Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=529)
-   -   Water? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=261593)

Dana Joy 07-14-2008 06:35 PM

Water?

What do you use as drinking water? I hate the feeling of excess of buying bottled water, esp since most of the world would kill for the clean water source we have. BUT I worry about what is in the tapwater too.

What do you use?

Mother of Sons 07-14-2008 06:37 PM

Re: Water?

I hate doing it but we buy aquafina. It tastes the best. There is a filter that you can buy at home depot that filters your own tap water on a water cooler and it works really well. I bought one, but it doesn't fit on the cooler I got so I'm back to aquafina for the time being.

HomeWithMyBabies 07-14-2008 06:41 PM

Our fridge has a simple filter in it, so I fill up my water bottle there. Our town doesn't add any fluoride, etc to the water but after we move I will be looking for a high quality filter for drinking and cooking.

Ali 07-14-2008 07:10 PM

I buy bottled for when we are going out of the house and I need to bring water along. When I am home, we have a Pur filter on the tap, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a reverse osmosis system under the sink - maybe some day!

deena 07-14-2008 07:15 PM

We use a water cooler and love it. We can buy refills at Home Depot for only 5.99 (for five gallons) and on weeks that we run out of money I just buy a few gallons of water at the store and refill it myself for $2. I try not to do that tooooo much though to keep it really clean.

BeasleyQ 07-14-2008 07:34 PM

We use this one
http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-45-detail.htm
I have considered buying the filter for the shower too - I've heard stories about how we absorb so many toxins through our skin and our lungs during a shower.... Maybe for Christmas....

Weezie 07-14-2008 07:42 PM

Currently we order from Culligan and have it delivered- raunchy well water here.
New house has municipal water, so we'll be good there! :rockon

cobluegirl 07-14-2008 07:53 PM

We have an RO on the sink....my only complaint is that it isn't big enough....we run out of water... AND the filters are really expensive... By the time we replace filters twice..(supposed to be every 6 months..we haven't made it that far) you have paid for the unit...

JellyBean 07-14-2008 08:00 PM

I have the aquasana filter. http://www.aquasanastore.com/ We also have the shower filters too.

tempus vernum 07-15-2008 05:50 AM

We have an water ionizer and try not to drink water anywhere -- we bring our own ;) It's alkaline water and supposed to be "the way God made water" to sum it up. We REALLY really REALLY love it. It was extremely expensive but I am happy to say it's helped Luke become alkaline (no other dietary changes) :tu and helped with a few other things. It sounds unbelieveable but I actually had detox symptoms when I first started drinking it :jawdrop

We have this one http://shop.snyderhealth.com/product...filter-upgrade ANd the snyderhealth guy is really nice :tu

tempus vernum 07-15-2008 05:53 AM

We also have a shower filter but I am pretty sure I want to get a new one because we are getting rid of our RO system and we bought the shower filter there thinking that was the easiest way but now I never buy anything from that website.

Yuliana 07-15-2008 05:54 AM

I drink tap water. I have done it since I was born and my kids too, so tap water for us.

cobluegirl 07-15-2008 07:53 AM

I want what sonshinemama has...

Living My Dream 07-15-2008 07:56 AM

how do you find out whats in your water?

Apple-Saucy 07-15-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lula
how do you find out whats in your water?

Your local township is supposed to periodically test the water. If you have a water processing plant you can call them too.

OR you can go to your local health department or hardware store and get a water testing kit

ShangriLewis 07-15-2008 08:06 AM

I use a Brita or Pur Filter. I think they are good for the money. I don't trust water companies/store filters at all :shifty

I'd love what Jodi has!!!

Living My Dream 07-15-2008 08:09 AM

Just been checking ou local water website and i get this about treatment. Im pret clueless what do you think?

Quote:

Treatment

With such a range of sources, there are also a wide variety of treatment processes in use with each plant designed to tackle the problems encountered or likely to be encountered from its sources. Water from our Mendip sources, including the reservoirs, is generally of a good original quality and requires less treatment than water from the Sharpness Canal, which is fed from the River Severn. Typically, Mendip water is treated with microstrainers, slow sand filtration and chlorination. Click here to see how we treat reservoir water.

Underground sources - boreholes, wells and springs, normally only need chlorination as they start out with the best original raw water quality of the lot.

To deal with the more complex problems encountered from our canal source we have built some of the most advanced treatment plants in the country at Littleton and Purton. Here more sophisticated methods like clarification and ozone disinfection, coupled with granular activated carbon filtration are used

Apple-Saucy 07-15-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Just been checking ou local water website and i get this about treatment. Im pret clueless what do you think?

