh will enjoy cooking in this thing.

I hate soaking beans, also.

:jump

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

I just ordered. It's coming on Friday! I'm so excited! This will enable us to postpone replacing the cook top for much longer.

backtobasicsmum 01-13-2016 11:51 AM

So glad I can enable people in the instant pot trend! ;) mine won't be here until next week.

Pragmatist 01-13-2016 05:24 PM

Now I want one too! Seeing if I can justify the expense...

Soliloquy 01-13-2016 08:14 PM

Yeah for Amazon, mine is coming tomorrow instead of Friday! That might actually motivate me to make a grocery run in the morning to try a new recipe.

I'm thinking some kind of risotto ...

Contented in FL 01-13-2016 08:47 PM

Oh dear. I'm storing one of these for someone but I never use it, though I have permission to.... Now I think I should buy one because it's on sale! ;) Or maybe I can just be inspired by you all and use this one :)

twentysixcats 01-13-2016 11:20 PM

I want one so bad! Though we got a new stove recently and I'm enjoying it, so I don't mind waiting for now.

I'm curious though... how does Instant Pot compare with other pressure cookers? Why is everyone so crazy about this one in particular?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 01-14-2016 07:12 AM

You can sautee in it, slow cook, make yogurt, and it has all these settings for perfect pressure cooking using fuzzy logic/AI technology. So, if you want to sautee onions, you do that right in the Instant Pot. Add your other ingredients and switch it to another setting.

DahliaRW 01-14-2016 12:42 PM

Mine is coming today (even though I didn't order it until late Tuesday night)! I'm so excited to try it out. I've been looking at one for a while - and finally decided to use some gift money towards one.

Soliloquy 01-14-2016 01:15 PM

I ordered mine yesterday afternoon, PST, and it's coming today! I couldn't figure out what to try first but dh is hungry for shrimp Alfredo so that's what we're trying tonight.
https://youtu.be/HP3NJQ-eTNg

Eventually I'll order a cookbook.

Soliloquy 01-14-2016 07:20 PM

Wow, it sautees beautifully! I doubled the Alfredo recipe, it's on the pressure setting right now.

backtobasicsmum 01-14-2016 07:27 PM

Mine arrived today too! I haven't used it yet.

esperanza 01-14-2016 08:35 PM

My neighbor has posted about it on FB. I'm intrigued but I really don't know anything about it. How big is it? Storage would be an issue. Curious to see how people like it. I love my crock pot. Can it do things a crock pot can't?

The Tickle Momster 01-14-2016 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 5980254)
My neighbor has posted about it on FB. I'm intrigued but I really don't know anything about it. How big is it? Storage would be an issue. Curious to see how people like it. I love my crock pot. Can it do things a crock pot can't?

I'm curious about this too. If it would replace my crockpot I could more easily justify the expense. :think

blondie 01-14-2016 10:04 PM

I talked my husband into one tonight. :dance. i mean, I can have whatever, but I totally sold him on this big purchase in just a few hours. :giggle. Our main crock pot is old and our rice cooker is old, and they are both scratched and that freaks me out. i love that this has stainless steel inside.

Kirkie 01-14-2016 10:09 PM

ThreeKids 01-15-2016 08:03 AM

I already have the electric pressure cooker, so I can't justify this for a while. I have to render a bunch of lard in a small crockpot with hard to control temperature, so I'm going to be feeling the jealousy soon. The larger crockpot CRACKED while I was rendering lard.

Soliloquy 01-15-2016 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 5980256)
I'm curious about this too. If it would replace my crockpot I could more easily justify the expense. :think

It has a slow cooker setting. And if you need to brown any ingredients for the recipe, you can do that right in the Instant Pot and then set it to slow cook.

Last night was a learning experience. :lol. The manual that comes with it leaves a bit to be desired. They should've had a 4/3-person write it. :lol. We did figure it out, though. Also, I should've chosen the first recipe to try. My dj wanted that Alfredo but I knew that the whole purpose of a pressure cooker is to shorten cooking times drastically and pasta and shrimp cook quickly ... It all turned out, though, and it was good (although I prefer my own Alfredo recipe).

