Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Natural Cleaning Recipes (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=114066)

Mothering by Heart 03-15-2005 02:28 PM

Natural Cleaning Recipes

These are my favorite cleaning recipes. They smell wonderful and even dh likes them :tu Please add your recipes if you have any :)

Anti-bacterial cleaner
I use this for cleaning bathroom, kitchen counter, most anywhere
4 cups water
1t detergent
1/4-1/2 c vinegar
20 drops lavender eo
20 drops tea tree oil
Put all in spray bottle.

Glass Cleaner
I think this works much better than choke-inducing windex ;)
4 cups water
6 T vinegar
½ t detergent

SOAP *originally posted by Abinsmom*

INGREDIENTS
8 oz coconut oil
8 oz olive oil (pomace)
¼ oz beeswax
2.6 oz lye (Red Devil brand)
¾ cup cold water
1 TBS nutrient oil (jojoba, aloe, shea butter, etc.)
2 tsp essential oil (the 'smellies'!)
¼ cup oatmeal, cornmeal, or herbs (I stopped doing this – got tired of cleaning it off the shower floor!)

I make this in at least a quadruple batch (and actually usually a quadruple-quadruple batch) which makes it more worth my time and gives me more options for different types of aroma combinations. If I make the quad-quad batch, I end up with 8 diaper-wipe containersful, 2 of each ‘flavor’. Each diaper-wipe container cuts up to about 8 bars of soap.

PROCEDURE
Prepare soap molds by greasing well with shortening or by lining with plastic garbage bags (I use cellophane grocery bags in diaper-wipe containers, but be careful the print side is facing the surface of the diaper-wipe container or it will leech onto the soap!).

Melt solid fats (coconut oil, olive oil, and beeswax) in non-reactive pan over low heat.

Meanwhile, in plenty of ventilation (I do this outside), dissolve lye in cold water. Stir to completely dissolve the lye – and don’t use a wooden spoon! This is a volatile reaction and creates heat – use caution!

When both the oils and the lye water reach 95-98 degrees F (I actually fudge this a little and allow both to be as high as 115 degrees – the important thing is that they are relatively the same temperature and close to the target temp of 95-98 degrees), slowly drizzle the lye water into the oils while stirring. Stir continuously for at least 15 minutes.

When the mixture thickens to the point that a drizzle stays suspended a moment on the surface before sinking into the mixture, it is said to be ‘tracing’ (I've found that this can take a VERY long time! To speed up the process, you can use a hand-held blender for 20-30 seconds at a time and check for tracing). Once tracing, add any dry ingredients (oatmeal, cornmeal, etc.), then nutrient oils, then essential oils.

Pour soap into molds.

Put soap in a protected location and cover with a blanket or thick towel (I usually cover my molds with plastic wrap so the towel doesn’t come into contact with the soap surface). Leave undistrubed for 18-24 hours.

When firm enough to handle, turn out soap onto a cutting board and slice into bars.

Let soap cure in a well-ventilated location for 4-6 weeks, turning bars over halfway through curing.

Here's my favorite home cleaner recipes (most are from Kym) *originally posted by punkie*

Creamy Peppermint Soft Scrubber
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup Borax laundry booster
1 TBS Castille soap
5-10 drops peppermint essential oil (use less if pregnant)
1/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients in medium sized glass jar (I use a middle sized recycled mayo jar). Fasten lid and shake very well. Pour onto surfaces to be cleaned (formica, tile, porcelain, granite, etc.) or onto washrag and watch grime and residue disappear with very little scrubbing effort! Rinse well with the hottest water you can stand - no need to polish fixtures since they will shine so nicely after this natural cleansing.

Lavender Blossom Glass & Window Cleaner

2 cups distilled or bottled water
1?2 cup vinegar
6-8 drops lavender essential oil

Combine all ingredients in large spray bottle. Gentle shake to blend before each use. If vinegar scent is too strong, you can also add a few drops of chamomile to smooth it out a bit.

