Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Let's talk about how to clean. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527877)

kiloyd 12-17-2019 11:41 AM

Let's talk about how to clean.

What tools do you like to use to clean your white baseboards? Just a wet cloth?

What do you like to use to clean tile showers? What cleaner and what tool? I currently use one of those sponges with the green scrubber on one side with Softscrub spray cleanser. And I don't do it often, for some reason I hate cleaning tubs and showers. I wipe down the sinks and toilets with disinfecting wipes every other week or so or as needed but I put off the shower.

Virginia 12-17-2019 02:34 PM

Re: Let's talk about how to clean.

Subbing.

I try to avoid chemical cleaners. I use Young Living thrives cleaner for a lot of stuff. I also use Dawn and vinegar for a lot of scrubbing stuff like our bathtub and shower (adding baking soda if I need a little bit of abrasion).

But I am not great at cleaning :shifty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegMarch 12-17-2019 03:59 PM

Baseboards - baby wipes. A friend told me, and it is great.

Tub stuff - I squirt dish soap and splash vinegar into a dry tub, then scrub the heck out of it with a broom. Add a little water, scrub more, then rinse with the shower sprayer.

Soliloquy 12-17-2019 04:04 PM

Damp microfiber cleans so many things. That's what I use for almost all surfaces.

I use a scotch blue scrubber or a magic eraser for tubs and showers.

I make a dilute vinegar spray with EOs for a general cleaning spray that I use on almost everything.

I do buy Bar Keeper's Friend for really tough jobs and for hard water deposits.

I use a steam mop on the floors.

I use baby wipes for quick bathroom cleanup.

Maleldil's daughter 12-17-2019 05:56 PM

I always use baby wipes for cleaning painted surfaces like baseboards, door frames, and doors. I'm also a big fan of the vinegar-Dawn mix for showers - equal parts in a spray bottle, spray thickly and leave for an hour, then scrub and rinse thoroughly.
For shining sinks and faucets I sometimes mix baking soda and peroxide into a paste - use gloves. It's good for stove drip pans too.

kiloyd 12-17-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6198395)
Subbing.

I try to avoid chemical cleaners. I use Young Living thrives cleaner for a lot of stuff. I also use Dawn and vinegar for a lot of scrubbing stuff like our bathtub and shower (adding baking soda if I need a little bit of abrasion).

But I am not great at cleaning :shifty

I gave up on natural cleaner for tubs and showers. But use vinegar/water/essential oil for some things.

I'm not a great cleaner either. I do dishes and laundry most every day. I do dusting now and then, I don't like it. I don't like the nitty gritty cleaning.

I do like the Swiffer Duster though. Used that yesterday on the kitchen chandelier.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maleldil's daughter (Post 6198421)
I always use baby wipes for cleaning painted surfaces like baseboards, door frames, and doors. I'm also a big fan of the vinegar-Dawn mix for showers - equal parts in a spray bottle, spray thickly and leave for an hour, then scrub and rinse thoroughly.
For shining sinks and faucets I sometimes mix baking soda and peroxide into a paste - use gloves. It's good for stove drip pans too.

I do not miss having drip pans! Have glass top now.

Virginia 12-17-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiloyd (Post 6198423)
I gave up on natural cleaner for tubs and showers. But use vinegar/water/essential oil for some things.

I'm not a great cleaner either. I do dishes and laundry most every day. I do dusting now and then, I don't like it. I don't like the nitty gritty cleaning.

I do like the Swiffer Duster though. Used that yesterday on the kitchen chandelier.

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

I do not miss having drip pans! Have glass top now.

Because my daughter bathed in the tub, I am pretty adamant about not using chemicals in there. It’s easy to clean.

It’s my stand up shower with all the tile and grout I can’t get clean [emoji3525] Ugh. Maybe I do need to suck it up and use gross chemicals.

kiloyd 12-17-2019 06:48 PM

I keep disinfecting wipes in each bathroom and when needed I wipe off sink and toilet and maybe floor around toilet and baseboards too.

I love Fly Lady's saying "housework done incorrectly still blesses your home". :)

mummy2boys 12-17-2019 07:01 PM

I don't use commercial cleaners either. I use bicarb/vinegar/essential oils for everything.

I use microfibre cloths for dusting and use them damp to avoid spreading dust as I'm an asthmatic.

I use a combination of vinegar, lemon essential oil and clove oil to clean my shower. The commercial cleaners just "cover over" the mould/soap scum etc, that's why they keep coming back.

I do use some Dr Bronner's castile soap for more stubborn stains.

kiloyd 12-17-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginia (Post 6198425)
Because my daughter bathed in the tub, I am pretty adamant about not using chemicals in there. It’s easy to clean.

It’s my stand up shower with all the tile and grout I can’t get clean [emoji3525] Ugh. Maybe I do need to suck it up and use gross chemicals.

I hear you. I probably really only clean the tubs/showers maybe every 3 months, you know the deep down, scrub every corner cleaning. In my other house I was just sprinkling baking soda in my tub and scrubbing. When we moved out and I was really trying to clean it (fiber glass), I realized that the baking soda was not enough.

ECingMama 12-17-2019 09:54 PM

Clean My Space by Melissa Maker is a game changer

Earthmummy07 12-18-2019 03:11 AM

:up This!

ECingMama 12-18-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthmummy07 (Post 6198449)
:up This!

I’m glad you like it too!

I love how she tells you how long each chore takes. :)

knitlove 12-18-2019 11:34 AM

Ok is this a book or what?

Itsou da like something I need

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I found it at my library

ECingMama 12-18-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6198478)
Ok is this a book or what?

Itsou da like something I need

Yes. Book. YouTube channel too