One thing-- when figuring out how long it will take to prepare your meal you have to add in time to bring the pot to pressure. How full it is, whether any ingredients are frozen, and your altitude all affect that length of time. I doubled the recipe, the shrimp were frozen, and we're at a higher altitude (Not high enough that I have to adjust baking recipes, though) and it took about 12 minutes to come to pressure.

Also, beans and grains have to de-pressurize more slowly than other foods. You put a cold, damp cloth on the pressure valve and wait a bit. Then you can release a tiny bit of pressure at a time. Or just wait for the lock to release.

I do really love it, though. I'm going to make steel cut oats this morning and then bone broth.

backtobasicsmum 01-15-2016 09:30 AM

My first try was boiled eggs. :giggle

1 cup of water in the bottom. About two minutes warm up time, five minutes of steam. And eggs that the peels didn't stick at all!! :rockon

ctab 01-15-2016 10:04 AM

This post might be helpful
http://paleoparents.com/2016/tutoria...cipe-round-up/

Soliloquy 01-15-2016 11:25 AM

The steel cut oats came out beautifully! 4 cups oats, 6 cups water, multigrain setting for 10 minutes. I put a cold, damp cloth napkin on the pressure valve when it was done and it de-pressurized very quickly.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Eta it made a lot of oats, next time I'll do 3 cups oats, 5 cups water.

ECingMama 01-15-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtobasicsmum (Post 5980357)
My first try was boiled eggs. :giggle

1 cup of water in the bottom. About two minutes warm up time, five minutes of steam. And eggs that the peels didn't stick at all!! :rockon

I did a recipe :lol for hard boiled eggs. Said 8 minutes. They turned our perfectly. Were they really done at 5 minutes? I put mine in an ice bath as soon as the steam was gone.

backtobasicsmum 01-15-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 5980564)
I did a recipe :lol for hard boiled eggs. Said 8 minutes. They turned our perfectly. Were they really done at 5 minutes? I put mine in an ice bath as soon as the steam was gone.

I don't like any softness in hard boiled eggs. They have to be *done*. 5 minutes and I used the quick release, they were good for me. :yes

teamommy 01-16-2016 04:53 PM

I've had one for 3 or 4 years now. I use it all the time. I cook beans and oatmeal in it often. It's great for steaming vegetables, potatoes. And soups are really quick. I use the slow cooker setting often, too.

ECingMama 01-16-2016 05:48 PM

I steamed beets in mine today. :rockon

I also cooked frozen chicken in a once a month cooking recipe I prepared a few weeks ago.

I'm making rice now.

backtobasicsmum 01-16-2016 06:10 PM

I made two batches of refried beans and then beans and rice for our dinner tonight. :)

Lady Grey 01-16-2016 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 5980564)

When I did 8 minutes, mine were overcooked - green around the yokes and two of the eggs had cracked open. 5 minutes worked much better. :shrug3

Soliloquy 01-16-2016 06:16 PM

I made bone broth yesterday. I filled it 2/3 full with chicken bones and cold water. Manual setting, high pressure, 2 hours.

This broth had the most beautiful gel!

I'm making chicken and vegetable soup with it right now. Cooked chicken breasts that I found in the freezer, cubed potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions. I'm using the soup setting for 15 minutes. I don't know if that's the right amount of time but we'll see.

graciousmomma 01-16-2016 06:37 PM

Subbing :popcorn I have some Christmas money I haven't spent yet...thinking about getting one of these.

Soliloquy 01-16-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 5980808)
When I did 8 minutes, mine were overcooked - green around the yokes and two of the eggs had cracked open. 5 minutes worked much better. :shrug3

Altitude is a factor. I imagine the size of the eggs has a slight effect, too. Lately I've been getting super jumbo.

ECingMama 01-16-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 5980818)
Altitude is a factor. I imagine the size of the eggs has a slight effect, too. Lately I've been getting super jumbo.

Yes, this. I just read that I need to add 20% cooking time to all my recipes.

The rice was great. 3 minutes. 10 minutes natural steam. 3.5 cups cooking liquid and 2 cups jasmine rice.

The frozen chicken took 12 minutes. I'm still in shock. I removed the chicken and put the liquid and rice in.