Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   gauge question (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=400588)

fireweedmama 03-10-2011 07:36 AM

gauge question

My yarn and pattern both say a size 7 knitting needle should get me the gauge I need. I'm down to a size 4 needle and I "might" have the correct gauge. But now the swatch is kind of stiff. Is there a point where the needle and the yarn just aren't going to work together?

mipennsn 03-11-2011 09:58 AM

Re: gauge question

Sounds like you might have gotten your needle too small if the fabric is stiff. Do you know if you tend to be tight or loose knitter? Did you wash your swatch? Did you like how the fabric looked/felt on a bigger needle?

I very rarely swatch unless it is very size sensitive or may knit a portion then measure my swatch from the actual item. I found a link once on adjusting your pattern for the gauge you got. I can try to find it for you if you want.

The sweater I am working on right now, I changed needle sizes to make a fabric I liked, but the gauge was different, so I adjusted the number of stitches to adjust for my actual gauge. Hth

Kiara.I 03-11-2011 10:23 AM

Sometimes the fabric is supposed to be stiff, it depends on the final effect you want.

But...how are you measuring gauge?
Next question: are you using the correct thickness of yarn? Because it almost sounds like your yarn might be too thick for the patttern.

fireweedmama 03-11-2011 12:02 PM

The yarn I'm using is a worsted weight wool with the same recommended gauge as the pattern. I just can't get that with the recommended needle :shrug I do tend to be a tight knitter, or at least I was so I'm surprised I'm having this problem. Usually if I match the yarn and the pattern gauges I'm okay.

This is going to be a sweater for dd and the last thing I made for her ended up being about 4 inches too wide because either I didn't check the gauge or how I was knitting changed.

I did not wash as it's a hand wash dry flat yarn so I guess I assumed it wouldn't change much :think

ellies mom 03-14-2011 09:06 AM

What pattern are you making and what yarn is the pattern calling for?

How many stitches per inch (or over 4 inches) are you supposed to have?

If you are using worsted, could you go go down to a DK weight or even a sport weight?

fireweedmama 03-14-2011 09:20 AM

I found a gauge converter website and I think I can make it work. In fact it looks like I'll just need to follow the stitch directions for a size smaller and the length measurements by the larger size. Row gauge will still be off a little but most of those measurements are in inches rather than # of rows so I think it'll be okay.

I didn't want to switch yarns because it took me a couple weeks to figure out the yarn I wanted to use and then another couple to get to the store to get it. :giggle at that rate, it'd be July before I ever got it started.

mipennsn 03-14-2011 01:38 PM

That is what I am doing for W sweater. Stitch count for 1 size larger and following the length for the size I actually want.