Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Fermentation support thread :D (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=415314)

Soliloquy 08-07-2011 09:13 AM

Re: Fermentation support thread :D

Yes, good!! In warm weather I "burp" my jars when I think about it and don't screw the lids on very tightly.

AngelaVA 08-08-2011 09:15 AM

The blueberry preserves came out so yummy!!! I know my kids will eat them and hopefully not react to the whey. It's been only 24 hours but they taste fermented to me. The directions say 2 days but I think I'm going to transfer them to the fridge to make sure to avoid the alcohol taste I got when I let my salsa go for 36 hours instead. That won't mess them up will it?

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4083689)
In post 89 I have a recipe for fermented apricot butter, I bet you could use peaches, just skip the soaking.

So far so good with this, I purreed about 8 cups of diced peaches and then cooked them down to about 4 1/2 cups so sort of the reverse of what she's doing with the dried fruit in the NT's butters I think (hope). They taste really good so far, they don't taste fermented yet though so I'm still waiting.

shirelingmum 08-08-2011 01:36 PM

so totally unrelated (well not completely:P) but i'm so excited for this thread! i make all sorts of fermented things like water kefir, milk kefir, kombucha, yogurt, etc. wanting to find others who do and hone my skills too^_^ great to see/meet you all! (i've been a part of GCM for a while but knew that i needed to be more involved as of late! i need Gentle encouragement!) so anyhow. sweet;)

AngelaVA 08-10-2011 01:58 PM

My pickles actually worked this time!!! :jump2 Eating one right now.

Thankfulforgrace 08-10-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 4093005)
My pickles actually worked this time!!! :jump2 Eating one right now.

Oh good!!! I'm happy for you. It's so frustrating to go to tons of work and have it not turn out!

wallflowermama 08-10-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thankfulforgrace (Post 4066326)
So my beet kvass is suppose to be ready today so I just tasted it and it seemed watery-not strong enough. I wonder if it's either I didn't use big enough beets or if it needs to go longer than two days.... :think

Not sure if someone already answered your question or not, but I just made mine too(with salt only) and they taste like salty beet water. :shrug3
I made them before with whey and it was basically the same taste. So I'm guessing that's fine.

If they are sour that's probably okay too...:think

bananacake 08-11-2011 03:27 PM

Can I make pickles out of regular cukes?

I got about 11+ pounds of "seconds" heirloom tomatoes today for $8.98 :rockon Fermented salsa, here I come!

Blue-EyedLady 08-11-2011 09:03 PM

Ok, my pickles have quite a "bite" to them, but they're not really sour yet. However, the water has gotten quite cloudy. Do I stick them in the fridge or let them go a little longer? They've been on the counter since last Thursday (so 1 week) and the house is about 75 degrees.

The dilly carrots have a milder bite, but are also not yet sour. They've been going since Saturday, so 5 days now. The jar foams every time I open it. DH says that's just not right! :lol

ReedleBeetle 08-11-2011 10:45 PM

I find dilly carrots are best after 7 days and then get better the longer they are in the fridge. However, they don't keep well after a certain point, it seems.

AngelaVA 08-12-2011 04:16 AM

My kids really liked the pickles, they already finished one of the quart jars, I am contemplating putting more cucumbers back in the same brine to try again, it seems like it would still be good. :think

everydaygrace 08-12-2011 05:47 PM

Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between alcohol and other fermented foods? Does alcohol not have the probiotic benefit? And if not, why not?

AngelaVA 08-13-2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everydaygrace (Post 4097784)
Okay, I'm curious. What is the difference between alcohol and other fermented foods? Does alcohol not have the probiotic benefit? And if not, why not?

I think you can make home fermented beer and wine that does have probiotic benefits but the storebought kind is too processed. Other fermented foods you are going for 'lacto' variety bacterias instead of alcohol. Sometimes with fruit stuff you may get trace amounts of alcohol depending on how well it went. I think that's way you have to have whey or a starter culture with fruit, to avoid making wine instead.

curlymopmom 08-14-2011 07:14 PM

I'm avoiding my ferments. I've been distracted this week and most of them have mold on the top.

IIRC, I can just take the mold off and keep the rest... Right? :shifty

abbiroads 08-15-2011 05:53 AM

right, though some survive that better than others. I have had cabage turn a really gross gray.

Thankfulforgrace 08-15-2011 07:21 AM

So no pickling cucumbers or good tomatoes at the farmers market. boo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlymopmom (Post 4101067)
I'm avoiding my ferments. I've been distracted this week and most of them have mold on the top.

IIRC, I can just take the mold off and keep the rest... Right? :shifty

Depends on how they taste. Slimy I believe isn't good.