Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Bulletproof Coffee (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=509420)

RealLifeMama 10-26-2014 02:50 PM

Bulletproof Coffee

Do you drink Bulletproof Coffee?
I have been wanting to try the coffee that everyone raves about with the grass fed butter and coconut oil added.
What kind of coffee do you use? I know there is an actual brand that makes coffee called "Bulletproof" but is it good with just whatever brand I want to use?
Is that all you eat/drink in the morning when you drink it?

MudPies 10-26-2014 02:56 PM

Re: Bulletproof Coffee

Subbing. And does it really have to be grass fed butter bc that is not in our budget right now.

LilacPhoenix 10-26-2014 02:58 PM

:cup

:shifty

:giggle

Subbing;)

ValiantJoy07 10-26-2014 03:24 PM

I have been drinking my coffee bullet proof since some time in 2012 I think and I can't get enough. I don't get headaches or crash and it is soooo yummy. I do it with 1T raw virgin coconut oil and 1tsp grade B maple syrup. :yum I whip it in my bullet blender for 10 seconds. So so good. It mAde me able to swallow going dairy free, I just couldn't fathom giving up my milk in my coffee...I don't miss it, now the thought actually kind of grosses me out. :O

Dovenoir 10-26-2014 06:28 PM

How many ounces of coffee?

mamajane 10-26-2014 06:47 PM

I might try it someday. It's funny to think that my main deterrent is the thought of having to clean a blender every morning.

sweetpeas 10-26-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudPies (Post 5842143)
Subbing. And does it really have to be grass fed butter bc that is not in our budget right now.

My understanding is that it's coconut oil OR grass fed butter, not both, so if coconut oil's in the budget go with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamajane (Post 5842217)
I might try it someday. It's funny to think that my main deterrent is the thought of having to clean a blender every morning.

Me too!!! Though I just ordered and immersion blender (had one, it broke, as we go into winter some of our favorite soups are blended and I NEED an immersion blender!) so MAYBE if it works to just use that, right in the mug, and then add the coffee to it, I can handle rinsing off the immersion blender every morning. . . we use raw milk, so I consider the milk I add to my coffee to be healthy too but I'd like to get more coconut oil into my diet, so I keep meaning to try it . . .

MudPies 10-26-2014 07:01 PM

So I just add coconut oil to the coffee and blend it? How much? It is good or just supposed to be healthier:shifty

RealLifeMama 10-26-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeas (Post 5842225)
My understanding is that it's coconut oil OR grass fed butter, not both, so if coconut oil's in the budget go with that.

That is not my understanding. The grassfed butter provides the saturated fat and the Coconut the medium chain triglycerides. They are different.

L-Boogie 10-26-2014 07:53 PM

:cup :shifty. I make a latte every morning with grass fed milk but i love all things coffee :love

graciousmomma 10-26-2014 09:23 PM

I add coconut oil and a small amount of raw honey to mine. I don't want to mess with the whole blender thing, so I just stir mine in really well.

rjy9343 10-28-2014 09:54 AM

I just put the oil and butter in my coffee and stir it in like you would cream or sugar, the heat from my coffee melts it and I feel great. If I had to use the blender pre coffee for me and pre breakfast for Ivy, it would never happen. I also am not spending the money on special coffee for this, I have a brand I like and am not shelling out for his.
Just for full disclosure, I can't remember to put both the oil and butter in when I make it, nor can I remember to do more than cream half the time. But when I remember, it is everything they say and then some.
You can also do it in your tea if you drink tea and holy cow is it good.

Glitterfish 10-28-2014 10:33 AM

I do the large sized cup on the Keurig, then pour that into the blender w/ 2 tbs grass fed butter, 1 tbs coconut oil, a tsp of sugar and a tsp of honey. Sometimes a dash of vanilla. And blend.

Grass fed butter really isn't in our budget right now either (although they do sell it at our super Walmart now! :shifty) but I just use it for my coffee. So it stretches longer.

And I just rinse my blender when I'm done instead of washing it, since I'm just using it for the coffee right now anyway. I wash it every few times.

I don't like coffee unless it's bulletproof. It's so creamy and delicious!

rjy9343 10-28-2014 11:24 AM

I also forgot to mention that if I have money for grass fed butter, then that is what I use and if I don't have it, I don't use it.
I have honestly decided a lot of these people that write about what you must eat have no concept of things like budgets for families in terms of both time and money. Just do the best you can with what you have. It is better to do some than none.

RealLifeMama 10-28-2014 11:26 AM

I really like creamy coffee, and really dislike sweet coffee. When I was dairy free, before I heard about this or using coconut oil, everyone would suggest almond milk or so delicious creamers, and I hated them because there was no creaminess, only weaked, sweetened coffee. I started using coconut milk (from a can, not the refrigerated kind) and that was creamy, but too coconutty in flavor. I really dislike any flavor in my coffee, unless it is a mocha latte or something.

Do you all eat breakfast, or is this your breakfast?
My breakfast is where I get my nutrients, but I am thinking maybe skipping breakfast and having the coffee, then my smoothie at lunch since I almost never eat lunch.