Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   June Dinners (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523001)

charla 06-03-2017 08:40 PM

June Dinners

Please post what you are eating for your main meal. And as always, we love seeing links to recipes and pics of your gorgeous food! :)

knitlove 06-03-2017 08:41 PM

Re: June Dinners

Well tonight was five guys because early bird really wanted it after her ballet recital

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2sunshines 06-04-2017 03:17 AM

Unbelievable that it's June! Yay for summer!

Last night I was in hodge podge mode for dinner. We painted and did home diy renos all day so dinner was a last minute see what's in the fridge and can be thrown together sort of deal. :giggle

I sauteed onion, garlic, cabbage and thinly sliced chicken breast with some seasoning and balsamic vinegar. It was actually REALLY really good! :heart

bananacake 06-04-2017 04:15 AM

Same for us, 2sunshines. I threw a frozen pack of ground beef in some warm water to defrost. I had 3 yellow potatoes left. Boiled those. And roasted sweet potato cubes with vidalia onions. I had some massaged kale in the fridge and I steamed some fresh green beans (though DH and I ate most of them when they were raw :giggle). I cooked the ground beef as a block, then when it was halfway done, I cut it into small cubes. Added salt and onion powder. It was very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurlor 06-04-2017 08:48 AM

We had Marinated Flank Steak, grilled lemon-basil-garlic zucchini, and a Fresh Tomato Tart because I'm trying to use a million cherry tomatoes my dad gave me from his garden. I have to say, my whole family was very skeptical about the tomato tart, but we all LOVED it.

Lena O. 06-04-2017 07:28 PM

Tonight was tacos. Tomorrow I'm thinking pork chops.

MaybeGracie 06-04-2017 07:40 PM

I made burgers and DH cooked then on the BBQ. They were so good. I served them with raw veggies (red and yellow peppers, snap peas, carrots).

LilacPhoenix 06-05-2017 02:44 PM

Burrito bowls from Moe's tonight :yum

2sunshines 06-05-2017 02:51 PM

meatloaf. roasted broccoli. mashed potatoes.

The Tickle Momster 06-05-2017 07:05 PM

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls in the IP. They were good, but not spectacular. Probably won't make again. Too time/labor intensive.

Lady Grey 06-05-2017 07:15 PM

I've been doing super simple stuff lately. Tonight was fried egg sandwiches.

ViolaMum 06-05-2017 08:27 PM

I made mini meatloaves in the muffin pan topped with mashed potatoes and sauteed veggies on the side.

Virginia 06-05-2017 08:46 PM

Well, I was gone from 7 a.m - 9:30 p.m., so I had Panera... :shifty

charla 06-05-2017 09:11 PM

I made cream cheese and mushroom stuffed burgers topped with thin slices of pepper jack cheese and oven fries on the side.

schmamy 06-06-2017 09:53 AM

White chicken chili out of the freezer yesterday. Zucchini lasagna mostly out of the freezer tonight. I still have to assemble it, but I have the sauce pre-made and the zucchini already sliced (at least some of it...I might have to slice more).

greengirl19 06-06-2017 09:55 AM

We had something new and yummy last night that's all around friendly. Bowls of roasted sweet potato cubes, topped with Mexican seasoned black beans (onions, cumin, chili powder, garlic), taco type toppings like avocado, cilantro, lime, DH had cheese.

charla 06-06-2017 10:25 AM

Spicy Lemon Garlic Shrimp, Lemony Basmati Rice, Asparagus

ETA: Oh and we had fresh pineapple, too.

Lady Grey 06-06-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greengirl19 (Post 6088065)
We had something new and yummy last night that's all around friendly. Bowls of roasted sweet potato cubes, topped with Mexican seasoned black beans (onions, cumin, chili powder, garlic), taco type toppings like avocado, cilantro, lime, DH had cheese.

I can't wait to try this! I love sweet potatoes with savory stuff.

ViolaMum 06-06-2017 06:20 PM

We had chicken stir fry with snow peas and red peppers. Kids had it over rice.

MaybeGracie 06-06-2017 06:53 PM

Last night was beef stir fry (carrots, snap peas, broccoli, and mushrooms) over rice.

Tonight is pizza at the park. :tu

MamaNata 06-07-2017 01:01 AM

Smoked Salmon tonight!

LilacPhoenix 06-07-2017 07:20 AM

Last night was pork chops with baby portabella mushrooms and Japanese blend veggies

charla 06-07-2017 08:29 AM

Beef tacos, Mexican rice, cilantro and lime black beans, Mexican radish slaw

Laurlor 06-07-2017 06:40 PM

Tonight we had Crockpot Braised Beef Ragu served over creamy ricotta polenta like this minus the parmesan. Honey roasted carrots on the side.

