Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   DYT + painting and decorating your home (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=507966)

Taedareth 08-21-2014 07:25 PM

DYT + painting and decorating your home

Let's talk about how we can use DYT principles to personalize our home environments. I can think of a few ways to do this:

*Style according to your own Type, if you're the only person in the family who cares about what the house looks like :giggle

*Consider who uses each room the most, and style those rooms according to that person's Type.

*Combine your Type and your DH's Type and decorate the house accordingly.

*If multiple family members share a Type (it might be a primary for some and a secondary for others) then style the home environment after that Type.

What have you done? Tell us about your adventures! And post pictures!!

MegMarch 08-21-2014 08:01 PM

Re: DYT + painting and decorating your home

DH is a 2/something, probably 1 and I'm a 1/2, barely leading with the 1ness. We do a lot of whites with 2ish paint colors and bright and bold pops of color for some fun, along with all our random crud that has been handed down, bought in a pinch to fill a need, etc.

DD seems to be a 2/3 imo. For her room we are pretty much doing the same as the rest of the house. Lots of whites mixed with softer colors, though she has more color and activity in pattern going on.

Wonder Woman 08-21-2014 08:14 PM

My office is totally T3 steampunk :shifty Gears, copper, walls that are painted deep burgundy and then texturized with a random treatment overlay :giggle

My bedroom is currently chocolate brown, with T3 green accents.

Funny story there...I woke Dh up on a Thursday morning at 2am and said "The bedroom HAS TO BE redone. That's it, I'm done with it, it's got to go." He said "ok :yawn" and went back to bed.
By Sunday night the bedroom had been completely redone :shifty

Some of my other rooms, well...I'm pretty sure the kiddo is a T2 either as a primary or secondary. He was 3 when I was renovating some rooms, and I actually picked a soft lavender for the hallway leading to his room, because I was transitioning from the deep sea green of my dining room to the cream and purple and dark green of my bathroom.

He was looking at colours and getting more and more agitated, and started sobbing asking to "pwease" pick out "ONE COWOW!" so I let him choose the colour for the guest bathroom.

He very happily reached for the most T2 grey there could ever be, and said "dat one. It's peacefuw." and that is how I have a T2 room in my home :P

Kiara.I 08-21-2014 08:26 PM

I like to think of what the room will be *for*.
My T3 self likes to relax and be soothed in T2-type decorating. A bedroom, for instance would be a nice place for soothing tones and flowing lines.

A kitchen might be a better place to Get Things Done. And therefore decorated in a more vibrant way...

ECingMama 08-21-2014 08:34 PM

My DD' s room is T1. I'd like the rest of the house to be T4.

Taedareth 08-21-2014 08:37 PM

Um, Reb will be evicted from this thread unless she posts pictures of her steampunky office :shifty :poke

mommylove 08-21-2014 09:43 PM

I am lucky that DH & I are the same type . . . makes things pretty easy. :giggle

MrsHutch 08-22-2014 05:32 AM

Without thinking about it, I'd say my house turned out to be a good blend of my 1/2 personality. It's neutral and calming, but also with lots of fun color.

emerald 08-22-2014 09:17 PM

Living room is the only room that feels like its close to coming together...it has light grey (walls), with some darker grey (curtains and slipcovers, rug) and some plum (pillows and throw), dark wood floor. A couple of white-washed/shabby bookshelves, some burlap accents.
Kitchen is plum with white cabinets, not sure about the shade.

I try to add in the boys' types in accents in their rooms. I'm not positive on all their types yet, but I think DS11 is 3/1, DS5 is 2/4, and DS1 maybe 1/3 or 3/1.

Playroom is light brown with a lot of red and some vintage cowboy prints (sewn on the bottom on red curtains, pillowcases)

Our bedroom is shades of plum and lilac and will be adding in grey, too. Bathrooms are light grey, white cabinets.