Olive-Citrus Dusting Polish
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1?4 cup lemon juice or vinegar (lemon juice is much more fragrant)
2-4 drops tangerine or sweet orange essential oil

Pour all ingredients into clean, recycled glass jar. Attach lid and gently swirl to blend ingredients. Dip soft cloth into mixture and polish to an old fashioned, healthy luster. This is also excellent for keeping wood in high quality shape as well as re-nourishing neglected or old wood. As you polish, remember all the beautiful trees that are now providing you with this sturdy furniture for your family, and appreciate the beauty they continue to provide.

Rosemary’s Residue-Removing Counter Cleanser (use a hot water rinse with this to get gunk off of counters, especially in the bathroom with hair spray!)

1?2 cup distilled or bottled water
1?2 cup castile soap
4-6 drops rosemary essential oil (if you are pregnant, have high blood pressure, or epilepsy, use sweet orange or tangerine instead.

Combine all ingredients in spray bottle, gently swirl to blend, and spray directly onto surface. Wipe with a soft cloth, then rinse well with hot tap water and enjoy the shine!

I also use a vinegar/water/EO mix for my all-purpose cleaner

My no-frills general spray cleaner is: *originally posted by Lilyma*

1 T. Murphy's Oil Soap
10-20 drops EO (Ilike lavendar best)
Water

anyways, here's my homemade laundry soap recipe: *originally posted by Boston'smama*

2/3 bar grated zote soap
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda (not baking soda, still by arm and hammer, but in a yellow box, not orange)

mix up and store in a recycled glass jar---
use 1 TB. per load of laundry....smells great and lasts forever! nice save on $$ too

I make a soft scrub that is similar to Kym's recipe that Amanda posted, but it doesn't contain Borax (which I avoid). I modified it from two that were on the old GCM:*originally posted by Gretchen*

1 cup (or a little less) Baking Soda
1/4 cup Castile Soap (I use peppermint scented)
1/4 cup water
1 T. vinegar
25 drops tea tree oil

I mix this all together and then pour into a empty dish detergent bottle to dispense. I use this on sinks, tubs and toilets. It could be used on countertops, but I can't rinse mine without making a mess so I use vinegar and water w/some EOs mixed in on the counters

Vinegar and Peroxide disinfecting spray*originally posted by SusieSnowflake*
I found this great idea for a non-toxic disinfectant method using vinegar and hydrogenperoxide disinfectant spray Basically you spray vinegar on the surface first, immediately followed by hydrogen peroxide (3%) or vice versa, order does not matter. It is supposed to be more effective than mixing them together or using them alone. HTH!

Microwave Cleaner *originally posted by punkie*

1/4 c. baking soda
1 tsp vinegar
5-6 drops thyme, lemongrass, or lemon essential oil (I used lemon)

Combine all ingredients and make a paste. Apply to the inside of the microwave using a soft cloth or sponge. Rinse well and leave the microwave door open to air dry for 25 minutes

Abinsmom 03-19-2005 10:51 PM

Re: Natural Cleaning Recipes

I make my own soap -- not sure if this is appropriate here or not, but I'll throw it out there!
--------------------------

SOAP

INGREDIENTS
8 oz coconut oil
8 oz olive oil (pomace)
¼ oz beeswax
2.6 oz lye (Red Devil brand)
¾ cup cold water
1 TBS nutrient oil (jojoba, aloe, shea butter, etc.)
2 tsp essential oil (the 'smellies'!)
¼ cup oatmeal, cornmeal, or herbs (I stopped doing this – got tired of cleaning it off the shower floor!)

I make this in at least a quadruple batch (and actually usually a quadruple-quadruple batch) which makes it more worth my time and gives me more options for different types of aroma combinations. If I make the quad-quad batch, I end up with 8 diaper-wipe containersful, 2 of each ‘flavor’. Each diaper-wipe container cuts up to about 8 bars of soap.

PROCEDURE
Prepare soap molds by greasing well with shortening or by lining with plastic garbage bags (I use cellophane grocery bags in diaper-wipe containers, but be careful the print side is facing the surface of the diaper-wipe container or it will leech onto the soap!).