MaybeGracie 06-07-2017 06:59 PM

Grilled chicken salad with strawberries, seeds, etc.

Lena O. 06-07-2017 07:24 PM

Tonight was Chinese take-out night. Sweet and sour chicken, beef and broccoli, egg foo young, and fried rice.

LilacPhoenix 06-08-2017 11:20 AM

Last night was salsa chicken with Rotel. I was out of frozen bell peppers and needed something to stretch the sauce!

charla 06-08-2017 12:04 PM

Greek meatballs, quinoa bend, tzakiki sauce, marinated Greek salad, sliced cucumbers

bananacake 06-08-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6088457)
Greek meatballs, quinoa bend, tzakiki sauce, marinated Greek salad, sliced cucumbers

That sounds amazing! How did you make the Greek meatballs?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

And marinated Greek salad?

charla 06-08-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6088471)
That sounds amazing! How did you make the Greek meatballs?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

And marinated Greek salad?

The meatball recipe is here. I leave out the egg with no problem at all. They are really, really yummy, and so easy to make.

I made up the marinated Greek salad. It is one can of garbanzo beans, drained; one can of quartered artichoke hearts, drained; one can of whole black olives, drained; one thinly sliced cucumber; slivers of red onion; and crumbled feta cheese marinated in a dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, granulated onion, and oregano. It really does need to marinate for a few hours to let the flavors all meld together.

bananacake 06-08-2017 02:04 PM

I wonder if the meatballs would be good without the feta?

ViolaMum 06-08-2017 02:07 PM

Today is Littlest's birthday, so I've been asking her what she wants to eat for dinner. Her response?
"Cake!"
"How about something for dinner? Can you pick something healthy?"
"I want ice cream and marshmallows and fwosting. Dat's what I want."

I tried all the usual things she'll eat (she's rather picky) and let the other girls weigh in. They decided on cheeseburgers and a salad. Littlest will probably eat some cheeseburger.

charla 06-08-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6088477)
I wonder if the meatballs would be good without the feta?

We adore feta so I haven't made them without it, but they are really flavorful with the red wine vinegar and seasonings. I think you should try it! And then let me know what you think. :yes

bananacake 06-08-2017 03:17 PM

Our local grocery had a "Buy theirs, get ours for free" sale throughout the summer. So in today's sale, if you buy Applegate grass fed beef hot dogs, you get store brand grass fed beef hot dogs for free. Since the boys finished up swim class today, we're celebrating with hot dogs and hamburgers.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by charla (Post 6088479)
We adore feta so I haven't made them without it, but they are really flavorful with the red wine vinegar and seasonings. I think you should try it! And then let me know what you think. :yes

We can't do red wine vinegar either :doh Sulfite allergy. But I'm still going to try them!

ViolaMum 06-08-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6088480)

We can't do red wine vinegar either :doh Sulfite allergy. But I'm still going to try them!

How about lemon? Lemon, garlic, and oregano are classic Greek flavors. I'd add a bit more salt, too if you leave out the feta. The cheese will add a little bit of moisture as well, so you might want to compensate for that as well. (I add flax meal or grated or pureed veggies to meatballs to keep them from drying out. The breadcrumbs in Italian meatballs is what keeps them soft and moist. Low carb versions can be dry.)

bananacake 06-08-2017 04:07 PM

I often use egg and almond meal.

milkmommy 06-08-2017 04:30 PM

Yesterday was gf oven fried chicken with green beans and baked sweet potatos.

Today paprika roasted tempeh with Brussels sprouts onion and peppers
Gf chicken nuggets for Margaret.

2sunshines 06-08-2017 04:40 PM

Oh yes! Meatballs and meatloaf are SO forgiving! I don't even follow a recipe -- just add whatever I feel like it on a whim and it always turns out delicious. :rockon I mean, there are some basic rules but it's generally just a improv thing. I'm lucky tho because my whole family LOVES meatloaf and meatballs. So it's hard to go wrong. :shrug3

bananacake 06-08-2017 05:02 PM

We usually use 85% lean ground beef that is grassfed. That's also forgiving :yes We LOVE the Thai meatballs I've mentioned several times.

charla 06-08-2017 05:44 PM

I think a little grated zucchini in the meatballs would be fabulous to add some moisture in place of the feta. I love the lemon idea. I might try that next time I make them.