Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Fleas (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525832)

Beauty4Ashes 07-31-2018 08:17 AM

Fleas

I can’t keep dealing with the fleas. Rosarita Chula gets bathed almost daily with Dawn dish soap. I gave her capstar a couple of times and a Program ampules of oral medicine. She goes a day or two without fleas and then they come back with a vengeance. Help????? I am treating my other cats. The kitten is indoors. I have not seen any fleas in my home. I posted an adorable video of the kitten playing with Nick and dh pointed out that you can see fleas crawling on her. I want to cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virginia 07-31-2018 08:53 AM

Re: Fleas

Fleas are absolutely awful. I'm so sorry. If she's an indoor cat, and she has fleas, there are very likely flea eggs in your house (especially in carpet or rugs) :hugheart We had an indoor cat who got fleas growing up, and we had to take drastic steps to rid the house of them :( It's time consuming and stressful. It really stinks.

I'm not super familiar with Capstar, but it looks like it only kills the adult fleas that are on your cat, thus disrupting their life cycle and giving another product time to start working-- does that sound accurate?

Is she getting combed daily?
Have you treated your upholstery and rugs with anything?
Vacuuming and then emptying the canisters into plastic bags and taking them outside immediately?
Is using Advantage an option?

mamacat 07-31-2018 10:15 AM

We have tried evey.thing.natural and flea meds with our dogs and nothing helps but wiping coats down with vinegar water and frequent flea combing. The meds can help break the cycle if they are confined to a yard with no other animals but squirrels abound out here so they carry fleas in :(

Beauty4Ashes 07-31-2018 10:37 AM

I think that she may still be too young for Advantage. Capstar kills adults and Program kills eggs and larvae. I have been using vinegar to clean the floors (hard floors), paying special attention to the baseboards and corners. We have leather couches, I will try cleaning those with vinegar as well. My friend suggested salt on the carpets.

Maedchen 07-31-2018 11:16 AM

We put DE food grade on our floors/carpets over night and then vaccumed when we were infested. (If you aren't careful it will clog your air filters and ruin your vacuum.) You can lightly dust your kitty with the DE and it will act as a wormer. (DE was the only thing that helped us clean up the problem.) You can also get one of those sticky papered lint rollers at the $ store and run it over her and the other cats...........you might be able to catch a few fleas this way. Make sure to take all of the dust you vacuum or lint roll out of the house or it just keeps the cycle going.

mamacat 07-31-2018 11:23 AM

Do you flea comb?

Beauty4Ashes 07-31-2018 03:48 PM

Should I use the metal bristled one or the small plastic one?

Beauty4Ashes 08-06-2018 10:41 AM

The metal flea comb works so much better than the plastic one. I discovered something that I was doing incorrectly when bathing her. I should be leaving the soap on her longer.

charla 08-06-2018 10:55 AM

What broke the cycle for us was treating the cat with Advantage II, DE and borax on carpet and upholstery, and daily vacuuming of furniture, carpet and wherever the cat spent lots of time lying (while having fleas he mostly chose hard surfaces and they were full of flea eggs:sick). It was a tough time and so much work. So many hugs. :hugheart

Beauty4Ashes 08-06-2018 06:32 PM

I bathed 4 cats today and let the flea shampoo sit on them for 10 minutes before rinsing. I washed the cloths that are on chairs where my kitties tend to sit and vacuumed. Fingers crossed.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

What do flea eggs look like? I am very familiar with flea dust.

charla 08-06-2018 08:27 PM

I think the eggs are the salt looking part of the telltale salt and pepper looking stuff fleas leave. But don't quote me on that. :shifty

Beauty4Ashes 08-07-2018 10:04 AM

Shudder. How do I tell the difference between flea eggs and sand? Off to google. At any rate, Rosarita Chula only had a couple of fleas on her, instead of dozens of them this morning. I am not in the clear yet, but it was encouraging to not see an infestation of them on her.

Beauty4Ashes 08-07-2018 02:30 PM

I combed 2 of my cats and didn’t find too much on them as far as flea dust goes. Crossing my fingers.

charla 08-07-2018 03:50 PM

I hope you are through the worst of it. :pray4

Beauty4Ashes 08-07-2018 03:52 PM

Me too.