Melt solid fats (coconut oil, olive oil, and beeswax) in non-reactive pan over low heat.

Meanwhile, in plenty of ventilation (I do this outside), dissolve lye in cold water. Stir to completely dissolve the lye – and don’t use a wooden spoon! This is a volatile reaction and creates heat – use caution!

When both the oils and the lye water reach 95-98 degrees F (I actually fudge this a little and allow both to be as high as 115 degrees – the important thing is that they are relatively the same temperature and close to the target temp of 95-98 degrees), slowly drizzle the lye water into the oils while stirring. Stir continuously for at least 15 minutes.

When the mixture thickens to the point that a drizzle stays suspended a moment on the surface before sinking into the mixture, it is said to be ‘tracing’ (I've found that this can take a VERY long time! To speed up the process, you can use a hand-held blender for 20-30 seconds at a time and check for tracing). Once tracing, add any dry ingredients (oatmeal, cornmeal, etc.), then nutrient oils, then essential oils.

Pour soap into molds.

Put soap in a protected location and cover with a blanket or thick towel (I usually cover my molds with plastic wrap so the towel doesn’t come into contact with the soap surface). Leave undistrubed for 18-24 hours.

When firm enough to handle, turn out soap onto a cutting board and slice into bars.

Let soap cure in a well-ventilated location for 4-6 weeks, turning bars over halfway through curing.

Punkie 03-20-2005 09:25 AM

Oooh, I'd love to make my own soap, but I've always been afraid that I'd mess up and hurt myself :P

Here's my favorite home cleaner recipes (most are from Kym)

Creamy Peppermint Soft Scrubber
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup Borax laundry booster
1 TBS Castille soap
5-10 drops peppermint essential oil (use less if pregnant)
1/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients in medium sized glass jar (I use a middle sized recycled mayo jar). Fasten lid and shake very well. Pour onto surfaces to be cleaned (formica, tile, porcelain, granite, etc.) or onto washrag and watch grime and residue disappear with very little scrubbing effort! Rinse well with the hottest water you can stand - no need to polish fixtures since they will shine so nicely after this natural cleansing.

Lavender Blossom Glass & Window Cleaner

2 cups distilled or bottled water
1?2 cup vinegar
6-8 drops lavender essential oil

Combine all ingredients in large spray bottle. Gentle shake to blend before each use. If vinegar scent is too strong, you can also add a few drops of chamomile to smooth it out a bit.

Olive-Citrus Dusting Polish
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1?4 cup lemon juice or vinegar (lemon juice is much more fragrant)
2-4 drops tangerine or sweet orange essential oil

Pour all ingredients into clean, recycled glass jar. Attach lid and gently swirl to blend ingredients. Dip soft cloth into mixture and polish to an old fashioned, healthy luster. This is also excellent for keeping wood in high quality shape as well as re-nourishing neglected or old wood. As you polish, remember all the beautiful trees that are now providing you with this sturdy furniture for your family, and appreciate the beauty they continue to provide.

Rosemary’s Residue-Removing Counter Cleanser (use a hot water rinse with this to get gunk off of counters, especially in the bathroom with hair spray!)

1?2 cup distilled or bottled water
1?2 cup castile soap
4-6 drops rosemary essential oil (if you are pregnant, have high blood pressure, or epilepsy, use sweet orange or tangerine instead.

Combine all ingredients in spray bottle, gently swirl to blend, and spray directly onto surface. Wipe with a soft cloth, then rinse well with hot tap water and enjoy the shine!

I also use a vinegar/water/EO mix for my all-purpose cleaner :)

Lady TS 03-20-2005 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothering by Heart
These are my favorite cleaning recipes. They smell wonderful and even dh likes them :tu Please add your recipes if you have any :)

Anti-bacterial cleaner
I use this for cleaning bathroom, kitchen counter, most anywhere
4 cups water
1t detergent
1/4-1/2 c vinegar
20 drops lavender eo
20 drops tea tree oil
Put all in spray bottle.

