Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Instant pot! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=517412)

twentysixcats 01-13-2016 11:20 PM

Re: Instant pot!

I want one so bad! Though we got a new stove recently and I'm enjoying it, so I don't mind waiting for now.

I'm curious though... how does Instant Pot compare with other pressure cookers? Why is everyone so crazy about this one in particular?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 01-14-2016 07:12 AM

You can sautee in it, slow cook, make yogurt, and it has all these settings for perfect pressure cooking using fuzzy logic/AI technology. So, if you want to sautee onions, you do that right in the Instant Pot. Add your other ingredients and switch it to another setting.

DahliaRW 01-14-2016 12:42 PM

Mine is coming today (even though I didn't order it until late Tuesday night)! I'm so excited to try it out. I've been looking at one for a while - and finally decided to use some gift money towards one.

Soliloquy 01-14-2016 01:15 PM

I ordered mine yesterday afternoon, PST, and it's coming today! I couldn't figure out what to try first but dh is hungry for shrimp Alfredo so that's what we're trying tonight.
https://youtu.be/HP3NJQ-eTNg

Eventually I'll order a cookbook.

Soliloquy 01-14-2016 07:20 PM

Wow, it sautees beautifully! I doubled the Alfredo recipe, it's on the pressure setting right now.

backtobasicsmum 01-14-2016 07:27 PM

Mine arrived today too! I haven't used it yet.

esperanza 01-14-2016 08:35 PM

My neighbor has posted about it on FB. I'm intrigued but I really don't know anything about it. How big is it? Storage would be an issue. Curious to see how people like it. I love my crock pot. Can it do things a crock pot can't?

The Tickle Momster 01-14-2016 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 5980254)
My neighbor has posted about it on FB. I'm intrigued but I really don't know anything about it. How big is it? Storage would be an issue. Curious to see how people like it. I love my crock pot. Can it do things a crock pot can't?

I'm curious about this too. If it would replace my crockpot I could more easily justify the expense. :think

blondie 01-14-2016 10:04 PM

I talked my husband into one tonight. :dance. i mean, I can have whatever, but I totally sold him on this big purchase in just a few hours. :giggle. Our main crock pot is old and our rice cooker is old, and they are both scratched and that freaks me out. i love that this has stainless steel inside.

Kirkie 01-14-2016 10:09 PM

ThreeKids 01-15-2016 08:03 AM

I already have the electric pressure cooker, so I can't justify this for a while. I have to render a bunch of lard in a small crockpot with hard to control temperature, so I'm going to be feeling the jealousy soon. The larger crockpot CRACKED while I was rendering lard.

Soliloquy 01-15-2016 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 5980256)
I'm curious about this too. If it would replace my crockpot I could more easily justify the expense. :think

It has a slow cooker setting. And if you need to brown any ingredients for the recipe, you can do that right in the Instant Pot and then set it to slow cook.

Last night was a learning experience. :lol. The manual that comes with it leaves a bit to be desired. They should've had a 4/3-person write it. :lol. We did figure it out, though. Also, I should've chosen the first recipe to try. My dj wanted that Alfredo but I knew that the whole purpose of a pressure cooker is to shorten cooking times drastically and pasta and shrimp cook quickly ... It all turned out, though, and it was good (although I prefer my own Alfredo recipe).

One thing-- when figuring out how long it will take to prepare your meal you have to add in time to bring the pot to pressure. How full it is, whether any ingredients are frozen, and your altitude all affect that length of time. I doubled the recipe, the shrimp were frozen, and we're at a higher altitude (Not high enough that I have to adjust baking recipes, though) and it took about 12 minutes to come to pressure.

Also, beans and grains have to de-pressurize more slowly than other foods. You put a cold, damp cloth on the pressure valve and wait a bit. Then you can release a tiny bit of pressure at a time. Or just wait for the lock to release.

I do really love it, though. I'm going to make steel cut oats this morning and then bone broth.

backtobasicsmum 01-15-2016 09:30 AM

My first try was boiled eggs. :giggle

1 cup of water in the bottom. About two minutes warm up time, five minutes of steam. And eggs that the peels didn't stick at all!! :rockon

ctab 01-15-2016 10:04 AM

This post might be helpful
http://paleoparents.com/2016/tutoria...cipe-round-up/

Soliloquy 01-15-2016 11:25 AM

The steel cut oats came out beautifully! 4 cups oats, 6 cups water, multigrain setting for 10 minutes. I put a cold, damp cloth napkin on the pressure valve when it was done and it de-pressurized very quickly.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Eta it made a lot of oats, next time I'll do 3 cups oats, 5 cups water.