Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Instant pot! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=517412)

Lady Grey 01-16-2016 07:25 PM

Re: Instant pot!

I'm going to have to start saving bones for broth. It sounds so good! (I don't think I've made my own broth since my 5 year old was born lol)

ECingMama 01-16-2016 07:42 PM

My instant pot now has a chicken carcass in it and my fridge is almost empty and ready to be cleaned.

Looks like you can make brownies in it. Just need five in or 7 in metal pans!

Soliloquy 01-16-2016 09:17 PM

The soup was great! I think it would've been done in less than 15 minutes, probably 12.

tempus vernum 01-16-2016 09:25 PM

:popcorn

AngelaVA 01-17-2016 11:39 AM

I really want one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knitlove 01-17-2016 02:19 PM

Does it have difrent levels of prusher?

I am trying to convert the edd recipie to use in my stove top cooker

Michele123 01-17-2016 08:22 PM

Ok. I'm really intrigued. Is there a difference between brands and types? Or are they all pretty much the same? Which ones do you all have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

esperanza 01-17-2016 08:30 PM

I don't have the link handy, but best bites food blog just had an intro to pressure cookers post and will be doing more recipes. They mentioned some good brands.

ECingMama 01-17-2016 08:37 PM

Instant pot is the brand. Several of us bought the one that is $118 on Amazon right now.

I made soup tonight.

3 min to prep. Cut potatoes, etc. Used last night's broth. Frozen shredded chicken. Frozen. Veggies. Took 20 min to come up to temp/pressure. I set it for 15 min. Took 5 min to quick release steam!!

Good enough soup. We had just come home from skiing. It was nice that dinner took me 3 minutes. I could ignore it the other 35-40 minutes. I stretched to an exercise DVD while it cooked.:rockon My husband unloaded the car. My kids played.

This particular one wasn't that *instant* though. Frozen items on a soup takes longer. Good reminder. :)

Soliloquy 01-17-2016 09:21 PM

Tonight I cooked some bone-in chicken breasts from frozen just to have handy for easy protein this week.

1 c hot water
3 frozen bone-in chicken breasts

Poultry setting for 25 minutes.

Took 10 minutes to come up to pressure. Cooked very nicely and there was a good amount of beautifully clear broth as a bonus.

When roasts are next on sale I'm going to try a pot roast recipe I saw at hip pressure cooking.

This is the one most of us have:
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP...ds=Instant+pot

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 5980986)
Does it have difrent levels of prusher?

I am trying to convert the edd recipie to use in my stove top cooker

It has different settings and a manual setting but you don't select a numerical pressure like on a traditional pressure cooker. It's a next-generation, fuzzy logic machine. But I think the recipes are mostly interchangeable with a little experience.

heartofjoy 01-18-2016 09:05 AM

I'm intrigued. I'm curious about the size. Can you do little and big amounts? Or is it like a crockpot where you have to fill it over halfway?

Lady Grey 01-18-2016 09:17 AM

So I made a whole chicken last night. Is there supposed to be a lot of steam coming out while it's cooking? The lid and the valve were definitely closed, but there was a lot of steam and I ended up with a pool of water on my counter. :-/

It was tasty, but I think doing the bone-in chicken breasts might be easier. (I hate the mess of whole chickens) Those are on sale right now too so I will pick some up later today.

The Tickle Momster 01-18-2016 09:58 AM

I'm intrigued. I'm curious about heartofjoy's question too. I'm also wondering how easy is it to clean?

ECingMama 01-18-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 5981218)
So I made a whole chicken last night. Is there supposed to be a lot of steam coming out while it's cooking? The lid and the valve were definitely closed, but there was a lot of steam and I ended up with a pool of water on my counter. :-/

It was tasty, but I think doing the bone-in chicken breasts might be easier. (I hate the mess of whole chickens) Those are on sale right now too so I will pick some up later today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 5981226)
I'm intrigued. I'm curious about heartofjoy's question too. I'm also wondering how easy is it to clean?