Glass Cleaner
I think this works much better than choke-inducing windex ;)
4 cups water
6 T vinegar
½ t detergent

Silly question, but when you say detergent, do you mean like Dawn dishwashing detergent?
I've been slowly switching over to natural cleaners. Glad to have found this! Thanks ladies!

Mothering by Heart 03-20-2005 10:20 PM

Quote:

Silly question, but when you say detergent, do you mean like Dawn dishwashing detergent?
I use my liquid laundry detergent. But I have seen similar recipes that omit the detergent and just use the eo's and vinegar, so you could do that, too :)

Lillyma 03-21-2005 11:42 AM

My no-frills general spray cleaner is:

1 T. Murphy's Oil Soap
10-20 drops EO (Ilike lavendar best)
Water

bostonsmama 03-23-2005 08:25 PM

punkie--

why do your recipes call for bottled or distilled water? i always have just used tap water w/my vinegar spray bottles... :blush

i guess now im going to start buying distilled water!!

also, how often do you gals change your window cleaner bottles and/or basic cleaners? i make mine in a pretty big spray bottle and i only change it about once a month or so---ive been wanting to find out if i need to change it more often!?!?

thanks so much!!

Mothering by Heart 03-23-2005 11:43 PM

Do you mean change it like, throw out the old and make new? Or have to manke new.

I never throw any out. I use old Method cleaner spray bottles. I usually have to make new every week and a half-or so.

PurpleButterfly 03-24-2005 01:27 AM

It is so rewarding, peaceful and honestly fun to make homemade aromatherapy cleansers!

Here's my ds making (and then using) our favorite Peppermint Soft Scrubber last week! He loves to choose the essential oils and this batch had both peppermint and lemongrass. We couldn't stop sniffing the air the whole day as we cleaned together. :)

Oops - just remembered this is a public forum. I'll post the pics in my blog! ;)

Punkie 03-27-2005 09:36 AM

I just use tap water and I've never had a problem. I use relatively small spray bottles, and go through it pretty quickly, and I've never had a problem with the tap water. If I wasn't using these cleaners, I'd be wiping everything down with tap water anyways :P

catholicapmom 03-27-2005 01:57 PM

Where do you get your eo's? I saw some in the store the other day for $25 for what would seem to me to be only about 10 drops. :eek

bostonsmama 03-28-2005 12:02 PM

whoa melanie! that sounds outrageously high.....i either buy mine online or at some local healthfood/herb stores. you can buy them on ebay i know....other mamas may be able to help you out as far as a good online store goes. i usually pay no more than $10 for a bigger bottle....even the small bottles have a lot in them...im sure more than 10 drops. :shrug

anyways, here's my homemade laundry soap recipe:

2/3 bar grated zote soap
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda (not baking soda, still by arm and hammer, but in a yellow box, not orange)

mix up and store in a recycled glass jar---
use 1 TB. per load of laundry....smells great and lasts forever! nice save on $$ too :)

Gretchen 03-29-2005 12:38 PM

I make a soft scrub that is similar to Kym's recipe that Amanda posted, but it doesn't contain Borax (which I avoid). I modified it from two that were on the old GCM:

1 cup (or a little less) Baking Soda
1/4 cup Castile Soap (I use peppermint scented)
1/4 cup water
1 T. vinegar
25 drops tea tree oil

I mix this all together and then pour into a empty dish detergent bottle to dispense. I use this on sinks, tubs and toilets. It could be used on countertops, but I can't rinse mine without making a mess ;) so I use vinegar and water w/some EOs mixed in on the counters.

Gretchen

Punkie 03-31-2005 10:57 AM

Whoa!
I get mine at the health food store. Wild Oats and Whole foods have them for around $5 and they last FOREVER.

Celeste 05-07-2005 10:13 AM

I love this thread! I'm about to go try the window cleaner idea. Now I have a question. I saw some ants by my front door yesterday and thought maybe pouring a little vinegar would deter them. umm NOT. :hissyfit anybody got any ideas for that?