Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Breakfast *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=543)
-   -   refrigerator oatmeal (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=473258)

milkmommy 02-04-2013 10:13 AM

refrigerator oatmeal

Anyone else do this? Its been A HUGE hit with my girls they are loving creating their own flavors and they are eatting it up unlike the hot version that they just poke at and ignore.

Deanna

Earthmummy07 02-04-2013 10:20 AM

Re: refrigerator oatmeal

I haven't heard of this. Tell me more :nosy :shifty

milkmommy 02-04-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthmummy07 (Post 5123991)
I haven't heard of this. Tell me more :nosy :shifty

its basically soaking rolled oats (not the instant but not steal oats eaither) in a yogurt/milk mixture over night

basic recipe makes a one cup serving

1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or flavored I have vanillia right now)
1/3 cup milk
flavor mix ins of choice
sweetener of choice

combine ingredients in covered container I just use a small tuperware type refrigrate overnight in the AM the oats will have soaked up the liquid and be creamy and very yummy! You can just grab it and eat.

Some flavors we like
apple cinnamon above but add apple sauce (I jsut use a organic snack size container) and cinnamon I sweeten with a litle raw honey

peanutbutter and bannana 1 TS PB one sliced bannana 1 ts honey added

berries and maple 1/4 cup fresh or frozen berries any kind or mixture
2sih tsps (my girls liek it a little sweeter than I do) maple syrup

I haven't personally tried it but according to some research THe above can be done with milk alternitives such as Almond milk soy milk cocnut milk ect as well as alternitve yogurts Soy ect you jsut might need to play around with the rations a bit.
These can also be warmed if one desires but were loving it cold.

StewardofLOs 02-04-2013 10:39 AM

this sounds awesome! and easy enough for my DH to serve in the morning after I've gone to work ;)

BearyBlessed 02-04-2013 11:35 AM

I think I'm gonna need to try that!

gerberadaisy 02-04-2013 11:52 AM

I have some recipes pinned on pinterest & keep wanting to try it but for some reason I'm afraid it'll ICK me out. I just looked at it again this week & think the next grocery trip I just might buy some greek yogurt (don't really care for it though) & try.

here are some pins for it.

milkmommy 02-04-2013 12:03 PM

I'm normally not a Greet yogurt fan eaither but I love this..
I was going to add this site for ideas http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal which is refered to in the PIN above.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

this morning for me was some berry flavored greek yogurt (snagged one form my kid) with some sliced strawberries a little honey and some chopped walnuts (well crumbled into pieces by my hand) It was sooo yummy!

cbmk4 02-04-2013 12:28 PM

Can't wait to try this. I already have chia seeds and the old fashioned oats. Just happened to buy plain Greek yogurt today.

milkmommy 02-04-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbmk4 (Post 5124224)
Can't wait to try this. I already have chia seeds and the old fashioned oats. Just happened to buy plain Greek yogurt today.

I havent tried it with the Chia seeds yet as I haven't seen any locally yet.

Momma2Luke 02-04-2013 02:24 PM

YES!! We love vegan overnight oats!! I first learned of them from the Oh She Glows blog.... and oh man does she have tons of yummy recipes for them!!! I eat VOO at least once or twice a week!

There is also another blog called the Oatmeal Artist that also features tons of Overnight Oats recipes (in addition to hot oatmeal)...

teamommy 02-04-2013 02:40 PM

We love it here. We use plant milk, or sometimes a spoonful of vegan yogurt. There are endless variations. It's the original muesli.

Oh, and it's also our favorite pancake recipe. Take the soaked oats and fruit, add a little more milk or water and maybe a TBS of flax (or and egg), and cook.

milkmommy 02-05-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamommy (Post 5124507)
We love it here. We use plant milk, or sometimes a spoonful of vegan yogurt. There are endless variations. It's the original muesli.

Oh, and it's also our favorite pancake recipe. Take the soaked oats and fruit, add a little more milk or water and maybe a TBS of flax (or and egg), and cook.

ohh I'll have to try that that! :rockon

Daria_Aleksandrovna 02-05-2013 01:05 PM

Oooh this stuff is addictive. I've been eating buckets of this....

Momma2Luke 02-05-2013 06:48 PM

I'm making a pumpkin chocolate version for tomorrow morning by adding chocolate sprouted rice protein powder, canned pumpkin, cinnamon, a spoonful of mini chocolate chips... can't wait for breaky!

Now, I have a question... as a Sally Fallon/Weston Price fan, I'm so used to soaking oats in whey... I supposed we can add some whey to our recipes, right? :scratch

milkmommy 02-05-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momma2Luke (Post 5127193)
I'm making a pumpkin chocolate version for tomorrow morning by adding chocolate sprouted rice protein powder, canned pumpkin, cinnamon, a spoonful of mini chocolate chips... can't wait for breaky!

Now, I have a question... as a Sally Fallon/Weston Price fan, I'm so used to soaking oats in whey... I supposed we can add some whey to our recipes, right? :scratch

I don't see why not.. I'd assume you could even subsitute the yogurt for the Whey.