Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Instant pot! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=517412)

Soliloquy 01-18-2016 04:54 PM

Re: Instant pot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by november (Post 5981339)
I got an Instant Pot for Christmas and I am too nervous to use it ! What is my problem?!!? Lol! I feel so intimidated by this contraption! Going to start reading this thread from the start and see if I can muster up some courage to give it a whirl lol

Do the initial run from the instruction book with just water. Page 17.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 5981212)
I'm intrigued. I'm curious about the size. Can you do little and big amounts? Or is it like a crockpot where you have to fill it over halfway?

You don't have to fill it a certain amount.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Mommypotamus just posted this about the Instant Pot vs a traditional pressure cooker.

Quote:

Anyway, the lid to my pressure cooker just so happened to break when the 7-in-1 Instant Pot was on sale, so I decided to give it a whirl. Oh. My. Goodness. I didn’t realize how much I was babysitting my old pressure cooker until I pressed a few buttons on my Instant Pot and walked away for an hour.
http://www.mommypotamus.com/instant-...whole-chicken/

This link has her recipe for a roast chicken in the IP. She writes that the skin isn't soggy like in the slow cooker (I really hate that about slow cookers) but not as crispy as the oven.

ctab 01-21-2016 05:08 AM

Search for instant pot community on Facebook. It is a huge and very active group on Facebook. Thy have lots of good ideas.

backtobasicsmum 01-21-2016 07:15 AM

Yesterday I cooked just brown rice to go with our dinner. It was so nice to just set it, and walk away!

ECingMama 01-21-2016 07:16 AM

I micro defrosted a meal for three minutes and then put the ice chunks into the pot. 12 minutes later!!! Yum!

ctab 01-22-2016 04:45 AM

I had the best pressure cooker ribs!

I used spareribs from Costco. I made a rack in a half, and cut the full rack in half and the final half rack in two to fit it in the pot.

I put 1/2 cup cider vinegar, and 1 1/2 apple Juice in the bottom. Then I placed the trivet it, and stood the ribs up on the trivet. Since they were still a tad frozen I cooked them 25 minute on the meat setting.

Pulled the out, sauced them, and broiled them a few minutes on eat side. Amazing!

Dandelion 01-22-2016 11:06 AM

So far I have made refried beans, two batches of chicken broth, and right now I am making some broccoli soup. I am loving it:rockon. The only negatives I can come up with so far are the size of the pot - I had to do two batches of beans to make what I would normally make in one on the stove or in the crockpot, and then the smell of the sealing ring - I am wondering if I make something like oatmeal if it will taste/smell like chicken broth:think

HuggaBuggaMommy 01-22-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandelion (Post 5982808)
and then the smell of the sealing ring - I am wondering if I make something like oatmeal if it will taste/smell like chicken broth:think

It will. You need at least two rings, one for "sweet" or things like oatmeal (less flavor), and one for savory/high flavor meals. There are plenty of people reporting cheesecakes that taste like pulled pork on the FB page. :hunh

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandelion (Post 5982808)
The only negatives I can come up with so far are the size of the pot - I had to do two batches of beans to make what I would normally make in one on the stove or in the crockpot,:think

You must have a huge Crockpot! My Instant Pot is twice the size of my slow cooker - which I only used to make refried beans because I never liked how anything else cooked in it.

I've made refried beans, minestrone soup, several Indian curries, Jasmine rice, Mexican rice, and a pot roast so far. I like it much better than the Crockpot, but it's not my "go to" yet.

Soliloquy 01-22-2016 05:37 PM

This is the best ever for bone broth! For my second batch I used a lot more frozen bones, a tea kettle of boiling water, and filled the rest with room temp water. I filled it almost to the max fill line this time.

2 hours on manual produces a better broth than I would get in 36 hours on the stove. And my stove isn't unavailable for a day and a half.

I've been washing my sealing ring with a Scotch Brite scrubbie and so far it's not holding odor. But I haven't tried anything like bbq yet.

ECingMama 01-22-2016 05:46 PM

My sealing ring stinks already, despite daily washing.

And, I forgot to put the ring back in yesterday!!! Food was boiling before I noticed!

lmgeenw 01-22-2016 07:24 PM

I've never heard of this, but I'm convinced I need one! ;) I'm adding it to my Christmas list for next year.

Lady Grey 01-22-2016 08:27 PM

Sigh. I made broth yesterday, using the link someone posted earlier in the thread, and it is so pale that it's white and no gel. :scratch I've had crockpot broth turn out lovely so who knows.

I'm kind of accepting the fact that the IP has a big learning curve for me.

ECingMama 01-22-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 5982982)
Sigh. I made broth yesterday, using the link someone posted earlier in the thread, and it is so pale that it's white and no gel. :scratch I've had crockpot broth turn out lovely so who knows.

I prefer my crock pot broth too.

Soliloquy 01-23-2016 12:18 PM

:( I'm sorry your broth didn't turn out. I wonder why.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 5982982)

Did you use the soup setting or manual?

Lady Grey 01-23-2016 01:16 PM

Manual setting.

backtobasicsmum 01-23-2016 01:33 PM

An auntie bought an instant pot after my rave reviews on Facebook and then recommended meatloaf! I have to look for a recipe and it may go on my meal plan for next week.