It's very easy to clean. I took all the parts off and cleaned the gasket and seal too.

I'm surprised about the water. Do you have the plastic thing hanging off the side to collect water?

Dandelion 01-18-2016 11:29 AM

I have been stalking this thread and kind of drooling over the idea of Instant Pot. But I just got a new Crockpot for Christmas so there was no way I could justify an Instant Pot.

Well, what just came in the mail from my sister? Instant Pot! I am so excited to try it:)

backtobasicsmum 01-18-2016 12:00 PM

http://www.foodandsunshine.com/lazy-...ant-pot-broth/

I'm doing beef bone broth following the instructions in the above link.

ctab 01-18-2016 12:12 PM

I didn't have any water leakage when I made the whole chicken. Did you fill it beyond the max fill line?

november 01-18-2016 01:21 PM

I got an Instant Pot for Christmas and I am too nervous to use it ! What is my problem?!!? Lol! I feel so intimidated by this contraption! Going to start reading this thread from the start and see if I can muster up some courage to give it a whirl lol

ECingMama 01-18-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by november (Post 5981339)
I got an Instant Pot for Christmas and I am too nervous to use it ! What is my problem?!!? Lol! I feel so intimidated by this contraption! Going to start reading this thread from the start and see if I can muster up some courage to give it a whirl lol

I was afraid of mine too. The pieces that came with it freaked me out. Lol.

I made bourbon chicken in my instant pot today. I used apple cider vinegar instead of Bourbon. It called for apple juice but I sauted apples instead and that was great!

Recipe book is Great Good Fast by Bob Warden.

Lady Grey 01-18-2016 02:25 PM

Oops - I did not have the little cup attached on the back. :doh

I am definitely another who is pretty intimidated by the IP. It will be time to do another batch of eggs soon - at least I have that one figured out lol.

Soliloquy 01-18-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by november (Post 5981339)

Do the initial run from the instruction book with just water. Page 17.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 5981212)
I'm intrigued. I'm curious about the size. Can you do little and big amounts? Or is it like a crockpot where you have to fill it over halfway?

You don't have to fill it a certain amount.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Mommypotamus just posted this about the Instant Pot vs a traditional pressure cooker.

Quote:

Anyway, the lid to my pressure cooker just so happened to break when the 7-in-1 Instant Pot was on sale, so I decided to give it a whirl. Oh. My. Goodness. I didn’t realize how much I was babysitting my old pressure cooker until I pressed a few buttons on my Instant Pot and walked away for an hour.
http://www.mommypotamus.com/instant-...whole-chicken/

This link has her recipe for a roast chicken in the IP. She writes that the skin isn't soggy like in the slow cooker (I really hate that about slow cookers) but not as crispy as the oven.

ctab 01-21-2016 05:08 AM

Search for instant pot community on Facebook. It is a huge and very active group on Facebook. Thy have lots of good ideas.

backtobasicsmum 01-21-2016 07:15 AM

Yesterday I cooked just brown rice to go with our dinner. It was so nice to just set it, and walk away!

ECingMama 01-21-2016 07:16 AM

I micro defrosted a meal for three minutes and then put the ice chunks into the pot. 12 minutes later!!! Yum!

ctab 01-22-2016 04:45 AM

I had the best pressure cooker ribs!

I used spareribs from Costco. I made a rack in a half, and cut the full rack in half and the final half rack in two to fit it in the pot.

I put 1/2 cup cider vinegar, and 1 1/2 apple Juice in the bottom. Then I placed the trivet it, and stood the ribs up on the trivet. Since they were still a tad frozen I cooked them 25 minute on the meat setting.

Pulled the out, sauced them, and broiled them a few minutes on eat side. Amazing!

