Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Anyone have a good falafel recipe??? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=287265)

Joyful Melissa 01-05-2009 07:43 PM

Anyone have a good falafel recipe???

I love love love falafels! My favorite Middle Eastern restaurant makes the best. We just ordered from them tonight. I think I could eat falafels everyday and not tire of them. Unfortunatly, for our family of 6)actually 5 because DS won't eat anything from there), it costs us about $120 and that is with us each ordering one meal and then 2 appetizers to share!!! Atleast 2 DDs and I end up having enough for lunch the next day! We usually just order from them every few months because of the expense. Luckily, we were given a gift certificate from my brother & his wife since they know of my love for this restaurant. Anyways...I have a good hummus recipe, so now all I need is a good falafel recipe :yes
Can anyone help me out??? I have googled some and found one that I think I will try but I would prefer trying one that someone from here recommends?

HummusDip 01-05-2009 07:55 PM

Re: Anyone have a good falafel recipe???

I haven't tried this particular recipe, but it was up in my other browser so I thought I'd share it. I have tried several of this gal's recipes and all have been nothing short of fantastic, so I would give this one a try if it appeals to you. :)

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

cheri 01-05-2009 08:03 PM

I buy a box of falafel dry mix, or buy it in bulk at whole foods. I fry it in oil and it's almost as tasty as what I can get from a restaurant.

I know that's not a recipe, but it is easy and still a lot cheaper than a restaurant

Katigre 01-05-2009 08:04 PM

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008...el-recipe.html

:P~ :P~ :P~

Joyful Melissa 01-07-2009 10:10 AM

Thanks ladies!
I guess it can't hurt to try both recipes! :P
I never realized you could buy falafel mix, I have never seen it in the HF store. Maybe because I n ever thought to look for a mix. I will look for them and give them a try too. Easy & quick is good sometimes.

Beauty4Ashes 01-07-2009 10:16 AM

Do you own a meat grinder or the ultimate chopper? Dh is Syrian and makes it for us. He soaks 1-2 c of chickpeas and 1-2 c of split pealed fava beans over night. He grinds the chickpeas and the fava beans 2-3x. He adds half a bunch of fresh parsley, 1/2 c of corriander seeds, 3 cloves of garlic, salt/pepper/all spice to taste, 1-2 eggs and just before he is ready to make the falafel, he adds 1/4 tsp. baking powder to a small batch. He makes enough falafel mix for several meals and bags them individually. I *think* that's everything that he adds to his falafel.

April G 01-07-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheri
I buy a box of falafel dry mix, or buy it in bulk at whole foods. I fry it in oil and it's almost as tasty as what I can get from a restaurant.

I know that's not a recipe, but it is easy and still a lot cheaper than a restaurant

:yes You can also bake them, but they aren't QUITE as tasty... :yum

Joyful Melissa 01-09-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Do you own a meat grinder or the ultimate chopper? Dh is Syrian and makes it for us. He soaks 1-2 c of chickpeas and 1-2 c of split pealed fava beans over night. He grinds the chickpeas and the fava beans 2-3x. He adds half a bunch of fresh parsley, 1/2 c of corriander seeds, 3 cloves of garlic, salt/pepper/all spice to taste, 1-2 eggs and just before he is ready to make the falafel, he adds 1/4 tsp. baking powder to a small batch. He makes enough falafel mix for several meals and bags them individually. I *think* that's everything that he adds to his falafel.
I have heard the ones with fava beans are tastier. Thank you for the recipe :yes

Quote:

You can also bake them, but they aren't QUITE as tasty...
I planned on trying to bake them, atleast once in awhile because I am trying to watch the fried foods.