Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Astronomy for High School (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527443)

charla 07-31-2019 08:57 PM

Astronomy for High School

Anyone know of a high school astronomy curriculum? I need something for a full credit and need to somehow include a lab with it.

Quiteria 07-31-2019 10:25 PM

Re: Astronomy for High School

This blog collected a few...
https://www.learningonlineblog.com/2...chool-student/

Soliloquy 07-31-2019 11:05 PM

I think your best option might be to find a used college text and exclude any chapters/problems that are above his math level. There is extremely little true astronomy available for high school or younger, that I've found. Gravitas Publications will have one eventually that is a legitimate preparation for college astronomy.

I have not been impressed by AOP science (one of the options mentioned in the blog). I have not seen their astronomy course, though.

IME astronomy labs are almost entirely math and computer simulations. Just mentioning in case your student isn't expecting that. I did find these free lab resources.

https://www.oercommons.org/authoring...es-for-as/view

knitlove 08-01-2019 08:21 AM

It is not a currculum but I know that in Vermont the collage astronomy course used the larger astronomy book by HA Ray ( who wrote curious George- he wrote two astronomy books) as the text book.

Do you have a local planetarium? In highschool I helped program and design a plantain show.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mamacat 08-01-2019 08:24 AM

http://www.gavirtuallearning.org/Res...tronomy17.aspx I dont know what a lab would look like. You may want to contact the closest college campus that has astronomy to see when there are things open to the public . Also closest planetarium

charla 08-01-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6187947)
It is not a currculum but I know that in Vermont the collage astronomy course used the larger astronomy book by HA Ray ( who wrote curious George- he wrote two astronomy books) as the text book.

Do you have a local planetarium? In highschool I helped program and design a plantain show.

I'm having trouble finding the HA Rey college texts online. Yes, we do have a planetarium.

CelticJourney 08-01-2019 11:51 AM

Dd1 did astronomy for hs credit via the community college. I can ask her if she is willing to part with her text book.

knitlove 08-01-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6187954)
I'm having trouble finding the HA Rey college texts online. Yes, we do have a planetarium.

The Stars: A New Way to See Them https://www.amazon.com/dp/0544763440..._BCZqDbGW9BC53 it isn't published as a collage text book. I just know it was the text book for one of the collages. The planetarium manager spent a lot of time talking to early bird when she was obsessed with astronomy.

charla 08-01-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticJourney (Post 6187966)
Dd1 did astronomy for hs credit via the community college. I can ask her if she is willing to part with her text book.

Does it have labs with it? I may be interested in buying it if she's willing to part with it. Do you have a title handy so that I might try to find it online to see if it will fit our needs?

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6187971)
The Stars: A New Way to See Them https://www.amazon.com/dp/0544763440..._BCZqDbGW9BC53 it isn't published as a collage text book. I just know it was the text book for one of the collages. The planetarium manager spent a lot of time talking to early bird when she was obsessed with astronomy.

I think I checked that book out of the library when my kids were little and we loved looking it!

knitlove 08-01-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6187972)
Does it have labs with it? I may be interested in buying it if she's willing to part with it. Do you have a title handy so that I might try to find it online to see if it will fit our needs?

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

I think I checked that book out of the library when my kids were little and we loved looking it!

He has a younger kids one that is yellow about.consitations.

charla 08-01-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6187974)
He has a younger kids one that is yellow about.consitations.

Oh yes, I remember now it being yellow because it reminded me of the Curious George books. :yes

Quiteria 08-01-2019 04:01 PM

Yes, The Stars one is more in-depth than the yellow one. We checked them both out while doing astronomy within Earth Science.

CelticJourney 08-02-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6187972)
Does it have labs with it? I may be interested in buying it if she's willing to part with it. Do you have a title handy so that I might try to find it online to see if it will fit our needs?[COLOR="Silver"]

They did do labs and I think she still has them BUT...my friend's husband is very into astronomy (owns a solar telescope into it) and he did all the labs with her and was sometimes frustrated with them.

I'll check with her on the title.

CelticJourney 08-11-2019 07:40 AM

Found it! Foundations of Astronomy 8th edition by Backman. It does have labs BUT keep in mind this was not a homeschool course, so I don't have any answer key or anything.

Send me a PM if you want me to go ahead and send it to you.

charla 08-12-2019 09:38 AM

I really appreciate that, CJ. I didn't take into consideration not having an answer key.:doh I know absolutely nothing about astronomy. Please let me think about it a little more although I'm leaning towards your textbook not working for us. Dd is doing chemistry this year so I'm thinking ahead for next year, so I've got some time. If you have other opportunities to sell the book, please don't hold it on my account.