Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Fermentation support thread :D (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=415314)

MTmomma 10-19-2011 04:47 PM

Re: Fermentation support thread :D

I love soups with kraut. My mom makes a dill potato soup that is just delicious!

Speaking of kraut, I checked on my crock today, and I think my 6 gallons is perfectly ready! Now I'm debating on what I want to do with it. My grandma always canned hers, but I don't really want to lose the super powers that is has right now. On the other hand, I don't have cold storage for it, and I don't want it to go bad. Thoughts?

abbiroads 10-19-2011 04:49 PM

If I put ferments in my crockpot on warm would that be to high of a temperature? I have three jars of dilly carrots that are ready but my saukraut I started weeks ago is still no where close and my salsa isn't ready either.

bananacake 10-20-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbiroads (Post 4230060)
If I put ferments in my crockpot on warm would that be to high of a temperature? I have three jars of dilly carrots that are ready but my saukraut I started weeks ago is still no where close and my salsa isn't ready either.

It would be too warm in mine. Mt "warm" setting is very warm.

AngelaVA 10-23-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbiroads (Post 4230060)

I wonder if you put them on warm and left the cover open what temp it would be? Do you have a heating pad? Maybe you could place it in the cupboard with the ferments for a couple hours and then keep the cupboard closed to trap the warmth?

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTmomma (Post 4230052)
I love soups with kraut. My mom makes a dill potato soup that is just delicious!

Speaking of kraut, I checked on my crock today, and I think my 6 gallons is perfectly ready! Now I'm debating on what I want to do with it. My grandma always canned hers, but I don't really want to lose the super powers that is has right now. On the other hand, I don't have cold storage for it, and I don't want it to go bad. Thoughts?

I think it will still be nutritious and yummy if you can it, it just won't have the probiotics in it I don't think. Otherwise maybe you can put it in smaller jars and use space in the door of your fridge if you don't have too many condiments?

We are going through sauerkraut really fast here now, I need to find a way to make larger batches - what kind of crock do you have?

MTmomma 10-23-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 4237012)

I think it will still be nutritious and yummy if you can it, it just won't have the probiotics in it I don't think. Otherwise maybe you can put it in smaller jars and use space in the door of your fridge if you don't have too many condiments?

We are going through sauerkraut really fast here now, I need to find a way to make larger batches - what kind of crock do you have?

I have a 6 gallon red wing crock that my great grandmother used. :heart

Chaos Coordinator 10-23-2011 06:42 PM

okay what do you put in them to get them to ferment? i didn't add anythign extra to my pickles, the online recipe i foudn said you could just do it with extra salt, but i dont think they're actually doing anything.

bananacake 10-24-2011 12:41 PM

Do any of you save your ferment juice and use it for something? Like with pickles, green beans or carrots that have a lot of juice leftover? Like make salad dressing? Or just drink it? :shifty

Blue-EyedLady 10-24-2011 06:33 PM

I've been using it with olive oil for salad dressing. On the GAPS diet you're supposed to drink it, but I haven't quite gone that far with it yet... :shifty

AngelaVA 10-24-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 4238951)
Do any of you save your ferment juice and use it for something? Like with pickles, green beans or carrots that have a lot of juice leftover? Like make salad dressing? Or just drink it? :shifty

I took the garlic and dill and some of the liquid from my dilly carrots and made tarter sauce, it was pretty good.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator (Post 4237481)
okay what do you put in them to get them to ferment? i didn't add anythign extra to my pickles, the online recipe i foudn said you could just do it with extra salt, but i dont think they're actually doing anything.

Yep that's it. There is naturally good bacteria on the veggies. How long have they been going, have you tasted them? I let my first pickles go waaaaaay too long, they pretty much dissolved.

Blue-EyedLady 10-24-2011 07:12 PM

Tarter sauce! I :heart tarter sauce, and I haven't had it in so long! Off to google...

bananacake 10-25-2011 09:37 AM

Another question: during the summer, I was leaving my dilly carrots for a week. It was likely 80-90 degrees. It's 65-70 now. Should I just add an extra day?
Posted via Mobile Device

2Cor1:8-10 10-25-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 4240797)
Another question: during the summer, I was leaving my dilly carrots for a week. It was likely 80-90 degrees. It's 65-70 now. Should I just add an extra day?
Posted via Mobile Device

I just keep checking mine everyday to see if they are done - smell and taste test. :shrug3

abbiroads 10-25-2011 07:25 PM

I just realized that my only ferment that has been ready in any reasonable amout of time since it started getting cool was the dilly carrots I put whey in and my sour cream. So I added whey to everything else tonight and I hope I will have some new ferments ready soon!

Chaos Coordinator 10-25-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 4239697)

Yep that's it. There is naturally good bacteria on the veggies. How long have they been going, have you tasted them? I let my first pickles go waaaaaay too long, they pretty much dissolved.

they were out for 2 days per the recipe i used, and been in the fridge a few months. i havent tasted one recently, but when i did they were just salty.

rebecuna 10-25-2011 08:39 PM

and you know dilly carrots are done when...??? I don't know what they're supposed to taste like. They taste great right now, kind of like carrot-flavored pickles, but are still crunchy... does that mean they're not done yet? How would I know if they're underdone?