Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Berkey (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=511508)

JoyGal 01-30-2015 08:18 PM

Berkey

I'm thinking of getting a Berkey water free finally :cheer

I'm looking at the Big Berkey. How often do you need to change the filters? Does it use one filter at a time? Is water left on the counter for 2-3 days still safe to drink or is that taken care of in the filtration system?

Which Berkey do you have and are you happy with that one?

Tia! :heart

sweetpeasmommy 01-30-2015 08:29 PM

Re: Berkey

Ours is one of the smaller ones. Your filters are good for 5-10 years and need cleaned once a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tazmom 01-30-2015 11:22 PM

I have the Light. I like being able to see when it needs refilling.

We use it for the dogs, cooking, indoor plants, and drink a ton of water. I refill it about twice a day. I haven't replaced my black filters yet and we've had it 3 years. I have the fluoride filters also and those need to be replaced every year.

mummy2boys 01-31-2015 12:24 AM

I don't know the brand (being an Australian :wink) but I assume you are talking about a house water filter? We are looking into getting one of those in the next year.

greengirl19 01-31-2015 06:08 AM

We have the one that's a little less than 3 gallons. We've had it about 18 months and have not changed the filter yet. Cleaned it maybe 2-3 times, it needs to be cleaned again I think. I refill it every other day in the winter, every day in the summer.

MrsHutch 01-31-2015 06:54 AM

We have the Royal Berkey. I should probably clean the filters. I should probably look up how to clean the filters.

For our family of 6 using it for drinking water, a perpetual crockpot of chicken broth, making kombucha, and a decent amount of coffee, it's adequate, but I have to remember to refill it twice a day, which means it sometimes runs dry.

If you get the flouride filters, they need to be replaced every 6 months to a year, depending on how often you fill it.

Dandelion 01-31-2015 07:09 AM

We have the second to largest size. For the longest time we didn't have enough water and we would run out every night at dinner no matter how many times I refilled it throughout the day. Finally I convinced dh to try scrubbing the filters and now it works great. So just remember to scrub your filters when the flow slows down!

ReedleBeetle 01-31-2015 08:16 AM

We have the light. We LOVE it! Everyone loves our water. My parents and sister both bought theirs because of ours. :) My parents have the....Big one? I think?

MrsHutch 01-31-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandelion (Post 5876067)
We have the second to largest size. For the longest time we didn't have enough water and we would run out every night at dinner no matter how many times I refilled it throughout the day. Finally I convinced dh to try scrubbing the filters and now it works great. So just remember to scrub your filters when the flow slows down!

How do you scrub yours?

JoyGal 01-31-2015 01:22 PM

Thank you everyone, this is all very helpful :)

Dandelion 01-31-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

How do you scrub yours?
Dh just used a clean scotch brite type pad. It took him about 10 minutes and solved a problem that had been going on 6 months or more:doh

Soliloquy 01-31-2015 04:53 PM

I have the BIGGEST one. Well, not the one recommended for orhpangages but the second one down. I am so glad I have the big one. First, it's not plastic. Second, I fill it nightly. We use that much water. Drinking water, tea, cooking rice, making broth or other soups, we almost empty the whole thing every day. I think we have 2 filters. You can have one or lots. The more filters you have the faster it fills the lower tank.

You're supposed to clean it once a week (it's very fast) but I probably two mine twice a month. I've been using it this way for 2.5 years without problem.

The Berkey also alkalizes water naturally. The first house we lived in (the on you visited :heart) had very rusty, acidic water. The pH of the water was 5! After running it through the Berkey it was rust-free, delicious, and with a pH of 7.5

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

ETA I have the Royal Berkey.

Dandelion 02-01-2015 12:00 PM

I think we have the Imperial Berkey. We only use 2 filters.

ShangriLewis 02-02-2015 02:44 PM

Where do you guys keep it? We don't have enough counter space and our counters are high and our cabinets are low:-/

I worry about it getting tipped over. My husband hates the water here and has been buying bottled water. It is just so wasteful to me and I could put that money towards a Berkey instead.

ReedleBeetle 02-02-2015 02:55 PM

When we first got it, I used a small table that the top was about 15x15 and was about the height of an end table. Maybe just a tad higher. I think it was for plants or something. I bought it for $5 at the thrift store. It was functional, but not exactly what we would like to have had. I considered painting.

When my MIL was moving in, she was going to get rid of a table that was the same height, but a bit bigger with a drawer and a shelf under/in it. It has enough room to also keep a pitcher for filling it up. It sits on that in the corner of the dining room. I can reach it to fill glasses without getting up during dinner. :O :lol The table is caddy-corner to decrease the chances of it getting knocked over.

At my mom's, she has an alcove next to the fridge just big enough for a microwave cart. She has hers on that, right next to the fridge.

Oh, I forgot that until we got the first little table it was on the end of the island. I didn't like that *at all*. Always afraid it would get knocked over and it took up a lot of space. It was also really high for refilling.