Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Quinoa Recipes (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=446138)

charla 04-14-2012 11:15 AM

Quinoa Recipes

I just bought some quinoa for the time and I'd love to hear your most yummy, delicious recipes for it.

mamacat 04-14-2012 11:43 AM

Re: Quinoa Recipes

One of our favs is to cook the quinoa and cool and make like a cold salad with your fav pasta salad type ingredients like ours are artichoke hearts,black olives, chunks of provolone cheese,cherry tomatos, and then use either a bottled Italian type dressing or a homemade oil & vinegar type dressing

Dovenoir 04-14-2012 12:02 PM

:cup

Stiina 04-14-2012 12:54 PM

:coffee

bananacake 04-14-2012 01:03 PM

http://gentlechristianmothers.com/co...ghlight=quinoa

LilacPhoenix 04-14-2012 02:13 PM

:cup I bought some a few months ago but don't know what to do with it!

blessedmamaofmany 04-14-2012 02:35 PM

:popcorn

Allison 04-14-2012 02:37 PM

I cook it in homemade chicken stock and eat it plain. I also love goat cheese crumbled on top. It's good with olives in it. Sauteed onions. Shredded chicken.

sweetpeas 04-14-2012 03:50 PM

I use it most often as a quick salad or pilaf. Cook quinoa (often in vegetable broth), toss it with raw/cold stuff (carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans/garbanzos, cheese, olives . . .), add some lemon juice, herbs & olive oil = salad. If I saute onions, celery, and whatever else I grab, and toss it with the hot quinoa = pilaf. Great quick meal that also uses up odds & ends of ingredients :)

blessedmamaofmany 04-14-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeas (Post 4574909)
I use it most often as a quick salad or pilaf. Cook quinoa (often in vegetable broth), toss it with raw/cold stuff (carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans/garbanzos, cheese, olives . . .), add some lemon juice, herbs & olive oil = salad. If I saute onions, celery, and whatever else I grab, and toss it with the hot quinoa = pilaf. Great quick meal that also uses up odds & ends of ingredients :)

That sounds awesome.

I did make some quinoa once into a pizza cassarole. No wheat here, so I used the cooked quinoa in place of noodles. Some tomato sauce, cheese, pepperoni and olives. It was pretty darn good.

RealLifeMama 04-14-2012 05:51 PM

Our favorite quinoa recipe is Quinoa Chili with Red Beans. It is from Cynthia Lair's Feeding the Whole Family. I have yet to find anyone, vegetarian or not, that does not like it. It is so good. Even my super picky 5 year old eats it and says it is his very favorite chili.

Another really good one is on here somewhere. It is a salad with quinoa and corn. I will see if I can find it.

Tee 04-14-2012 06:02 PM

Quinoa Burgers! My hubby, who really doesn't like Quinoa, loved these. They turned out exactly like the picture and stuck together amazingly. I cooked the Quinoa with beef flavoring. I also sauteed some mushrooms and onions to go on top of them...along with the sour cream of course. You could eat them with ketchup too ;)

november 04-14-2012 06:51 PM

This is my favorite, it is sooooo good. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/

marigold 04-14-2012 07:41 PM

I use it as a filler in meat products as my MIL is a celiac and breadcrumbs are out. I have tried a few other things with it. Here is a great quinoa website that I found. I'm slowly trying things out:
http://www.cookingquinoa.net/
I also just recently bought some quinoa seeds online and am very excited about planting them if spring ever shows up around here.

Lady Grey 04-14-2012 08:09 PM

My SIL just made a yummy quinoa salad today - it had apples, arugula, smoked gouda and dried cranberries - I will post here when she sends me the recipe.

One of my favorite ways to eat it is cooked plain, then mixed with baked winter squash (acorn is my fav) or sweet potato, topped with a little fresh parmesan, salt and fresh pepper. mmmmm