Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Breakfast *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=543)
-   -   There's got to be a better way to make pancakes (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=431339)

Blue-EyedLady 11-24-2011 08:49 AM

There's got to be a better way to make pancakes

Than standing over the stove for 2 hours!

Any ideas to make pancakes in the oven?

Little Forest 11-24-2011 08:52 AM

Re: There's got to be a better way to make pancakes

How many are cooking for? If you have extra fry pans to use it goes much faster.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mother of Sons 11-24-2011 08:58 AM

A hotel we stayed at had a conveyer belt machine that made them. Iys easier if you have a griddle but it is still a pain.

Little Forest 11-24-2011 09:00 AM

There are recipes for oven pancakes. The ones I have seen are large and cut into wedges to serve.
Posted via Mobile Device

BriansLovie 11-24-2011 09:40 AM

I dont know any recipes to make individual pancakes, but there are recipes out there for skillet pancakes. I use an electric griddle that I can make 6 to 8 panckaes at a time, so it's not too time consuming for me.

Marzipan 11-24-2011 09:48 AM

Yes, a griddle cuts the time down considerably.

Apple-Saucy 11-24-2011 09:50 AM

Get thee a griddle. I can do 8 pancakes at a time. That gets the kids started (3 for B 3 for M 1 for each of the girls) 8 more fills out the girls (they usually eat 1 more each) and then DH. It really helps to make a pan of scrambled eggs or something to tide the whiners over. :giggle

mellymommy 11-24-2011 09:51 AM

I have an oversized griddle that cuts down the time considerably. I usually make a double batch but with the big electric griddle I am done in 20-30 min start to finish.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Quiteria 11-24-2011 10:14 AM

wow...I wold love a griddle like that...we have the same issue...takes forever one pancake at a time in our tiny frying pan.

blessedwithboys 11-24-2011 10:23 AM

We have a griddle - much faster. There are always great deals on them for black Friday.

Blue-EyedLady 11-24-2011 12:44 PM

I have a double-burner griddle. I can make 6-8 pancakes at a time, and it still takes 2 hours. DS1 eats 3-6 pancakes, I eat, ummm... 10 or 15. :O (They come out kind of thin - if I make them any thicker, they are gummy in the middle. :yuck) DH eats his own breakfast, as he's not a fan of GF cooking. I make a huge batch of them to have leftovers for another day or sometimes 2 days. But I'm sure once DS2 starts eating solids, it won't be enough anymore.

We're egg-free, so no scrambled eggs or anything on the side. I have to make enough pancakes to fill us up. And even then, we're still hungry 2 hours later. :doh

I tried a recipe for one of those giant oven pancakes, but it asked for a lot of eggs, and so it didn't really come out well using egg replacers. DS1 refused to touch it, so I ate it. The whole thing. At one sitting. And was hungry 2 hours later. :bag

BriansLovie 11-24-2011 01:11 PM

Can you make some sausage or bacon with your pancakes? I know that just pancakes alone does not last long for us either :no Is your oven gas or electric?

heartofjoy 11-24-2011 02:01 PM

We eat our pancakes with peanut butter or vanilla yogurt to fill us up better. Can you do something like that?

What about biscuits instead of pancakes? You can cover them with butter, jam, honey, or syrup just like pancakes. A regular biscuit recipe doesn't call for any eggs, you can make tons at a time without standing at the stove, and if you do a drop biscuit, there's no kneading or rolling out.

Apple-Saucy 11-24-2011 07:04 PM

Yep then you'll need to fill up with some sort of protein :yes I vote bacon :yum :giggle

mamaKristin 11-24-2011 07:49 PM

Even better than bacon WITH pancakes? Bacon IN pancakes! Pre-cook it in the oven (wiht a drizzle of real maple syrup if you've got it :yum), dice it, and add to the batter as you pour it on to the pan.

AMAZING.