Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   "Tricks" for reluctant readers (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=510492)

Prism 12-14-2014 12:16 AM

"Tricks" for reluctant readers

Have you found anything fun to get your reluctant reader, reading?

Here are some of mine...

1. Make them read their video games. They read a line, you read a line.
2. Put strips of paper into a bag/box with directions... "Go outside, and ring the door bell three times." "Go to the bathroom and kiss the mirror." "Find a doll, braid its hair." "Close your eyes, try to find mom." My daughter goes nuts for this stuff.
3. Make puppets and have them hold up words to read. :shifty This works until she wants to start making the story line more intricate and forgets about the words. :giggle
4. Using pattern blocks, have them fill in a "puzzle" with words written on it. Can't put the piece down if the word isn't read.
5. Lots of time on teach your monster to read. :rockon

And I just thought of a new one. I want her to start reading more actual books. So I think I am going to have her make a reading necklace. She LOVES to bead. So every book she reads, I will let her pick a bead to string on. I'm just going to get a cheap mix. But she'll love it. I'll let you know how that one goes. Can't start until January 1rst.

Anyone else?

Love_Is_Patient 12-14-2014 12:41 AM

Re: "Tricks" for reluctant readers

I've done 'shared reading' with books they enjoy--they read the first paragraph, then I finish the page (or the chapter), working up to alternating paragraphs or pages (depending on their interest/stamina).

For awhile ds wanted a new comic every time we went to the grocery store (when he was younger I used these to keep him occupied while I shopped). As he got older I told him that in order to get a comic he had to have read a certain number of books in the week before we went.

Treasure hunts where they find clues; reading each one leads them to the next one (with something fun at the end).

For younger readers, making my own 'Bob book' types stories with words they can decode but about something familiar--their friends or stuffed animals.

mamacat 12-14-2014 05:55 AM

ME reading chapter books they look forward to to THEM! Book strewing simple,non-wordy, books of topics of interest that they pick up to look at pictures

Firebird Rising 07-14-2015 02:02 PM

Great ideas!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mom23sons 07-14-2015 02:13 PM

Treasure hunt.
I still read to the boys a lot even after they could read. Get lots of books esp on things she likes and of a wide variety. My youngest wasn't interested in the same books as his brothers were so it took time to find his like. But once I did he read more than played!

mamacat 07-14-2015 03:34 PM

My dd used to like to "play school" with me somtimes and she would ask me to read something or the next lesson when we were working thru 100 Easy book and I would puposely read words incorrectly and then he would correct me :shifty

ValiantJoy07 07-14-2015 03:40 PM

I'm really trying to get my 7.5yo reading a little better. We made a "Family Summer Reading Club" paper with 24 squares...Every time we finish a book (whether it is a read aloud chapter book or one of the kids finishes reading a book to us) we put the title in the square and a sticker.

This has helped a LOT every one working together to finish the chart. When we do we are either buying a new lego set or having and ice cream (nondairy ;) ) party we haven't decided yet.

We're also doing the summer reading program at the library and for every 5 books they read (they also go towards the family reading club chart) they get to pick a prize from the library. :rockon

We've been working at it pretty consistently for the last month and I am seeing some small improvements in reading skills in both of my elementary aged kids. :rockon

sprout 07-14-2015 07:57 PM

I adore the reading book/ bead idea! I love, love, love it! What a neat treasure to have earned!

....so gonna do that one!