Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Am I The Only One Afraid of Snappis? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=441668)

chelsea 02-27-2012 11:02 PM

Am I The Only One Afraid of Snappis?

Terrified. I'm serious. Ds is almost a year old and has been cloth diapered from the beginning. I've used prefolds fairly often from the time he was born. But never with a Snappi. Snappis terrify me, having those metal claws near my baby's delicate little body make me queasy. So I always just fold the prefold and then make the cover snug so it doesn't move around too much. It seems to work... well, most of the time. It would be nice to have a way to make them always stay put, but I just can't bring myself to using Snappis! Has anyone ever had any accidents with one of them? Are my fears justified, or should I just go ahead and try them out? I really want to get some contours, but to me they seem almost more difficult to use without a Snappi than prefolds are. Am I being ridiculous?

ReedleBeetle 02-27-2012 11:07 PM

Re: Am I The Only One Afraid of Snappis?

Nope....I refused to use a Snappi for the longest time. I finally did use it and the second time I put it on, it came loose somehow and was clawing the inside of his leg. I never used it again. I hate them. :lol I used safety diaper pins.

Chaos Coordinator 02-27-2012 11:12 PM

They're plastic

I don't like them. I agree they look scary. But I am also terrified of the book The Cat in the Hat and the kids show booh bahs. So I'm not a good source for whether or not there is valid reason to be afraid of something. :D

Rabbit 02-27-2012 11:15 PM

I used them for years. We had a few scratches, but they're just scratches, and I learned better how to get them to really grip, and which diapers not to use them. And they are just plastic.

tazmom 02-27-2012 11:35 PM

I've used them for years and I've had one time when the bottom part got caught on something and snapped back into my dd's leg. She had 4 little scabs for a little while, but I didn't stop using them. I did start being a little more careful. ;)

cindergretta 02-27-2012 11:50 PM

Snappis don't bother me. I was more worried about the pins popping open and poking into my baby. (Way back when ds17 was born, I didn't know about Snappis and all the fancy dipes and covers. I used prefolds and pins and plastic pants. And those pins popped open every once in a great while, but they still freaked me out. :shifty I went through the same thing with my 2nd baby. By my 3rd, I learned all about the wonders of all the cool dipe products on the market. :grin I started using Snappis and nifty covers and some AIOs... Ahhh, for the first time, cloth was FUN! :giggle )

Mommainrwanda 02-27-2012 11:59 PM

If I was to just consider Snappis against *nothing* they would be a little frightening. Compared to diaper pins? Snappis are downy soft! (In my mind :giggle)

ShangriLewis 02-28-2012 12:36 AM

I have been using prefolds for years and never needed them. I just use the right covers. I like prefolds because they are so trim. My latest edition likes to take off his diapers so I do need to keep him dressed:giggle

gerberadaisy 02-28-2012 12:37 AM

Snappi's don't bother me. Diaper pins scare the behooty out of me. I'm afraid he'd poke his eye out. Don't ask me how that could possibly happen if it got loose from a diaper. Talk about irrational.

milkmommy 02-28-2012 12:41 AM

snappi dont bother me I keep hearing so and so horror stories of there kids getting cut my them but Ive rountinuly used them over the 7ish years of cloth diapering and have never cut my self or baby on one... However I FAR prefer pins much better fit and since we use prefodls coverless a lot no risk of snags. I LOVE pins.

Deanna

SweetCaroline 02-28-2012 04:50 AM

i started off in pins. snappis werelife changing..except when you're trying to quick change an angry baby..you grab for your snappi,only to find that its embedded itself into the carpet..:doh

tofufoofoo 02-28-2012 05:56 AM

My snappis never came loose :think and I even caught DD1 w it in. her. MOUTH once :jawdrop Scared me, but she was unharmed. Pins scare me, because I'm klutzy.

joanna 02-28-2012 06:02 AM

DH is scared of snappis :giggle

So, because he's the SAHD, he got to choose our diapering system, and it did not include Snappis. And then I won a particular cover that needed snappis- it doesn't hold the prefold in place. So now, I use snappis when I use that cover, and he never uses that cover. :giggle

Fun fact: did you know there are two sizes of snappis? I have a 14mo and recently I think he's "outgrown" the size 1, so using the snappi is much more likely to scratch him, because it just barely reaches the prefold corners I'm trying to pull around him. That does make me nervous. I really need to pick up some Size 2's.

Close2MyHeart 02-28-2012 06:28 AM

I used to diaper my younger siblings w/ cloth diapers and pins, so snappis seemed sooo much better to me than that!! :giggle

mommy9994 02-28-2012 06:45 AM

not afraid of snappis, but I don't like them. I like pins