Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   blogs or books on organizing small houses? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527192)

esperanza 05-30-2019 12:33 PM

blogs or books on organizing small houses?

Anyone have any suggestions on blogs or books about organizing small spaces? Reading about how you can set up your mudroom for all your backpacks and shoes is really unhelpful when you don't have a mudroom, you know? I need some visuals on how to get things under control and where to put everything here! And I need it from someone who actually lives in a small house. Not someone who has a whole dedicated playroom, multiple living areas, and a huge kitchen, thank you very much!

:shrug3 :scratch (from ds)

houseforjoy 05-30-2019 04:22 PM

Re: blogs or books on organizing small houses?

Okay the best book I can recommend first is "the clutter connection " she talks about the four clutter bug styles and knowing your own "style" makes figuring out how to organize so.much.easier. It has been super helpful for me.

knitlove 05-30-2019 04:57 PM

The not so big house books aren't telling you how to organize things but are genualy smaller than most us houses.

I don't have a specific place but when I have been going crazy in tiny spaces I looked at organization resources from Europe. There living spaces are so much smaller it helped me find things that would actually work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MrsHutch 05-30-2019 10:29 PM

I picked up The House That Cleans Itself a few years ago after it was recommended on here, and found it really helpful.

Mother of Sons 05-30-2019 11:40 PM

I don’t have any specific resources but I’ve found a lot of inspiration from googling “clever organization” I started rethinking spaces. Things don’t have to be used for their intended purpose. For example I realized we never hung coats in the closet so I turned it into my sewing area. I made good use of the wall space too since there wasn’t much floor space. Things that do double duty or useful too. Like storage ottomans and tv stands with drawers.

WanderingJuniper 05-31-2019 03:23 AM

I don’t have book suggestions but I second using vertical space! Wall space. Wall space. Wall space. There are lots of clever eye appealing ideas on Pinterest for this. The other super helpful thing has been intentionality with what is kept and how it is stored. We also use “secret spaces” like behind the fridge, behind the couch, under the sofa and the bench in the dining room, dual purpose furniture that both allows for seating and storage.

Aerynne 05-31-2019 06:12 AM

Have you looked at Ikeahackers?

You mentioned mudrooms- I don’t have one, either, so we made this on one wall of the living room behind the front door. Many years later and I still love it!

https://www.ikeahackers.net/2015/06/...y-lockers.html