Dandelion 01-22-2016 11:06 AM

So far I have made refried beans, two batches of chicken broth, and right now I am making some broccoli soup. I am loving it:rockon. The only negatives I can come up with so far are the size of the pot - I had to do two batches of beans to make what I would normally make in one on the stove or in the crockpot, and then the smell of the sealing ring - I am wondering if I make something like oatmeal if it will taste/smell like chicken broth:think

HuggaBuggaMommy 01-22-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandelion (Post 5982808)
and then the smell of the sealing ring - I am wondering if I make something like oatmeal if it will taste/smell like chicken broth:think

It will. You need at least two rings, one for "sweet" or things like oatmeal (less flavor), and one for savory/high flavor meals. There are plenty of people reporting cheesecakes that taste like pulled pork on the FB page. :hunh

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dandelion (Post 5982808)
The only negatives I can come up with so far are the size of the pot - I had to do two batches of beans to make what I would normally make in one on the stove or in the crockpot,:think

You must have a huge Crockpot! My Instant Pot is twice the size of my slow cooker - which I only used to make refried beans because I never liked how anything else cooked in it.

I've made refried beans, minestrone soup, several Indian curries, Jasmine rice, Mexican rice, and a pot roast so far. I like it much better than the Crockpot, but it's not my "go to" yet.

Soliloquy 01-22-2016 05:37 PM

This is the best ever for bone broth! For my second batch I used a lot more frozen bones, a tea kettle of boiling water, and filled the rest with room temp water. I filled it almost to the max fill line this time.

2 hours on manual produces a better broth than I would get in 36 hours on the stove. And my stove isn't unavailable for a day and a half.

I've been washing my sealing ring with a Scotch Brite scrubbie and so far it's not holding odor. But I haven't tried anything like bbq yet.

ECingMama 01-22-2016 05:46 PM

My sealing ring stinks already, despite daily washing.

And, I forgot to put the ring back in yesterday!!! Food was boiling before I noticed!

lmgeenw 01-22-2016 07:24 PM

I've never heard of this, but I'm convinced I need one! ;) I'm adding it to my Christmas list for next year.

Lady Grey 01-22-2016 08:27 PM

Sigh. I made broth yesterday, using the link someone posted earlier in the thread, and it is so pale that it's white and no gel. :scratch I've had crockpot broth turn out lovely so who knows.

I'm kind of accepting the fact that the IP has a big learning curve for me.

ECingMama 01-22-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 5982982)
Sigh. I made broth yesterday, using the link someone posted earlier in the thread, and it is so pale that it's white and no gel. :scratch I've had crockpot broth turn out lovely so who knows.

I prefer my crock pot broth too.

Soliloquy 01-23-2016 12:18 PM

:( I'm sorry your broth didn't turn out. I wonder why.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Grey (Post 5982982)

Did you use the soup setting or manual?

Lady Grey 01-23-2016 01:16 PM

Manual setting.

backtobasicsmum 01-23-2016 01:33 PM

An auntie bought an instant pot after my rave reviews on Facebook and then recommended meatloaf! I have to look for a recipe and it may go on my meal plan for next week.

HuggaBuggaMommy 02-04-2016 05:50 PM

Okay, coming back to this. I'm just not feeling the Instant Pot love. I like it, and better than the slow cooker, but :shrug maybe it's me? I just don't have interest in making the things folks seem to rave about.

Soliloquy 02-05-2016 10:37 AM

Soup? Beans? We're going to have split pea soup tomorrow.

I used it to make rice the other day and it was perfect. It was so nice not to have to babysit rice. (I have the world's worst cooktop and rice and oatmeal often burn.)

Dandelion 02-05-2016 10:50 AM

I have used it for oatmeal numerous times and loved it. I made a spaghetti squash the other day - super easy and fast. http://www.youseasonwithlove.com/rec...e-instant-pot/

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Also, I am retracting my previous comment about it being smaller than my other pots. I did a refried beans for a second time and I was able to fit the same amount as I normally do in my crockpot. The first time I was being more conservative because I was afraid of over filling it and having a big mess but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

ECingMama 02-05-2016 11:25 AM

I really love it for steaming veggies. I've been using mine 2-3 times a day. :rockon

Llee 07-12-2016 05:33 AM

FYI, for amazon prime members, the Instant Pot is $69.99 right now during their deals day.