Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   light and fluffy vegan cake? good vegan pancakes? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=503053)

Aerynne 04-17-2014 07:17 AM

light and fluffy vegan cake? good vegan pancakes?

I don't have a good recipe for either. Oh, and it would have to have no oil to work for me.

HuggaBuggaMommy 04-18-2014 10:13 AM

Re: light and fluffy vegan cake? good vegan pancakes?

If you find fluffy vegan pancakes, please let me know. Every recipe I try turn out like lead bombs. I usually add Enjoy Life mini chips to hide that fact. :shifty

As for cake, I don't know if I'd consider this fluffy, but it's moist and good, I think. http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013...olate-ganache/

I have made it without the oil, subbing 1/4 cup applesauce OR adding another 1/4 cup avocado, and it's turned out fine. I also don't add the coffee and use water instead.

Aerynne 04-18-2014 10:20 AM

That is totally weird! Does it taste like avocado? I don't like that chocolate mousse with the avocado (banana, avocado, sweet potato, and cocoa powder) because I can taste the avocado. Not that I don't like avocadoes- just not in desserts. So can you taste it?

Singingmom 04-18-2014 10:33 AM

I'm not vegan, but my ds is allergic to eggs and milk, so I enjoy finding new vegan recipes. I'd love to try that cake, Christa. I think I could successfully make it gluten free (one cake for everyone! dd and I are gf) since it's so moist.

I gave up on pancakes without eggs since they stick so badly until I realized I could bake them! Adding banana as an egg sub almost makes them flippable, but baking is so much easier.

Combine
1 mashed banana
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
2 t. sugar
1 T. oil (you could leave this out)
1 c. your fav milk
1 1/4 c. flour (I mix white and wheat)

Drop and slightly flatten about 1/4 c. batter for each pancake onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Makes 8-10 thick pancakes. Bake at 400 for 15 min.

I haven't actually tasted these since I haven't made them gf! Fiddle with the recipe... you could use peanut butter or pumpkin instead of or along with banana.

HuggaBuggaMommy 04-18-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 5737738)
That is totally weird! Does it taste like avocado? I don't like that chocolate mousse with the avocado (banana, avocado, sweet potato, and cocoa powder) because I can taste the avocado. Not that I don't like avocadoes- just not in desserts. So can you taste it?

No, you can't taste it. Even non-vegans love it. I'm not a fan of puddings or mousses that use banana/avocado/sweet potato either.

You can also search "wacky cake" or "crazy cake" - those are depression-era cakes that are almost always vegan. They often have oil, though.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 5737749)
I'm not vegan, but my ds is allergic to eggs and milk, so I enjoy finding new vegan recipes. I'd love to try that cake, Christa. I think I could successfully make it gluten free (one cake for everyone! dd and I are gf) since it's so moist.

I gave up on pancakes without eggs since they stick so badly until I realized I could bake them! Adding banana as an egg sub almost makes them flippable, but baking is so much easier.

Combine
1 mashed banana
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
2 t. sugar
1 T. oil (you could leave this out)
1 c. your fav milk
1 1/4 c. flour (I mix white and wheat)

Drop and slightly flatten about 1/4 batter for each pancake onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Makes 8-10 thick pancakes. Bake at 400 for 15 min.

I haven't actually tasted these since I haven't made them gf! Fiddle with the recipe... you could use peanut butter or pumpkin instead of or along with banana.

Baked pancakes? :jawdrop You're my hero. :giggle

teamommy 04-18-2014 11:51 AM

I don't know about super light ahd fluffy, but I made these for a family birthday recently and they were yummy. They held together as cupcakes without falling apart like so many lower fat baked goods do. No oil, no dairy, no soy, and can be GF or not. I put some cherries in the frosting instead of the cake, to make the frosting colored.

http://taliafuhrman.com/healthy-coco...late-cupcakes/

L-Boogie 04-18-2014 01:00 PM

No oil sounds tricky. I wonder if happy herbivore's recipe is good :think.

I always make gf ones and use coconut oil for the fat and ener-G brand boxed egg replacer for the eggs. They turn out just fine, probably not perfect compared to normal ones, but they are fluffy :yes

ShangriLewis 04-18-2014 09:35 PM

Flaxjacks are fluffy. I know the recipe is on the recipe forum. You can omit the oil. They end up wee bit less fluffy. You could do a smidge of apple sauce or pumpkin if you want. And mix them carefully by hind to avoid gluten building up. My grandma taught me to let your pancake and waffle batter rest for at least 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk