Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Fermentation support thread :D (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=415314)

bananacake 08-18-2011 11:44 AM

Re: Fermentation support thread :D

I should probably harvest my pickles, then. They've been going a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

AngelaVA 08-18-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 4109042)
I should probably harvest my pickles, then. They've been going a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

:yes I would at least taste one.

bananacake 08-18-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 4109053)
:yes I would at least taste one.

Oh my, they are very good :yum

BarefootBetsy 08-18-2011 01:55 PM

Even Wal-mart has non-iodized sea salt around here... I was always told to use non-iodized. Does anyone here use the iodized kind?

bananacake 08-18-2011 02:45 PM

My sea salt just says sea salt. I can't use unrefined sea salt because someone has sulfur allergies.

Um, I need another fridge to support my fermenting habit :shifty I asked the farm where we get our CSA if I could get a bulk discount on pickling cukes. They said a case is $20. I figure since they are usually $2/lb, it was a good deal. It's 36 lbs of cucumbers! I also bought a case of canning tomatoes, 25# lbs or so.

Maybe I should Learn to can :doh
Posted via Mobile Device

joysworld 08-18-2011 07:06 PM

Okay, I've only attempted to make one jar of fermented carrots, and I must have misunderstood what I was suppose to do. I put the carrots in a jar with water and two tbl sp of sea salt. I thought they were suppose to sit for two weeks, so that's what I did. They came out awful. :sick So, how exactly does one ferment carrots correctly? I didn't use whey, because I don't have any yet.

Thankfulforgrace 08-18-2011 07:08 PM

My salsa was fine. I do think I remember it was only a day or so though.

mummy2boys 08-18-2011 07:16 PM

Just a note to say I have stickied this thread for you all :smile

WingsOfTheMorning 08-19-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joysworld (Post 4109857)
Okay, I've only attempted to make one jar of fermented carrots, and I must have misunderstood what I was suppose to do. I put the carrots in a jar with water and two tbl sp of sea salt. I thought they were suppose to sit for two weeks, so that's what I did. They came out awful. :sick So, how exactly does one ferment carrots correctly? I didn't use whey, because I don't have any yet.

I haven't done carrots yet, so hopefully someone will chime in who has. :) But I'd suggest checking them every day after the first few days. You can also add spices like peppercorns and dill.

How did you cover them? Were they completely submerged in the brine?

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 4106427)
I see a pickled pepper recipe in NT but not a spicy pepper one. I'm thinking about the jars of jalepenos you can get in the store and put on nachos and stuff and wondering if I can do a lactofermented version?

I just found this recipe you might like. :D

bananacake 08-19-2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

For carrots, I let mine go 1 week. I used 2 T of salt for a quart, plus dill & garlic. 2 weeks is probably too long.
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

I don't use whey either, as we are dairy-free.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Thankfulforgrace 08-19-2011 08:05 AM

Carrots are for 4-7 days I believe. I usually do only 5.

bananacake 08-19-2011 02:10 PM

So for someone who has done fermented kraut, pickles, salsa, dilly carrots and (failed) beets, what else should I try?

bananacake 08-21-2011 01:18 PM

What kind of jars do you all ferment in? I've used a bucket, but I'm not a big fan.

I've mostly used wide mouth quart-sized Ball jars, and some pint sized. Anyone used the narrow mouths?

I have so many pickles to make......Made 5 quarts of pickles this morn & barely made a dent in the box! I also pureed and diced 12+ lbs of toms.

Thankfulforgrace 08-21-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 4114217)
What kind of jars do you all ferment in? I've used a bucket, but I'm not a big fan.

I've mostly used wide mouth quart-sized Ball jars, and some pint sized. Anyone used the narrow mouths?

I have so many pickles to make......Made 5 quarts of pickles this morn & barely made a dent in the box! I also pureed and diced 12+ lbs of toms.

I do narrow mouth for when I'm out of wide mouth or when I do pickles. The only way I've figured out on how to keep pickles down is do a narrow mouth quart jar and put a glass baby food jar filled with water in the mouth which fits almost perfectly and keeps it down...

Wow, that sounds exhausting :wink. You are doing great!

AngelaVA 08-22-2011 04:52 AM

I use mason jars too - it's pretty easy then to go straight to the fridge with them. I use sweetpeasmommy's idea when I need to weigh something down I use a ziplock bag filled with water. I know plastic is not the ideal but it's what works for me right now.