Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafts *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   what set of needles to knit magic loop? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=508955)

believer 10-05-2014 05:51 PM

what set of needles to knit magic loop?

ok, I want to knit magic loop, but the cheap set of circular needles I have, the longest cable is about 22 inches. So, I want to buy a good set of circular needles. What do you recommend?

JoyfulMom 10-06-2014 07:25 AM

Re: what set of needles to knit magic loop?

It depends on what you're knitting. I like knit picks nickel plated for anything above a three. For socks, I use chiagoo lace 32" circs. Hope that helps.

DahliaRW 10-06-2014 09:03 AM

It doesn't have to be top of the line, you just want a flexible cable that is long. I have the knit picks interchangeable needle set and have easily knit smaller circumference things using magic loop with the 32" cable.

Wonder Woman 10-06-2014 09:49 AM

For smaller items (a hat, baby socks, etc) I use these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13Set-Durabl...item54070e303f

For socks done 2-at-a-time, I'm all about ChiaoGoo Lace, 40".

I don't know if the stainless steel is nickel-free in those, but I have a...not really an allergy, but a weird reaction to nickel. My skin eats it :giggle So all the lovely, lovely nickel-plated needles I had (I used to have almost every size Addi Turbo, a KP interchangeable set, KP fixed) ended up being sold or traded.

It was either that, or deal with the nickel coating constantly rubbing off! :doh I'm fine with the stainless steel ones :tu

mipennsn 10-06-2014 09:56 AM

Hands down my favorite cables for magic loop are knit picks.

I tried the ones that Reb linked, but I had issues with ladders with them. I still use them.

I tend to use short cables to magic loop, and might only have one area that is pulled out the magic loop (that is actually the way that makes the most sense to my mil).

Wonder Woman 10-06-2014 10:02 AM

Autum - I definitely have problems with ladders on larger projects - if there isn't room for a good loop on both sides, I have to switch to 40" to avoid them :yes

allisonintx 10-06-2014 10:41 AM

ChiaGoo. They're hands down the best needles I've ever used. I was a knit-picks girl, before, but the ChiaGoo are faster and nicer. Oh wait, do I remember that you like needles with a little more "grab" so that the yarn doesn't slip as easily? If that's the case, the little yarn store over at Coit and Arapaho has the Knitpicks wooden interchangables right in the store! They are the best wooden interchangables, imo. It's yarn crawl week in Dallas so they might even be having a sale! :yes :tu

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

In absence of a 40" cable, I go to Two Circs, instead.

believer 10-06-2014 06:58 PM

Well, the chiagoo look way to expensive for me. I will try to go to that yarn store on Wed. - I only work a half day so I should be able to get there in the afternoon. What is yarn crawl week?
I don't really know if I can do socks and things with tiny needles - it feels like knitting with toothpicks to me, but I do want to do hats and fingerless gloves - maybe even actual gloves if I can handle that.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

I am getting two cheap sets from e-bay - they are well within my price range, and I may go to the yarn store just to look if I have a chance.

DahliaRW 10-06-2014 07:06 PM

It really does depend on what you're knitting as to what size needles you need. With worsted weight yarn (which tends to be what I knit most hats and mittens with, though you certainly can knit them with any size yarn) you'll most likely need 7-9 needles (us size), of course whatever to get correct gauge with the pattern you are working with.

If you can save up and afford a set of interchangeable needles, they really are economical in the long run. My knit picks set was around $50 (I have the nickel plated), and has sizes 4-11 (including 10.5) and 2 each of 24" and 32" cables. I can buy other cables and such to go with them too (longer or shorter). And you can knit flat on circulars too.

Smaller needles do take a bit to get used to, but it's not bad once you try it. :)

ShangriLewis 10-10-2014 05:47 PM

I am really happy with my knitpicks.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I really like my worsted weight socks. My boots are almost 2 sizes too big in the winter because I often double my socks. But, this year I think I will just do worsted socks. They knit up much faster. Apparently, Scandinavian knitters often wear bigger boots and knit worsted socks for winter.

allisonintx 10-10-2014 07:14 PM

They are famous for their stranded colorwork socks, which are also very thick.