Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   Charlotte Mason? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=288133)

Leslie 07-14-2010 10:23 PM

Re: handwriting vs penmenship vs copywork

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinoismommy (Post 3204510)
Where do you start your letters? At the top!

I think that's a good start. Maybe it's all you need to know!

CM used a book by Mrs. Bridges that evolved into what we know as Italics (Getty Dubay), so you could look at that. You could just look at where they start their letters and what the letters look like; you don't have to purchase the program for your child for every grade they're in school. You might even be able to see all you need online.

-----------------

Here's the book she used: A New Handwriting by Monica Bridges. The link has page images where you can see the handwriting samples that were in the book; it looks very much like italics.

Codi 07-15-2010 09:47 AM

Re: handwriting vs penmenship vs copywork

We have HWT and there are lots you can do with the manipulatives without actually "doing lessons."

Im not sure what CM suggests as far as a style of writing. I think any style (italics, not italics, etc) can be beautiful if they do it neatly. And I would guess that is all that matters.

joyful 05-22-2015 11:35 AM

Re: Charlotte Mason?

hello,
I can see this thread has been quiet for a while, but wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading the posts. We are 'unschoolers', but very influenced by Charlotte Mason (so lots of nature study, living books, etc).

I've got a 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter. Look forward to chatting :)

Hopetobe 05-22-2015 07:27 PM

:cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8tful1 05-23-2015 10:55 AM

Us also. We have a 4 year old and these are two educational "styles" we are currently drawn to. I have to admit, I have not done a lot of study on Charlotte Mason, but love the idea of living books and nature study. DS generally takes a topic and runs with it, so unschooling should be right up his alley.

jenny_islander 06-01-2015 08:00 PM

I started with CM and currently have a 5th/6th grader, a 2nd/3rd grader, and a K student. (I school year round, so exact grade levels are kind of arbitrary: when we finish with a course of study on one subject, we just start the next one.) CM cuts out a lot of pointless, annoying classwork, but requires more prep time for the teacher. You have to read ahead on everything because there is no checklist for a lesson, so you can't fake it.

Hannah Elise 06-02-2015 03:42 PM

:popcorn

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Tapatalk 2

jenny_islander 06-11-2015 07:57 PM

Some examples of Charlotte Mason curriculum:

https://www.amblesideonline.org/
I disagree with some of the textbook suggestions. <i>This Country of Ours</i> uses the word "savage" to describe my neighbors, for example, and some of the literary selections are not well written. I use about 90 percent of the booklists and schedules, though. Goes all the way to high school graduation.

http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/p/...urriculum.html
I haven't worked with this one much because it opens so many new tabs that my computer tends to freeze! Goes through Year 6.

http://materamabilis.org/ma/
From a Catholic perspective with booklist chosen accordingly. PK-8.

ECingMama 08-16-2015 03:51 PM

We are diving into full-time CM this year!

Those of you who have posted on this thread, are you still schooling CM style?

Codi 08-19-2015 12:03 AM

We are part of a CM focused homeschool group and while I incorporate many of her philosophies, I am not strictly CM at all.

The Tickle Momster 08-19-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codi (Post 5940027)
We are part of a CM focused homeschool group and while I incorporate many of her philosophies, I am not strictly CM at all.

We do the same. :)

Hopetobe 08-25-2015 01:45 PM

My kids are young (2yo & 4.5yo), so we are mostly unschooling now, but I am overall eclectic with a lot of CM. We are just starting out with a homeschool group, and they happen to be leaning CM, at least for the older kids, so it's good since I've liked CM for a while :)

I'm trying to make sure we incorporate more good literature into our day/week. We have tons of books, but I wouldn't call them all good quality. I would love to just buy all the books on a reading list, such as FIAR or BFIAR, but we are spending a lot this month already. I think I'll just look at some more book lists and check out what I can from the library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasmanian Saint 08-26-2015 02:16 AM

We are now fairly strictly CM. We've just finished an Australianised AO year 1 (both my older two combined).

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Tapatalk

ECingMama 08-26-2015 06:51 AM

I think strict fits us best as well.

rcsmom 08-26-2015 10:47 AM

We just started AO year 1 with my oldest and he loves it. I am pretty sure he doesn't even realize the reading are "school" since we already had a reading time each day :D