Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Fermentation support thread :D (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=415314)

Thankfulforgrace 07-28-2011 04:08 PM

Re: Fermentation support thread :D

So my beet kvass is suppose to be ready today so I just tasted it and it seemed watery-not strong enough. I wonder if it's either I didn't use big enough beets or if it needs to go longer than two days.... :think

curlymopmom 07-28-2011 06:03 PM

I wanted to come on and ask basically the same thing. What is beet kvass supposed to taste like? Mine tastes like beets. :shrug3

Thankfulforgrace 07-28-2011 06:05 PM

Mine tastest like watery beets. It's good but I'm not sure if it's right. It's a little sour...

ReedleBeetle 07-28-2011 06:28 PM

sub, I need to start more ferments. I need stuff Isaac will eat/drink. I can get goat's milk tomorrow. I have water kefir grains coming Sat. so I can hopefully make fermented coconut cream...and I'm hoping it is good. :shifty

WingsOfTheMorning 07-28-2011 07:30 PM

Finally coming back to this thread! I just got a copy of Wild Fermentation.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReedleBeetle (Post 4066579)
so I can hopefully make fermented coconut cream...and I'm hoping it is good. :shifty

I've been trying to figure out how to make kefir from coconut milk. Do I buy milk grains or water grains? I'm worried about the cow's milk residue on milk grains... (I'd like to try with goat's milk eventually, but I'm not sure yet if the baby can tolerate me drinking goat's milk.)

ReedleBeetle 07-28-2011 08:54 PM

I saw to use water kefir grains.

Soliloquy 07-28-2011 10:24 PM

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/homem...ut-milk-kefir/
in this picture he has milk grains. You can rinse them really well with filtered water. But I think water grains would work, too, but you might need to add fruit. Water grains need fructose, I think. I'm not an expert on water kefir by any means.

AngelaVA 07-29-2011 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4063153)
Am I going to be the first GCM to ferment herring and sardines? :jump :yum. I .

I'd love to hear how it goes. Strangely pickled herrring was one of my favorite snacks as a child, actually I liked it as an adult too but I've never ever seen it sold in Virginia anywhere.

Soliloquy 07-29-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 4067112)
I'd love to hear how it goes. Strangely pickled herrring was one of my favorite snacks as a child, actually I liked it as an adult too but I've never ever seen it sold in Virginia anywhere.

Me too! I've always loved pickled herring. My kids love it for breakfast but the store bought kind has sugar in it. My mom used to buy it for us at Costco and all the supermarkets here carry it-- there's a big Scandinavian population up here.

I will definitely post when I make it.

WingsOfTheMorning 07-29-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4066969)
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/homem...ut-milk-kefir/
in this picture he has milk grains. You can rinse them really well with filtered water. But I think water grains would work, too, but you might need to add fruit. Water grains need fructose, I think. I'm not an expert on water kefir by any means.

Didn't know I could rinse them. Thanks!

AngelaVA 08-05-2011 05:28 PM

Today I got a whole bunch of blueberries and peaches from the farm market. A lot of them we will just eat or freeze but I'm hoping to try some fermentation too. I think I will go ahead and get some whey from some yogurt - my DDs are not really reacting to dairy any more I'm still trying to avoid it for the most part but it might be worthy of experimentation.

I want to try the berry preserves if I can get the appropriate kind of pectin. http://gnowfglins.com/2011/07/08/fer...rry-preserves/

I'd really like to make some sort of peach butter, I'm iffy on making peach chutney, I am the only one in my family who will eat chutney and I only eat it on curry, which I never make because no one else will eat curry either :-/ I checked Nourishing Traditions and am googling but not coming up with much besides chutney for peaches though.

Lady TS 08-05-2011 05:33 PM

:popcorn

Soliloquy 08-05-2011 06:38 PM

In post 89 I have a recipe for fermented apricot butter, I bet you could use peaches, just skip the soaking.

DancingWithElves 08-05-2011 06:46 PM

my family made all kinds of fermented fish, but i'm too scared :shifty plus ours was fresh out of the lake and i'm afraid to do it with something from the store. i adore pickled herring and also the dried fermented fish we make. caribbean salt fish is good too. :yes

Blue-EyedLady 08-05-2011 08:40 PM

I started a batch of pickles yesterday - the "bubbies" recipe someone linked to a while back. I didn't have enough for a full batch of cukes, so I threw some squash from my garden in there too.

By this morning, the jar had already overflowed and leaked onto the counter. I squished my grape leaves down and let some of the trapped gasses escape.

Trapped gasses is good, yes?