Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Sometimes I feel like I am missing something (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=346232)

SortaCrunchy 02-15-2010 01:02 PM

Sometimes I feel like I am missing something

Perhaps it's because I travel in such crunchy circles online, but I really don't think we have any food allergies in our family. :shrug3

I read so much about dairy intolerance and grain intolerance and all manner of food issues, and I feel like, I don't know, maybe I'm a total dummy or something. We all have regular intestinal workings, no eczema, no out of control behavior issues . . . what am I missing? Are there other symptoms of food allergies I should be looking for? We are pretty mainstream in our eating - mostly whole foods.

Is it possible to have an allergy-free family, or am I, in my ignorance, not serving my family faithfully in this area? :blush

Living My Dream 02-15-2010 01:04 PM

Re: Sometimes I feel like I am missing something

i sometimes wonder this about us too. I thin kit is possible to have an allergy free family and you're lucky if you do. its not something that you need to beat yourself up about. im sure others will chime in with things you can be looking for to put your mind at rest if it helps.

:hug

relizabeth 02-15-2010 01:05 PM

We haven't tested but I'm nearly positive neither ds nor I have any food allergies/intolerances. I'm also suspicious dh has issues with gluten or wheat or something--because his two siblings do, and because his symptoms seem to indicate that.

MomtoJGJ 02-15-2010 01:06 PM

It's completely possible to be allergy free! A lot of the reason, I feel, you run into so many people with allergies in their family in natural circles is that a lot of them FIND the natural/crunchy circles in searching for ways to deal with allergies!

relizabeth 02-15-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomtoJGJ (Post 2902171)
It's completely possible to be allergy free! A lot of the reason, I feel, you run into so many people with allergies in their family in natural circles is that a lot of them FIND the natural/crunchy circles in searching for ways to deal with allergies!

:yes

SortaCrunchy 02-15-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

I meant to say that in my OP! I think that is very true. Good, good point. :tu

Living My Dream 02-15-2010 01:13 PM

I think as well, crunchy places are more willing to care and help as apposed to judge and think you're being silly

mountainash 02-15-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Yes! :yes This was my experience.

If there are allergies, you'll know something is not right even if you don't immediately think "this seems allergy related".

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

amyhntr2 02-15-2010 05:56 PM

I have wondered the exact same thing before! Thanks for posting this!

TestifyToLove 02-15-2010 07:17 PM

Household of 10....

one child has 2 bizarre allergies, Zithromax and carraway seeds. Both cause hives, basic, classic allergies.

The only other allergies in this family is ME. I'm a perfect example of why less is best. I'm allergic to have the antibiotics known to man, several other medications used for other issues and 3 years ago I finally started wracking up food allergies. Of course, I tend to just stop breathing with my allergies versus behavioral issues.

I'm so very, terribly grateful that the kids have almost no allergies, only the one child, only 2 allergies and the food allergy is not significant nor common. I'm a mess. So, I figure I balance how easy they are with my issues.

Its taught me to be super concious of my friends battling food allergies because until 3 years ago there were NO food allergies in our house and I truly didn't get it.