Quote:

Treatment

With such a range of sources, there are also a wide variety of treatment processes in use with each plant designed to tackle the problems encountered or likely to be encountered from its sources. Water from our Mendip sources, including the reservoirs, is generally of a good original quality and requires less treatment than water from the Sharpness Canal, which is fed from the River Severn. Typically, Mendip water is treated with microstrainers, slow sand filtration and chlorination. Click here to see how we treat reservoir water.

Underground sources - boreholes, wells and springs, normally only need chlorination as they start out with the best original raw water quality of the lot.

To deal with the more complex problems encountered from our canal source we have built some of the most advanced treatment plants in the country at Littleton and Purton. Here more sophisticated methods like clarification and ozone disinfection, coupled with granular activated carbon filtration are used

the filter the water through a fine mesh screen then through sand to catch finer contaminants, and then hit it with some chlorine (same stuff in your pool) to kill microbes before pumping it out to the world.

Living My Dream 07-15-2008 08:15 AM

so i should be filtering?

Apple-Saucy 07-15-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

so i should be filtering?

Your water is already filtered.

Living My Dream 07-15-2008 08:18 AM

so im ok?

tempus vernum 07-15-2008 09:30 AM

Hmm. .. I would still filter but that's just me -- here is why .
Quote:

Typically, Mendip water is treated with microstrainers, slow sand filtration and chlorination.
Emphasis mine. And most municpal water has flouride added :td

Our tap water is filtered through Milwaukee and we live right next to one of the main water towers and actually have very good water -- about a decade ago Milwaukee had terrible crytosperidium and deaths related to it. S ince then, they've cleaned up the water significantly and actually have high quality water.

If we couldn't afford our current filter, I would use a cheap sediment filter that advertises chlorine and flouride removal. I won't do reverse osmosis again because it's ph is as acidic as sprite - we tested it . I saw on a website that RO was acidic so I couldn't wait to test it :shifty. Our tap water's ph was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than our reverse osmosis water. Our tap water was slightly above neutral (7.5). Our RO water was a 5 or 5.5. Can't test it to find out exactly as we disconnected it ;)

Just my :twocents I know every family is different and am not trying to tell people not to use reverse osmosis. :grouphug I am just being honest and sharing my journey :grin

I will admit that I was near broken hearted to know we were giving a cancer patient acidic water :bheart Especially almost the only thing we drink is water.

OUr water filter is now a higher priority than our food budget. I once read 3 most important thingsyou can do for your body
1. breathe right (abdomen)
2. drink GREAT water
3. sleep enough

Mama Calidad 07-15-2008 09:56 AM

We buy water in 5 gallon bottles. Our tap water is beyond what typical water filters are designed to treat. I'd actually like to filter the bottled water, because I'm not confident in it even, but I haven't found a really good filter that doesn't hook to the sink or water supply.

cobluegirl 07-15-2008 10:03 AM

that is interesting about the RO Jodi....

BeasleyQ 07-15-2008 11:43 AM

Also, read through this briefly
http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/uscities.asp
I haven't read everything on the site, and don't necessarily agree with the whole political slant, but it makes an interesting point:
The pipes that were laid for the water usage may be old (I read an article once about how the pipes were laid in the 60s and haven't been updated since).
So, even if the water tests clean at the main site, it may still be contaminated after it comes out of the tap.
That, and the fact that the water plants don't test for things like hormones (excreted in large amounts since the birth of the pill), and don't have any practical way to remove them, I choose RO.
I guess what would be best is RO with an alkaline attachment just before the faucet? :scratch

tempus vernum 07-15-2008 05:45 PM

RO w/an ionizer you mean? (that's what makes water alkaline or acidic ;) )

I was looking into this and RO removes the good stuff along with the bad. We decided against this because we concluded that the level of filtering the ionizer does makes RO unnecessary. We chose to eliminate our RO for that reason - we were originally considering leaving the RO but then you have to "add back in" the good stuff. . . . RO removes the good minerals along with the bad that naturally occur in water so if you really feel you want your RO, you can buy something to add to the water. We didn't go this way but there are "alkaline drops" to raise the PH of reverse osmosis. I think a quick google of "alkaline drops" would give you the product you look for.

