Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   How much does your family spend on fireworks? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=519680)

kiloyd 06-29-2016 08:53 PM

How much does your family spend on fireworks?

Dh has started buying some the past few years. I thought he spent about $100. This year he went overboard and spent $350! :jawdrop:hunh I wanted him to return some but there are not returns. (Couldn't he go back and say his wife was mad? )

Soliloquy 06-29-2016 09:01 PM

Re: How much does your family spend on fireworks?

$0

We go to the community fireworks with a picnic and glow in the dark junk from Dollar Tree. About $10 worth.

ECingMama 06-29-2016 09:06 PM

Illegal here

mommylove 06-29-2016 09:23 PM

:hugheart It's hard to not be on the same page.

sweetpeasmommy 06-29-2016 09:43 PM

$24 so far. We may get $20 more if he's lucky. Lol c loves them but we don't have much money so while he would love the big booms, our budget doesn't really facilitate that. he's content enough since aside from getting one $20 firework once we've only gotten the little stuff.

It is more fun IMO than going early to get a good view, dealing with antsy little ones that want to know how much longer until they start 86563 times and the traffic afterward is... Well we don't ever have traffic issues like that in this area so just nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squiddles 06-29-2016 09:46 PM

We spend nothing, but every year SIL and her BF fly out for the holiday and go to the reservations and spend more than $1000 on stuff [emoji53]
We don't stick around to watch them set it all off...

sunflowermom 06-29-2016 09:48 PM

Were usually in the $10-$15 range, and rarely but sometimes go to the city displays. One neighborhood near a place we used to live did fundraisers and asked for donations to help sponsor their neighborhood display, which was quite fantastic. We would donate $10 or so dollars. :yes

2sunshines 06-30-2016 02:04 AM

Well, *we* never spend any money on fireworks, but that's not our thing. :shrug3 So truthfully, how much others spend on a specific "hobby" or "interest" isn't really a fair comparison, kwim? Because I can guarantee that we spend money on other hobbies or interests that many other GCMers do not.

It is really hard not being on the same page with a spouse.

For you, is this about the finances or the fireworks?

WanderingJuniper 06-30-2016 03:54 AM

:jawdrop I would be LIVID.
We might spend $25 for a whole bunch of sparklers and snakes and poppers but much more than that is illegal here.

AngelaVA 06-30-2016 04:55 AM

I think my DH has spent that much before or at least close to that much. It's really fun for him and the kids love it. It sort of depends on what else we are doing for the fourth and how our budget is looking. He definitely wouldn't buy them if it put us in financial trouble though.

Beth1231 06-30-2016 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper (Post 6024514)
:jawdrop I would be LIVID.
We might spend $25 for a whole bunch of sparklers and snakes and poppers but much more than that is illegal here.

Yes,exactly this :yes
I'm sorry there are no returns! :hugheart

This year,we live on a Texas hill (so barely a hill) and we can see five miles away from our front door. So I'm guessing we'll be able to see a lot:)

kiloyd 06-30-2016 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 6024510)
Well, *we* never spend any money on fireworks, but that's not our thing. :shrug3 So truthfully, how much others spend on a specific "hobby" or "interest" isn't really a fair comparison, kwim? Because I can guarantee that we spend money on other hobbies or interests that many other GCMers do not.

It is really hard not being on the same page with a spouse.

For you, is this about the finances or the fireworks?

More about the finances. A little about the fireworks. I think they are such a waste of money. Especially when some neighbors will do some too.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 6024515)
I think my DH has spent that much before or at least close to that much. It's really fun for him and the kids love it. It sort of depends on what else we are doing for the fourth and how our budget is looking. He definitely wouldn't buy them if it put us in financial trouble though.

We're not in financial trouble. We pay a good chunk on our debt each month. But spending $355 on fireworks to burn up in 30 minutes sure doesn't help!

He said he made a mistake. :doh Uh, yeah! I don't think I will even be able to watch the fireworks because I'll see dollars burning up.

AngelaVA 06-30-2016 05:09 AM

How much does your family spend on fireworks?

I guess I see it as creating a memory, like going on a vacation or something. I think dads like it because they get to do something that's fun for them and excites and amazes the kids. I'm not defending him, he should have discussed it with you first, just trying to explain what his perspective possibly is.

Also the fireworks shops are a lot like many of the shopping party deals marketed to women in the sense that the more you spend the more extras and freebies you get. It's easy to get sucked in to buying more than you intended.

Aerynne 06-30-2016 05:28 AM

About $20, which is our entertainment budget for the month. Sometimes the kids spend their own money on more. I don't think dh would get them at all- I'm the one who does it.

There's not necessarily anything wrong with spending $350, either, but both spouses need to agree on that. Is this indicative of a larger budget problem?

knitlove 06-30-2016 06:43 AM

If we lived somewhere where we could shoot them off we would probably spend about 100, but if I had older kids I can completely see saving up to spend more. It is so much fun!