How would you add in t2 decor for a 5 yr old boy?:think

Taedareth 08-22-2014 09:36 PM

I'd just choose a muted shade of his favorite color, along with a theme he likes (dinosaurs, robots, etc.) :)

Kiara.I 08-23-2014 12:41 AM

And pewter or brushed steel fittings instead of brass, like for lamp bases or drawer pulls.

Teacher Mom 08-23-2014 06:45 AM

no....my colors in my home are not t4 colors......

my kitchen walls are a chocolate martini brown...cabinets white

LR - furniture is brown...in my dream world, I would love to have white furniture. Walls are a light lilac.

DR - is a t2 calm green....and sunroom a calm blue...

bathroom - light grey with deep t4 purple towels.

and my new camper I just redid???? My t4 - repainted it all white, but added in fun accessories for my t1 side.....I LOVE it!!!!! Camper it TOTALLY me!!!!!

Taedareth 08-23-2014 01:53 PM

Show us some pictures of this camper you love!!

And everybody who described your beautiful houses, please post pictures!! The verbal descriptions sounds fantastic but you know what they say about pictures ;)

Meanwhile, back at my house... The hubby said he will paint the kitchen and living room ANY COLOR I want :tu At first I was thinking T4, so I went to the store for paint chips. But I could only find two colors that might probably qualify as T4: a cobalt blue and Chinese red. They do look great together but it's not quite the combo I wanted in my kitchen :giggle Plus, the blue is really deep and would look almost black under artificial lighting at night. Meh. I guess the alternative is either a white/black scheme, which I don't want. Or maybe a very pale wall color, lighter than pastel. That might look like an "ice" color :shrug3

Alternatively, we could pick a T2-ish scheme because everybody in the family (except one of the kids) has T2 as either a primary or secondary. But no way am I painting anything gray :giggle We have overcast skies and rain 9 months of the year, and I feel blah under all that gray. Must paint some vivacious colors on the walls to keep up my spirits :)

So the best compromise I can think of is to pick medium-value colors (not pastel and not too dark) that are vibrant enough for my T4 but muted enough to be comfortable for T2's. These are the swatches I'm currently working with. The white is "ultra white.

http://i61.tinypic.com/s4qrzs.jpg http://i61.tinypic.com/nvnod5.jpg

ValiantJoy07 08-23-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiara.I (Post 5818459)
I like to think of what the room will be *for*.
My T3 self likes to relax and be soothed in T2-type decorating. A bedroom, for instance would be a nice place for soothing tones and flowing lines.

A kitchen might be a better place to Get Things Done. And therefore decorated in a more vibrant way...

:yes our bedroom is very T2 with a color blue called "sigh" and accent walls of buttery bisque called "old time bakery". The trim is "Historic [some thing] Maple" (I can't remember the name:giggle).

The girls room is a mix of T1 and T2, playful and peaceful in a cool "starlight" which is a silver/white/pink and "purplelicious" which is a bright playful accent walls.

Our kitchen is bright yellow and quite T3, with chevron T3 colored curtains and other T3 accents.

Our family room is T3/1 :giggleWith a dirty/sunny cream (called evening glow) on textured walls and a warm T3 yellow I can't remember what it was called ("evening in the city"?:think) and flooring called "[Some thing] old barn boards".

Our bathrooms are T3 as well. :giggle I don't know if my Moms DYT is a 3, but it appeals to her too apparently. :giggle

RiverRock 08-28-2014 04:32 PM

This thread is fascinating! My home is very T2 with a lot of greyed out green. Taedareth and I live in the same area, and I just last week had my rec. room and spare bedroom painted grey. Specifically it is Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore and it is so pretty! :giggle

In my house I have a lot of natural tones, but also black and dark brown accents. I think I am dyt 2/4.

My oldest dd and my dh are probably dyt 3, and they protested a colour change in our dining room. I was going to paint it a lighter colour, but they insisted on keeping the deep burgundy that is in that room.