Not sure I am explaining this correctly but I researched it really heavily so I understand the idea -- it was my original idea as well :)

Actually we still have our RO under the sink - it needs to be removed - I may resell it but I am not entirely comfortable selling something that I believe is unhealthy :hiding So we are taking a loss on something we spent quite a bit of money on only a few years ago :sigh Dh likes to mention it to me once in a while :giggle I am considering trying to sell it through our buying club but haven't really decided :think

cobluegirl 07-15-2008 07:30 PM

There is no way I can talk dh into the unit you now have..I wish I could..sounds cool. Would adding the drops to our RO water be beneficial at all?

hopeforchange 07-15-2008 07:41 PM

i really worry about the fluoride in our water...we were buying walmart brand spring water and hoping it was ok, but now we don't have any extra money for that. every time i fill dd's cup up, i worry though. and according to dr. mercola, most water filters don't remove the fluoride. also, since we're in an apartment, we can't get any kind of permanent water filter either. so i just worry about it in general.

sonshinemama, so you have any links about the acidic water? my m-i-l tries to make sure my f-i-l doesn't eat/drink acidic stuff b/c he has gout and b/c she knows that an acidic body leads to cancer, i'm sure she would be very interested in learning this!

tempus vernum 07-15-2008 07:57 PM

First, the ionizer is NOT permanent :no. We saved the box so we can take it with when we go to camp sunshine (we volunteer and attend camp and have gone 4 times in one 12 month period. It just screws on to the tap :)

There is a lot of value to adding drops to RO but it is more expensive than we could afford. I figured it out to be VERY costly for us - more than a filter :shrug

The truth about water
The science of water
The science of water - Distilled water and RO filtered water
why should I buy a water ionizer

About Ionized water - also lists all the "names" for alkaline water

Several of these are snyder health because I am most familiar with their website. If they want more info, let me know I have dozens of links :shifty I spent 6 months choosing this system so I have lots of info.

mummy2boys 07-15-2008 08:08 PM

We just use tap water here. I absolutely refuse to buy bottled water but thats me. ;) But would like a filter that I can attach to the tap at least. Thanks for all the links :smile

ThreeKids 07-15-2008 08:10 PM

Tap

Dh installs a filter at the refrigerator, but, since I've read the water report for my city and am pleased with it, I worry more about the filter collecting mold or something than I do about the water.

cobluegirl 07-15-2008 08:21 PM

go ahead and post the other links..think I will sticky this... good info

tempus vernum 07-15-2008 09:05 PM

:lol Here goes

how a water alkalizer works
why drink alkaline water
Bob's articles on health and water 5 good articles on ionized (alkaline) water
Alkalife booster drops - THE PRODUCT YOU WOULD USE IF YOU KEEP RO AND WANT TO RAISE THE PH OF IT
water ionizer info
12 articles on the science of water
the importance of water - lots of links below this info

tempus vernum 07-15-2008 09:13 PM

More. . . .

Microwater man's site - tons of links when you start looking around at "water ionizers" or microwater or alkalife drops
cheapest filter I could find but wasn't convinced on it - interesting site interesting articles too ;)
water for life
this link has lots of info and offers a free DVD on ionized water

tempus vernum 07-15-2008 09:19 PM

benefits of walter ionizers including uses for acidic water
why drink alkaline this site also has a great list of uses for acidic water

I am just now really realizing how my acidic water can be used. I think I am under using it because I don't understand it well enough :doh

BUT we use it quite a bit -- to wash produce, in beauty products including clay baths, in home recipes for cleaning products, etc.

DISCLAIMER - almost all above links have things I don't agree with. Many on dietary issues :) FOr me, I don't throw away the baby with the bathwater :)

Instead of posting all my links, I posted at least one link at each REALLY good site I have bookmarked. Most sites have TONS of info on this. And they are all fascinating. For me, I see the difference in myself - more energy for one :) and again I felt I was detoxing. That's good enough for me. It took us 6 months to bite the bullet (and we used our stimulus check :D ) but we are VERY pleased with it.

We got the Jupiter Microlite :) I researched, prayed, considered and that's what we chose for ourselves.

cobluegirl 07-16-2008 08:14 AM

looks good!!

cobluegirl 04-18-2010 01:37 PM

K Jodi...I just tested our tap water and our RO water. We naturally have high alkaline water.... Is it the same thing??

My tap says Total Alkalinity is 300 or high and my ph is 8.4

My RO says Total alkalinity is 80 and ph is 7.2

Herbwifemama 04-18-2010 02:05 PM

We drink filtered water, mostly to get rid of the chlorine taste. I'd LOVE to filter out fluoride too, but that'll have to wait til I can afford a Berkey.

I just watched this a couple weeks ago: http://storyofstuff.org/bottledwater/

tempus vernum 06-19-2010 06:12 AM

FYI - this has come to my attention $195 for a great water filter system that naturally alkalizes your water :tu

DH and I are fairly certain when our expensive ($1000) water machine dies that we will go to this -- I am actually pondering buying one when we have money to put to "emergency preparedness" because it doesn't use electricity

http://www.amazon.com/Santevia-Water.../dp/B0031ESX1A

cobluegirl 06-19-2010 06:16 AM

Thank you thank you. We don't have $$ right now but when we do..that is a much easier amount to come up with!

ps....Jodi did you see my post above?