Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   I want to pull dd out- need cheap/free education fast! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=441298)

made4more 02-23-2012 09:19 AM

I want to pull dd out- need cheap/free education fast!

I requested access a long time ago to the hs forum but I guess I still can't get in.. I hope someone here can help!

title pretty much says it all. I don't know where to start, but I need to get her out of there asap.

Any suggestions? How do i start her out where she's leaving off, and how do I know where to finish? :O (mostly thinking math here)

The Tickle Momster 02-23-2012 09:33 AM

Re: I want to pull dd out- need cheap/free education fast!

Are you talking about your 10 yo? What are your reasons for wanting to pull her? Your answers will help us help you. :hug

mamacat 02-23-2012 09:39 AM

how old? you need to find out what the HSing requirements are in your state.In most cases tho they dont advertise,they want you to keep attendance and cover the usual subjects but that can look like a lot of things.you might want to consider taking some time to deschool and what learning way is going to work out best for you and your dc. I always recommend having a Learning Styles evaluation done by a homeschool evaluator.You can usually search for one in your area and find a list of HS evaluators and look for one that says exactly that.That will help you to know what curric or materials will work best for her. In the meantime you can print out math worksheets or she can do all kinds of learning games online and just read.You can go to clickschooling.com to sign up for the newsletter that has free online ideas every day and also funbrain.com has lots of learning games for all ages - she can do things like that for awhile.www.dadsworksheets.com has tons of math worksheets to print off.

tigerlily 02-23-2012 10:08 AM

You could look at learning pathways website. You register for free and then they have a full year's worth of options for math, science, language, etc. You pick out which lessons you want to focus on and it gives you all sorts of ideas for teaching/reinforcing the content frowm various internet sources. I have found that I have to add an "l" to the end of the html on the address to get some sites to load.

You can mix and match grade levels/lessons to customize fit. It might not be a total answer, but it be a sufficient start.

SilverMoon 02-23-2012 11:06 AM

To figure out what she needs to know you can search for 'scope and sequence' for her grade and check off what she knows.

brown eyed girl 02-23-2012 12:57 PM

1. Take a deep breath. Let it out slowly.

2. Kids are really really self motivated to learn on their own, and if totally left to themselves and given lots of resources will actually learn way more than any school would ever teach... and it would stick because the learning would happen in sweet spots rather than by rote/scope & sequence.

3. Keep doing whatever you have already been doing with the kids in school. Your life and routine don't have to change significantly. You've been teaching all along. After all, you did completely teach their first language.

My kids have found many resources for learning things, starting with PBSKids.org and Starfall, to Discovery Kids and National Geographic, How Things Work, Brain Pop, Khan Academy and Hippocampus.org

JustMandy 02-23-2012 01:10 PM

Subbing for the great resources posted here!

Radosny Matka 02-23-2012 01:49 PM

We just joined time4learning.com. My kids seem to really like it. :pray

Gowermom3 02-23-2012 03:07 PM

It will be ok. I had the same questions when I first started. It is best to just look up online search christian homeschooling free circulum. I found so much info that way and for the first year just pulled stuff off internet and printed coppies for them to use. Always look for coppies wit answers so you can follow along. I love www.clickschooling.com , www.superteacherworksheets.com ,
www.teacherscorner.net , www.mathgoodies.com,

This should help you get started. I had to go to the courthouse and register my boys for homeschooling so they have record that they are not in public school.

It is so easy once you get started and get all your work together.