Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Meals in August.... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=530331)

mummy2boys 08-02-2022 10:00 PM

Meals in August....

New thread :)

Tonight we are having a beef stir fry with veggies and rice

MaybeGracie 08-02-2022 11:31 PM

Re: Meals in August....

Tonight we had spaghetti.

Tomorrow is BLT salad.

knitlove 08-03-2022 05:21 AM

I am just now realizing on the last day of our 3 week trip that I have no plans for dinner weighting for us when we get home exsausted. This was not good planing. I am hoping I have some macaroni or something in the pantry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Laurlor 08-03-2022 06:30 AM

Last night we had blacked fish tacos. They were just ok....normally I love fish tacos but I don't think I used the best fish or tortillas.

The Tickle Momster 08-03-2022 09:30 AM

Last night was gf/df hamburger stroganoff over rice.

Tonight will be chicken something, maybe cashew chicken or pistachio chicken salad.

ViolaMum 08-03-2022 10:05 AM

It's hot here again, so we're having cropckpot Cilantro-Lime Chicken.

We also have an enormous amount of zucchini ('tis the season!) so it will probably be served over zucchini noodles. Another veggie TBD. Perhaps just crudite?

knitlove 08-03-2022 09:20 PM

Well we got home and had absolutely nothing - I guess I I can be happy that I did a good job of clearing out the fridge before we left for three weeks. So we got take out and the family ate it in the car while I ran in to the store to get food for breakfast and lunch tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

milkmommy 08-07-2022 02:11 PM

Tonight we are having curried chickpeas and
Veggies with coconut milk over rice.

twoplustwo 08-15-2022 08:15 AM

Really struggling with doing more than the easy and/or usual BUT last night I made the quinoa tabbouleh (oh look, 2 chances for misspelling with quinoa and tabbouleh!) from that link from last month about other salad options.

I followed the recipe and I felt it was too minty. Also, both dc complained it had too many tomatoes. Dh liked it. I had it for lunch again today and it was even more minty.

But I think Im going to get another tabbouleh recipe and make it with quinoa again. Dh says he will get his moms and Ill just adjust that.

On the plus side the recipe called for soaking the chopped red onions and wow! so much better! I can't believe I didn't know about doing that until this day of my life!

ANd. . . I eat lunch with an admin bc we have lunch at the same time and I dont like to go allll the way to the teachers lounge so I can stay close to the clinic in case of ?s or an emergency . . . anyway, HE never heard of soaking the red onions until this weekend when a guy at the boy scout camp out did it. He said thats 2 times now and he is going to try it bc it agrees its better. Anyone else not know about this super great step? Just me? And admin guy?

Another new technique I used last night was roasting the corn in the oven instead of boiling it on the stove. Everyone either preferred stove top or said no preference to the corn. . . but its nice to have another option in case all the burners are being used (I have a burner out but just living with 3 due to cheapness). A friend I rode my bike with yesterday says the microwave method is the best. I may try that too and see. You just wrap them in wet paper towels. So feel free to chime in on the corn on the cob debate too!

For the rest of the week I have NOTHING planned and both dc have practices after school every day thru Thur. . . . So wish me luck.

charla 08-15-2022 10:02 AM

I just planned two weeks' worth of menus. I've never done that before. :phew Now to make the grocery list and order the groceries.

heartofjoy 08-15-2022 10:05 AM

I made a big birthday dinner Saturday that should last us through today or maybe tomorrow if I add more meat.

Dh made smoked brisket and sausage The brisket was the best he's done in ages. Better than the best Texas bbq joint. It was amazing.

I made sides and dessert. All homemade. Mac and cheese, coleslaw, creamed corn, potato salad, potatoes with peppers and cheese, beans, and roasted asparagus.

Banana pudding and stawberry shortcake for dessert.

It was all amazing.

charla 08-15-2022 03:54 PM

Up tonight is something I'm making up as I go - Penne alfredo with Italian sausage, tomatoes, artichokes, and capers and maybe some lemon, trying to decide on a good flavor combination using what I have on hand. :think

ViolaMum 08-15-2022 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplustwo (Post 6273662)
Really struggling with doing more than the easy and/or usual BUT last night I made the quinoa tabbouleh (oh look, 2 chances for misspelling with quinoa and tabbouleh!) from that link from last month about other salad options.

I followed the recipe and I felt it was too minty. Also, both dc complained it had too many tomatoes. Dh liked it. I had it for lunch again today and it was even more minty.

But I think Im going to get another tabbouleh recipe and make it with quinoa again. Dh says he will get his moms and Ill just adjust that.

On the plus side the recipe called for soaking the chopped red onions and wow! so much better! I can't believe I didn't know about doing that until this day of my life!

ANd. . . I eat lunch with an admin bc we have lunch at the same time and I dont like to go allll the way to the teachers lounge so I can stay close to the clinic in case of ?s or an emergency . . . anyway, HE never heard of soaking the red onions until this weekend when a guy at the boy scout camp out did it. He said thats 2 times now and he is going to try it bc it agrees its better. Anyone else not know about this super great step? Just me? And admin guy?

Another new technique I used last night was roasting the corn in the oven instead of boiling it on the stove. Everyone either preferred stove top or said no preference to the corn. . . but its nice to have another option in case all the burners are being used (I have a burner out but just living with 3 due to cheapness). A friend I rode my bike with yesterday says the microwave method is the best. I may try that too and see. You just wrap them in wet paper towels. So feel free to chime in on the corn on the cob debate too!

For the rest of the week I have NOTHING planned and both dc have practices after school every day thru Thur. . . . So wish me luck.

My dh just will NOT eat and any savory/sweet combination. He considers mint sweet, ("Mint is for dessert or toothpaste.") so I just leave it out of tabbouleh. (He won't even at it with lamb. But lemon is okay, so I sometimes make lamb with preserved lemons. Go figure.)

And I totally agree with you on the onions. The difference is HUGE! It rocked my world when I discovered that particular technique.

DH is making pizza for dinner tonight. :heart

The Tickle Momster 08-15-2022 08:02 PM

I made quinoa and lentil salad for dinner tonight. I’m mixed about it. It was good and I like having a low budget healthy meal.

Tomorrow my dd and her dh are coming over for dinner. Planning French Dip. Not sure how many pounds of roast I need. :think there will be 7 total for dinner all 14+.

What does soaking the onions do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViolaMum 08-15-2022 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6273689)

What does soaking the onions do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gets rid of that astringent bite.