Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   I think I need to unschool PJ (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523414)

NovelMama 07-27-2017 06:24 PM

I think I need to unschool PJ

This totally came out of nowhere, but it hit me like 2x4 the other day that she unschools herself all day, every day, when we're not doing "real school." So why in the world do I keep getting in her way with curriculum?! Haven't talked to DH about it yet, but I'm feeling *very* strongly that we need to give unschooling a shot. The more I think about it the more appealing it becomes for personal reasons, too, like having an excuse to craft again.

If we do then we'll have both ends of the homeschooling spectrum covered: unschooling for one and a hybrid/university model/barely-can-call-it-homeschooling for the other. :haha

For those of you who moved into unschooling from more structured forms of homeschooling, how did you explain to your DC what it was going to be like and how it was going to work? Did you ease in or did you just go whole-hog?

Here are the two things I'm most concerned about:

1. PJ's dyslexia. I know DH will not be cool with us not doing any reading practice at all with her, and frankly, at this point I'm not either. Anyone else deal with issues like this in their unschooling? Do you do direct instruction on them or no?

2. Because "those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it," I feel strongly about teaching history. Anyone else do direct instruction for one particular subject just because you feel strongly about covering it?

Barefoot 07-27-2017 06:52 PM

Re: I think I need to unschool PJ

I unschooling and while it is child led that doesn't mean I am not involved.
I provide opportunities to learn, so I'll begin watching a documentary and he might or might not watch with me.
I'll ask if he wants me to read to him, then I'll suggest he read the next paragraph because it has something funny in it (or other similar excuse)
When he gets a bit older I will have him read the state required curriculum and have him suggest what he'd like to do to cover it. (Because he does need to learn that so times external people require something from you).

I do direct instruction, but generally verbally unless he asks for more info. And generally when a learning opportunity presents itself. (We were walking through the botanic gardens and saw a spider on top of the water, we spoke about surface tension for example)

In your case I'd ease in. Pick the subjects she learns herself the best and start with those, then ask her how she would like to proceed with the other subjects.

DS is not a natural learner in English/literacy so I began taking him out to lunch once a week with a poetry book and we each read s poem before our lunch comes out. It was directed by me rather than him, but he has embraced it and it's our little ritual now.

ValiantJoy07 07-28-2017 05:46 AM

We do a mix of unschooling and structured homeschooling depending in the time of year.

For History we will be using the Sonlight book list, but my oldest is a big reader. My almost 8yo isn't a strong reader and we will be enjoying books together or utilizing audio books.

Plan to be Flexible by Alicia... Her last name evades..it is on amazon. is an amazing book for how to unschool while still meeting goals, a way to be delight driven but learn to see progress. It has been my happy medium, we don't full on unschool (after age 7/8) but i really try to tailor their education individually. For learning challenges we see certain things, I wouldn't necessarily do with another kid, as physical therapy and as necessarily as being sure muscles are being balanced after a bad injury. We have seen a lot of good stuff from Diane Craft's Brain Integration Therapy, my 8year old requested to continue some of the exercises this year because she finds them so helpful.

mamacat 07-28-2017 06:15 AM

Unschooling to me mostly means child led interests but does not mean child does nothing or you dont participate in setting up learning. As far as reading goes would use audio books and have an enjoyable chapter book you can read together each day taking turns. Sounds like you dont need a preamble - she is already doing it! You might say since she has kind of found how she learns best you want to continue doing more of those types of things

tempus vernum 08-02-2017 07:14 AM

I wrote a very long reply I lost. The shorter version :hiding

We went from unschooling to structured unschooling to regimented and now consider ourselves "self directed learners

Since my D.C. Were over 9 I explained what delight driven meant and loved this book to help them wrap their brains around it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH0PDDY...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

We read it together and really enjoyed it. One per day when we needed inspiration

I have a learning challenged child who uses curriculum for English :yes and there are subjects I require :yes but they also have plenty of time for being free to pursue their interests. I'd be happy to give more concrete examples. My dc are 11.5, 15.5, and 17.

I explain what the state requires and offer suggestions. I do require things. It's a growing changing situation :yes for example, last year dd1 hanged curriculum 4 times .

Soliloquy 08-02-2017 07:16 AM

I highly, highly recommend the book, "Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves" by Alison McKee. It's out of print, I believe, but it's pretty cheap on Amazon. BBL.